Subject: 18xx at TCTC rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Terminal City Tabletop Convention (http://www.terminalcitytabletop.com/) is happening on 31 May / 1 June. If you haven't preregistered, go do that!

I'm planning on running at least one 18xx game at the con, assuming I can drum up interest.

I've got access to:
1825 Unit 2 with 1825 Extension Kit K5: Minor Companies for Unit 2
1830: Railways & Robber Barons (Mayfair reprint with errata)
1862: Railway Mania in the Eastern Counties (18EA)
18OE: On the Rails of the Orient Express (probably a bit too much for six hours, even with the 'short' scenarios)

Any thoughts on timing? I intend to start on Saturday at either 10:30 AM or 1 PM (those are the slots), and probably run over two additional slots, for a total of six hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheeler
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely be interested! I've never played before but really want to learn. I think I'd be interested most in starting at 10:30, but any time would work for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Metro Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played 1830, but I'd really love to try it. I'd also prefer 10:30, but I don't really mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. Event request submitted for Saturday 10:30 AM to 5 PM. That ought to be plenty of time for a game, even with new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheeler
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Tucker! Is there a way we're supposed to officially sign up for it, or is this good enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have absolutely no idea! Perhaps Shannon will either stop by and tell us, or update the TCTC site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheeler
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had been debating attending the show, it this event prompted me to pick up a weekend pass
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope to see a session report on your guys' game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Parker
Canada
Cobble Hill
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also a chance to win a copy of Village if you purchase your early bird ticket tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon L
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Everyone. You can register for events at the link below. Thanks for supporting the convention. Hope to see you all there.

http://www.terminalcitytabletop.com/schedule-and-events/

Note: click on "Agenda" on the calender to see the events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Planet
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, How many do you have for 18xx on Saturday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea. I'll find out when I get there, I guess.

The schedule on the website says "1 of 6." Not sure if that includes me or not. (Also, the '6' is pretty hypothetical. I could conceivably run two games if I'm not playing in either, provided the games are 1825 U2 and 1830.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheeler
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried signing up at the site, but couldn't get it working.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon L
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should be able to register for the event. It's a simple Google form. Here is a direct link

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1h4ggtbdfd5l9ghMWNkoGURE_qml...

There is currently only one person registered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Planet
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a bit late registering (the ticket sales have ended), but I want to come to the 18xx event. I'm seeing if I can still get a ticket. Hopefully see you tomorrow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
So, how did this 18xx event end up turning out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Planet
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is was a while ago, so my memory is a bit fuzzy. We were four players, two of them new to 18xx in general. I took control of the M&H and C&A privates for pretty cheap, but did not have enough money to start a public company. I played investor for a few stock rounds, and came into the game with a vengeance when the four trains game in. I opened a company at 100 with the sole purpose of buying my privates, which gave me enough money to start two companies to buy those juicy permanent 5-trains. I rushed the trains on the new players, who paid the price with bankruptcy. In the end, I won the game by $20 over the next player who had a company with a permanent train and did not have stock that lost value in the bankruptcy. It was a fun game!

Consequently, we have fueled interest in 18xx in greater Vancouver and are trying to get a game to the table once per month (I missed last game due to an unexpected site visit for work). We have played 1830 twice and 1862 once (the game that I missed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Planet
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are ever on this side of the water, maybe we can hit a round of 1817! devil I've been itching to play it again ever since moving away from my excellent games group in Montreal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
The next time I'm looking at a mainland trip with enough time to set up a game I'd very much be into that. Have 1817 will travel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tao Wong
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rfoth wrote:
It is was a while ago, so my memory is a bit fuzzy. We were four players, two of them new to 18xx in general. I took control of the M&H and C&A privates for pretty cheap, but did not have enough money to start a public company. I played investor for a few stock rounds, and came into the game with a vengeance when the four trains game in. I opened a company at 100 with the sole purpose of buying my privates, which gave me enough money to start two companies to buy those juicy permanent 5-trains. I rushed the trains on the new players, who paid the price with bankruptcy. In the end, I won the game by $20 over the next player who had a company with a permanent train and did not have stock that lost value in the bankruptcy. It was a fun game!

Consequently, we have fueled interest in 18xx in greater Vancouver and are trying to get a game to the table once per month (I missed last game due to an unexpected site visit for work). We have played 1830 twice and 1862 once (the game that I missed).

Okay, this sounds amazing. Now I want to learn to play this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I am interested in some 18xx action if you're looking for another player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheeler
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game played at TCTC was amazing. I was completely engrossed, unlike I've been with any other game. The actions available are so simple, but the depth is incredible. If I could play every weekend, I would.

We've played since then and each game has been just as exhilarating. Tucker and Richard have been great at teaching the game. I just can't get enough of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Planet
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mister allen wrote:
The game played at TCTC was amazing. I was completely engrossed, unlike I've been with any other game. The actions available are so simple, but the depth is incredible. If I could play every weekend, I would.

We've played since then and each game has been just as exhilarating. Tucker and Richard have been great at teaching the game. I just can't get enough of it.

Thanks! I have enjoyed playing with you guys here and hope that we can get a game played once per month. All new players are welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to be the unofficial wrangler / contact person, so, geekmail me with your email address and I'll let you know when we're playing. We shoot for once a month but may miss August due to a) me moving and b) August.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.