Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Olivier
Canada
Abbotsford
bc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we found a small road block in playing multiplier.

We were playing 3 player game and when it came to declare our basic actions and decide what color dice we would use the problem then became glaringly obvious;

There are only 4 different colors of action dice. So If we all took different cards, that would mean that we need 6 different colors.

If this doesn't make sense take this example. Say My friend Ken and I use blue dice for our actions, inner rage and power bolt. If i bought one of each when i drew one of the blue action dice i wouldn't know which one it belongs to...

So I immediately thought of the wiz kids PDF they just released and hoped they would have the action card things you put your actions on top of to show what color they are. That way i could alter them 4 times to make a Purple, orange, pink, brown cards and then paint a extra starters worth of dice's symbols those colors as to fix the issue

However that pdf didn't have those images and my acrylic pain does not hold well on these dice.

So does anyone have any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone brings one basic action, and you randomly draw a fourth... or just leave it with three total instead of four total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another idea is that each person picks two; one that will definitely be used and one to shuffle. then take each players 'to be shuffled' card and shuffle.

someone picks a card of the three and that will be the third one.

Or

just have 3 basic actions

or

have 1 action everyone can agree upon.

hmmm...I wonder if more dice would be needed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Olivier
Canada
Abbotsford
bc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ranoobu wrote:
Another idea is that each person picks two; one that will definitely be used and one to shuffle. then take each players 'to be shuffled' card and shuffle.

someone picks a card of the three and that will be the third one.

Or

just have 3 basic actions

or

have 1 action everyone can agree upon.

hmmm...I wonder if more dice would be needed

this only applies if everyone chooses different ones too mind you. If we used the same action, then we could just use 2 sets of the same color on that dice, making 6 that can be bought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Melander

Dilworth
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try using character dice for a character not being used? Then just use the lv1-3 sides as the 0-2 burst action icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only pick one action each, then either play with just the 3 or pick a 4th at random?

Edit: Totally ninja'd. That's what I get for tending to crying baby mid-comment. Next time I'll let her cry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Olivier
Canada
Abbotsford
bc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bazpoint wrote:
Only pick one action each, then either play with just the 3 or pick a 4th at random?

Edit: Totally ninja'd. That's what I get for tending to crying baby mid-comment. Next time I'll let her cry!

didnt even have eough time to read your first post

Anywho this is a ok solution for 2 player, but it still leaves us with problems for 4-6 player

(5 player is awesome. 4 is also good but nothing beats 5!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"RAWR!" means "I love you" in kaiju.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say only have 3 basic actions, but put 4 dice on each card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Johnson
United States
Beatrice
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Id personally not have anyone bring actions and just randomly select 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JesseOlivier wrote:
bazpoint wrote:

Anywho this is a ok solution for 2 player, but it still leaves us with problems for 4-6 player

Ok, if you have 2 starter sets and don't mind getting a little creative, how about marking one set of action colour-cards and dice with a black marker, so you'd have red, blue, yellow, green, red with black spots, yellow with black spots.... etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JesseOlivier wrote:

this only applies if everyone chooses different ones too mind you. If we used the same action, then we could just use 2 sets of the same color on that dice, making 6 that can be bought.

then you have two shuffle cards left over that you could use if players choose duplicate cards for their first card.

This allows each player to feel like they have at least one card in their favor vs a situation where all randomly drawn cards do not help them but do help the other players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M Rich
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stubobj wrote:
Id personally not have anyone bring actions and just randomly select 4.

I would think adding 1 die per 'extra' player would work out well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy eland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this is why im getting 2 starters more action dice. we will be playing a lot of 3 and 4 player games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Olivier
Canada
Abbotsford
bc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bazpoint wrote:
JesseOlivier wrote:
bazpoint wrote:

Ok, if you have 2 starter sets and don't mind getting a little creative, how about marking one set of action colour-cards and dice with a black marker, so you'd have red, blue, yellow, green, red with black spots, yellow with black spots.... etc

yeah that is why i attempted to paint my dice to have 8 different colors. but that works as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just play it like normal. Just have someone deal out 4 random basic power cards put 3 dice on them and you're good to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Olivier
Canada
Abbotsford
bc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormbringerGT wrote:
I'd just play it like normal. Just have someone deal out 4 random basic power cards put 3 dice on them and you're good to go.

i tried that. But alot of guys put alot of thought into their teams, and the action cards are part of that! especially if they really need a specific global from one of them, so the random suggestion, IMO is not a good one for those who are still trying to play a serious game to test their team against others
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played probably 30 tournament style games including 10 or so drafts.

I would never ever rely on basic actions for your deck. I would add in helpful ones, but there is every chance your opponent is gonna buy the dice from under you anyway.

Also if you are considering serious play then consider 1 vs 1. That's how the tournament will be setup. The game is designed for 1 vs 1. by doing 1 vs 1 vs 1 you already changed some flow aspects of the game.

Its your game play however you guys want to play.

I would suggest then maybe each person picks two as normal, and done. Just like usual. There are just 6 basic action cards to buy from. 3 dice on each card. If there are two or three of a certain card then that means more dice to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With more than two players, I'm thinking that instead of having a life counter, you have a points counter, where the points go up for each individual for each successful attack they make. First player to 20 is the winner. Not tried it out, so it might take too long that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Chaulklin
United States
hartland
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and some friend play a magic format called the hunt. And we will be doing this format with MDM this Friday hopefully if works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it doesn't help, but just because no one's said it yet - ugh multiplayer. gulp whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Born
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You could use quarriors dice for more actions - which leads to the question - anyone tried playing quarriors with dice masters cards and dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
With more than two players, I'm thinking that instead of having a life counter, you have a points counter, where the points go up for each individual for each successful attack they make. First player to 20 is the winner. Not tried it out, so it might take too long that way.

I'm not sure that would be as enjoyable, at least for me. It diminishes the power of most characters - a successful hit with a sidekick is worth the same as a hit with any other character. The stats would be meaningless except for blocking, so people would just load up on the cheapest characters to buy. And with blocking, I think it would simplify the decision too much for me in regard to when to block, and when to let hits go through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James O\'Brien
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
1) In a 4 player game, experiment with each player bringing 1 Basic Action Card and placing 6 dice on it.
2) In a 3 player game, experiment with each player bringing 1 Basic Action Card and placing 8 dice on it.
3) If you're going to recolor dice, couldn't you just make your own indicator cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:

Why not both? First to 20 points wins, whoever loses all his life points is out of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brighterthanthesun wrote:
a successful hit with a sidekick is worth the same as a hit with any other character. The stats would be meaningless except for blocking,

Ah no, I meant that you'd score three points if a 3A character is left unblocked. Still not managed to try it out yet (need a third player), but I can see it creating a metagame as the opposing players have to balance stopping the current player as a team while keeping their own ability to attack - could become a kingmaker or Munchkin-style situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.