Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been tempted to buy this as a family game, but see very few people suggested its appropriate even for 8 year old, and most suggesting 12 or above.

Is this due to themes? (Ie, people are afraid of children being exposed to the idea of a sex change).

Or is this to do with gameplay? (Ie, the game is simply too complex for children to enjoy)

If the former, I am less worried. There are always ways to edit. If the latter, that's a trickier proposition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Themewise there shouldn't be any problems. It is after all an American game (!)

But the paragraf booklet can be a bit a bit tricky, and it is imperative that the correct paragraf is read. Apart from being able to read out loud and undrstand the meaning of uncommon terms, it is also vital to understand which keywords to apply so that the correct subsection of a paragraph is used.

If at least one adult is available to ensure the correct entries are read, I see no reason why underage kids shouldn't enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Theme-wise, mostly it's OK but sometimes there are really horrible things happening related sometimes to sex sometimes to violence or cruelty, or just terrible mishaps. Probably you wouldn't get it in every game but you should stay alert! Really, sometimes it's quite nasty. I know because I've been translating the book into Russian. For example, in one case to survive in a pit you had to kill people thrown there and eat their corpses.

I love the game but I think you have to be a little careful with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say if you are comfortable with your child reading the book Tales of the Arabian Nights, then the themes and complexity in the game are going to be the same if not more tame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the scenarios can be a bit gruesome, as Mikhail mentions above, but I think the bigger issue is that some of the vocabulary may not make any sense to a younger player if they are the reader. IF you play with multiple adults along with your child/children, a good alternative is to make one person the designated reader or have an adult substitute as hte reader for the child.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be careful with younger children. I do recall a scenario where I was caught by bandits and they had their way with me. It was worded more subtly than that, but still not appropriate for kids.

That said, when I read fairy tales, I make sure my son understands that these are stories from a long time ago where life was different and more dangerous than it is today. He had a hard time understanding why Hanzel and Gretle's step mom had their father abandon them in the woods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what you are all saying is that it's theme rather than gameplay that's the issue.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much a theme issue, though passing and reading that rulebook could be a bit troublesome at times. I often acted as narrator when playing with my kid so I could tweak the wording a little bit if needed. (sometimes for clarity, sometimes for theme)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maya
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
timlillig wrote:
I would say if you are comfortable with your child reading the book Tales of the Arabian Nights, then the themes and complexity in the game are going to be the same if not more tame.

Wait, which version of the Tales are we talking about here? Because the original is loaded to the gills with stuff that kids don't really need to be reading. In the copy I own, which is nowhere near the complete, unexpurgated version, there's a king calling his wife a "damned whore" after catching her in the arms of a cook ON PAGE FOUR. So of course, he "drew his scimitar, cut the two in four pieces with a single blow, and left them on the couch". This is followed immediately by a passage in which twenty-one unfaithful wives frolic (graphically) with twenty-one slaves all night long.

Mind you, "damned whore" is not even the worst thing a man calls a woman in the book.

It's not as if the entire book is one big orgy, but yes, there is considerable talk of cavorting, and mounting, and claiming of maidenheads throughout, along with numerous acts of violence and dismemberment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Russell
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree that depending on the passages read, there can sometimes be significant themes of violence and sexuality. I would not recommend it for a kid in elementary school, not sure about middle school, but I would say high school is fine.

For example, in the last game I played, one of the characters had the "seduction" talent, and through sheer luck, she was able to consistently get encounters where she could use it. There was nothing overt, but lots of phrases such as "you were rewarded with an evening of delights. He was enthusiastic and skilled and you rose to the challenge." The sort of thing where a little kid wouldn't know what it meant, but not content you want to have to explain to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bmtc wrote:
I would agree that depending on the passages read, there can sometimes be significant themes of violence and sexuality. I would not recommend it for a kid in elementary school, not sure about middle school, but I would say high school is fine.

For example, in the last game I played, one of the characters had the "seduction" talent, and through sheer luck, she was able to consistently get encounters where she could use it. There was nothing over, but lots of phrases such as "you were rewarded with an evening of delights. He was enthusiastic and skilled and you rose to the challenge." The sort of thing where a little kid wouldn't know what it meant, but not content you want to have to explain to them.

Well, after playing it with my son, we didn't come across much to worry about.

Even the above example is easily explained. Evening of delights = party games. Rose to the challenge = got up to dance. Etc.

Ymmv.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.