Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I really like the idea of making a Mythos deck corresponding to a given Ancient One, I hate to lose because of not being able to draw another Mythos. I don't see any thematic reasons for that, and it was an anti-climactic and frustrating experience every time it happened to my group.

Thus, I came up with this:
When you should draw another Mythos, but you can't instead you resolve these effects: Spawn Gates, Monster Surge, Resolve Reckoning Effects, Advance the Omen.
The above is a most harsh order I could think of, but I guess some would prefer to use the usual order from Mythos cards.

This could be made in a form of special Mythos card, with corresponding icons printed:
No One Can Help You Now
"Ongoing: If you would draw a new Mythos card, instead resolve this card again as thought it was just drawn."

Such card could be put on the very bottom of a freshly created Mythos deck.

And a second variant:
"An investigator cannot have multiple copies of the same Condition."
Curses and Blessings handle getting another copy in a great way. For other cards the following replacement rule might be interesting:
"If an investigator would gain another copy of a Condition card he already has, instead he resolves reckoning effects (if there are any) on the copy he already has. This rule doesn't apply to Conditions which already have rules governing gaining another copy of that Condition."

Investigator still can't acquire a Bank Loan if he has a Debt Condition.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boian Spasov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
We are the knights who say...
badge
Ni!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious, do you run out of Mythos cards often? Because we've got around 40-50 plays and it never happened to us. Closest we've got was a single mythos card remaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About 20% of games, I suppose. I'll check the actual statistics later. It's pretty subjective - even if it would be 5% it would feel like "a lot" to me. I like being wrecked by Great Old One - it's fun. But running out of Mythos is just a disappointment for me. One occurence would still be too often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blizzardb wrote:
Just curious, do you run out of Mythos cards often? Because we've got around 40-50 plays and it never happened to us. Closest we've got was a single mythos card remaining.

It happens a lot to me after the ancient one has awoken.

For example there might be 2 cards left in the deck when doom reaches zero. Then 2 turns later we run out of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boian Spasov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
We are the knights who say...
badge
Ni!
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting... Shows how much the experience differs from one group to another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blizzardb wrote:
Interesting... Shows how much the experience differs from one group to another.

It's probably worth mentioning that I don't even have close to half the number of plays you have. Even if I assume 40; I'm at like a quarter, maximum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say the ending by mythos deck is a bit anti-climatic.

Reading your variant I would add some things to make it:

1) The Doom immediately drops to 0 and the Ancient One awakens

2) Trigger the events you mentioned

3) Each turn a card needs to be drawn and cannot the Lead Investigator is consumed by evil forces and is Eliminated. Thus you still have an absolute limit as the heroes fall one by one in the last days of the world.

I also like the consistency in making all conditions behave the same way, but I would change one thing there also:

"If an investigator would must gain another copy of a Condition card he already has, instead he resolves reckoning effects (if there are any) on the copy he already has. This rule doesn't apply to Conditions which already have rules governing gaining another copy of that Condition."

So for clarification: a player cannot choose to gain a condition they already have. For example, if investigator has a Dark Pact and Debt card and they can choose to gain a debt to get rid of the dark pact, the player may not do so. However, if they have a Debt as a lead investigator and event states they gain a debt condition, then the reckoning effect immediately triggers.

I'll have to try out these rules and see how it changes the game play - but they sound interesting.

Side note: like others, I too run out of mythos cards. Often times I have bad luck rolling dice to do tasks, but good luck in avoiding doom triggers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
haroth9842 wrote:
While I really like the idea of making a Mythos deck corresponding to a given Ancient One, I hate to lose because of not being able to draw another Mythos. I don't see any thematic reasons for that, and it was an anti-climactic and frustrating experience every time it happened to my group.

Thus, I came up with this:
When you should draw another Mythos, but you can't instead you resolve these effects: Spawn Gates, Monster Surge, Resolve Reckoning Effects, Advance the Omen.
The above is a most harsh order I could think of, but I guess some would prefer to use the usual order from Mythos cards.

This could be made in a form of special Mythos card, with corresponding icons printed:
No One Can Help You Now
"Ongoing: If you would draw a new Mythos card, instead resolve this card again as thought it was just drawn."

Such card could be put on the very bottom of a freshly created Mythos deck. [...]

Nice.
I also dislike the abrupt ending by running out of Mythos Cards, since it feels so anticlimactic.
I had a similar idea, how to allow players to continue, just up the ante. If they're going to die, at least make it epic:

As soon as you would draw a new Mythos Card but the stack is empty, shuffle together ALL the cards of your custom-built Mythos Deck and draw a new card (unresolved Rumours stay on the table, of course). Ignore ANY text (the story is finished, it's just endgame now), just resolve the icons in order.

- Remember, when a card calls for a new Gate and the Gate-Deck has been depleted, to advance Doom instead.
- When a Rumour comes up: first place Clues accordingly, then every investigator rolls a dice: for each result, which is NOT a 5 or a 6, advance Doom by 1 space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion your version is a bit to easy. It carries practically no punishment for running out of mythos. Skipping the text also means skipping the bad text after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
haroth9842 wrote:
"An investigator cannot have multiple copies of the same Condition."
Curses and Blessings handle getting another copy in a great way. For other cards the following replacement rule might be interesting:
"If an investigator would gain another copy of a Condition card he already has, instead he resolves reckoning effects (if there are any) on the copy he already has. This rule doesn't apply to Conditions which already have rules governing gaining another copy of that Condition."

Investigator still can't acquire a Bank Loan if he has a Debt Condition.

What do you think?

I like this.
I'm curious if you did try this already? Any weird situations came up, which weren't covered by these Variant-Rules? Did it radically affect default gameplay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diceman2k4 wrote:
I'm curious if you did try this already?

I've had a very long break from playing, so I haven't got the time to test it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
haroth9842 wrote:

No One Can Help You Now

Such card could be put on the very bottom of a freshly created Mythos deck.

Building on this idea:
What if there were 24 End-Of-Mythos-Cards, each with a different order how to resolve Effects? At the beginning of the game, when building the Mythos-Deck, one would be randomly drawn and put at the bottom of the Mythos-Deck.

One Card could have the most harsh order you mentioned (Spawn Gate, Monster Surge, Resolve Reckoning Effects, Advance the Omen), another could be a little bit more lenient, with the following order (Advance the Omen, Reckoning, Monster Surge, Spawn Gate). Still bad enough to have all those effects triggered at once. Most important: there are no more Clues spawning, so you gotta work with what's on the board, with your Investigator's abilities and possessions. Should speed up the doomsday-clock sufficiently, no?

To make things REALLY hopeless, on top of things, you could also wipe all progress on the active Mystery, as soon as you're getting to Mythos-Phase and find your deck empty.
wow
Still a better way to lose the game, imho, than just: "I got this super-powerful artifact and 5 clues, oops, no card left, game lost."
Now at least there's a thematic reason for losing the game: "Oops, Cthulhu wiped our progress, Gates everywhere, not enough Clues, Monsters spawning every turn, guess what, End of the World."
Haha. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, while wiping progress would be more thematic, it would still basically mean "you lose the game".

Another option would be to include a single "epilogue" card for each GOO that would explain why have you lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.