Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Need another ability for my tactic die, ideas? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clark Kingston
msg tools

So anyway, I am trying to think of a third ability for the tactic die.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Greig
Australia
Kelso
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
two simple options spring to my mind

1. reroll it and another die (or more than 1)
2. 1A and 1D (or 1A/1D), depends on how powerful you want it.

Having said that, if the limit of the tactics die is 2 and you want them to be very powerful then why are you offering the players the choice not to take them? isn't this a false choice if the tactics die are inherently better than the other two?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How about (1 Atk + 1 Def + 1 reroll), so it's everyone's special power all at once? Cool effect, but rare.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Kingston
msg tools
aquillo wrote:
two simple options spring to my mind

1. reroll it and another die (or more than 1)
2. 1A and 1D (or 1A/1D), depends on how powerful you want it.

Having said that, if the limit of the tactics die is 2 and you want them to be very powerful then why are you offering the players the choice not to take them? isn't this a false choice if the tactics die are inherently better than the other two?


Well, the tactic dice are meant to be supplemental to the attack and defense dice since they (currently) don't directly apply attack or defense. Also they have a higher miss chance so they are more unreliable.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Kingston
msg tools
jbrecken wrote:
How about (1 Atk + 1 Def + 1 reroll), so it's everyone's special power all at once? Cool effect, but rare.


That may work but I wonder if then 2 tactic dice become MUST HAVES in every setup.

I had thought about an ability allowing you to roll dice NOT in your action pool so the ability gets stronger the less stamina you have (thus more removed dice from action pool). However, I am still testing the power of that effect and whether it disrupts the resolve order since you must techincally return to step 1 of the resolve order which may or may not be fiddly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll an extra die next turn?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Kingston
msg tools
Jlerpy wrote:
Roll an extra die next turn?


Hmm not bad. On your next turn during the Prepare step your action pool size = Stamina +1.

Although this is devalued with the Recover Stamina (a permanent bonus) ability already in place. Which that ability may be too powerful itself.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GrumpyWookiee wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:
Roll an extra die next turn?


Hmm not bad. On your next turn during the Prepare step your action pool size = Stamina +1.

Although this is devalued with the Recover Stamina (a permanent bonus) ability already in place. Which that ability may be too powerful itself.


I entirely missed the part where you only get to roll dice equal to your Stamina. Yes, that makes recovery incredibly important. I can't say I like that rule, as it just means early luck will be extremely decisive.

Does unused Shield roll over from round to round? If so, that's weird. If not, what's the point of the Shield die?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Kingston
msg tools
Jlerpy wrote:
GrumpyWookiee wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:
Roll an extra die next turn?


Hmm not bad. On your next turn during the Prepare step your action pool size = Stamina +1.

Although this is devalued with the Recover Stamina (a permanent bonus) ability already in place. Which that ability may be too powerful itself.


I entirely missed the part where you only get to roll dice equal to your Stamina. Yes, that makes recovery incredibly important. I can't say I like that rule, as it just means early luck will be extremely decisive.

Does unused Shield roll over from round to round? If so, that's weird. If not, what's the point of the Shield die?


Yeah, unused shield defense rolls over between rounds. Maybe I can make this more thematic but I took it as the shield defense as positioning. At 6 defense you are in full defensive stance ready to absorb your opponent's blows, lower shield defense means you are slightly out of position to fully deflect a full assault. No shield means you have lost it and are reeling.

Having the defense carry over places some importance on defense (protecting your stamina = dice pool size) otherwise this game would simply be an attack race. Now the player has to balance attack (to penetrate their opponents shield defense) with their own defense.

Note that if you choose defense dice at setup you start with shield defense instantly offering some protection for your Stamina. So unless you went 4 Attack/2 tactic setup you will have some form of defense for your Stamina right out the gate.

This game, like most dice game has an element of luck and strategy but with its short playtime of 5-10 minutes any game with a huge early disadvantage that results in a quick defeat can be offset by playing several games in a row.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Rajkumar
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Maybe something like an Adrenaline Rush. On your next turn you may roll your entire dice action pool regardless of your current stamina.

Early game, it won't be too overpowered. But you create a decision for players when they take damage: keep the tactics die for the chance to burst back into the game if you fall behind; or discard it early on so you don't lose more relevant dice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Kingston
msg tools
I tweaked the rules a bit to reduce the added penalty of lost stamina. With this tweak I tied reroll chances to stamina level and adjusted the 3 tactic abilities accordingly.

Let me know what you think!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.