Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
To my potential shame I'm still initially put off by any game rated under 7.0. You've got to draw a line somewhere though, so it's a reasonable assumption to think that out of two unknown games, I'd probably prefer the one with the higher rating etc.

But there is clearly a lot of love for low rated games out here. What games do you rave about that barely hit 6.0? (Average rating, not Geek rating!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I wouldn't say I rave about them but I quite like Martin Wallace's Byzantium even though I still haven't figured out a good strategy for it. Another game that is better than it's rating for me is Sumeria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After it didn't submit the whole post I wrote, just a short version

Futterneid, Craftsmen and yet to play: Gnomes of Zavandor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
After it didn't submit the whole post I wrote, just a short version

Futterneid, Craftsmen and yet to play: Gnomes of Zavandor
I picked up Mines of Zavandor for pennies, and haven't gone near it probably due to the low rating here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll miss a lot of fun games if you go by the BGG rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If barely hitting 6 is the cut-off point (personally I consider sixes to be good games - it's game that barely hit 5 I would start to worry about):

Evolution: the Origin of Species - Imo a really fun (mean) game that does a great job of abstracting the survival of the fittest using some really cool mechanics. Its rating is probably dragged down by some of the slightly cartoony artwork, the limited distribution and the fact that the english version has some minor translation errors on cards (and some major grammar errors in the rulebook).

Gloom - I really don't understand this lower rating at all. Sure, dark humor isn't for everyone, but this is a really solid game using some really cool and unique mechanics. Transparent card effects are sorely underused. (Although it is unfortunate that the expansion cards aren't marked)

Risk: Plants vs. Zombies - I know the average bgger automatically hates anything with the name 'risk' on it, but it was one of my favorite games growing up and I can still enjoy it very much. This version adds some really neat twists to the game, including a very different style of play that's really fun in its own right, and the theme is just funny and enjoyable.

Jishaku - Ok, I fully understand why no one agrees with me on this one. It's a dexterity game - possibly one of the simplest games ever made with the exception of tic tac toe - but it is absolutely hilarious. Magnets are awesome. (For even bigger laughs, trying playing it in the dark)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excluding expansions, I have two games that I rate 9 with a geek-rating under 7:

Julius Caesar - 2-player wargame
D-Day at Omaha Beach - solitaire wargame

And six games that I rate 8 with a geek-rating under 7:

Jamaica - light euro racegame
Hera and Zeus - 2-player card game
Gambit 7 - party game
RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940 - solitaire wargame
Haggis - 2-player card game
Niagara - light euro

I think brain-burning euros always seem to have a generous geek-rating. Everything else tends to suffer.

Conclusion: If its not a brain-burning euro then give it a chance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also brain burning Euros that are not widely available that suffer from a bad rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
It's also brain burning Euros that are not widely available that suffer from a bad rating.
This is more on the ranking side of things than rating, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you find the geek rating of a game from the game page? For example D-Day at Omaha beach is a highly rated game of 8.28 and is ranked the 5th best wargame of all time, yet the geekrating is under 7. That rating seems to be missing from the game page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bradelli wrote:
How do you find the geek rating of a game from the game page?

To be honest, I just got it by looking at the info displayed in my collection. I can't see the geek-rating on the game's page, but if you click on its ranking then you'll find the geek rating displayed there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On average, the users of BGG rate very benevolently IMO. I think you will only miss out on very few games that you would like a lot, if you ignore games with an average rating (not geek rating!) under 7. In my case these are only the old, cooperative Lord of the Rings and Starfarers of Catan and for both I am biased because of the numerous plays I enjoyed as a teenager with my friends. There are a few, which I enjoy more than the average user (W├╝rfel Bohnanza, The Bridges of Shangri-La), but they are nothing to rave about.

But you asked about games that barely hit 6.0? Checking with advanced search the games with rating between 5.75 and 6.25, I think some are tolerable and only very few are (barely) enjoyable, but there are also a lot of stinkers.

Edit:
ReggieMcFly wrote:
bradelli wrote:

To be honest, I just got it by looking at the info displayed in my collection. I can't see the geek-rating on the game's page, but if you click on its ranking then you'll find the geek rating displayed there.

... and if you click on "family/strategy/thematic game rank" you get different values. It is still a mistery to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ringo84 wrote:

Edit:
ReggieMcFly wrote:
bradelli wrote:

... and if you click on "family/strategy/thematic game rank" you get different values. It is still a mistery to me.

BGG adds X ratings with 5.5 to the average rating to determine the geek rating.
X is larger in the overall category than in the separate (strategy/family/children/thematic) category. This means they have another geek rating in those categories than in the central category as there are different numbers used to calculate the rating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are too many games that I enjoy that don't reach a 6 or don't even have a rating yet. I'm a huge dexterity and abstract fan and find that those types of games don't get nearly enough love as they should. I've recently started getting into some of Top 100 games but still enjoy many low rated games. IMO, if you don't give games a chance because of their BGG rating, you are doing yourself a HUGE disservice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
Democrazy
YAY!
Roll to the South Pole

... all excellent games that are rated well below 6 that are worth owning in any collection.

Most of these games are just under followed and underappreciated ... and there are many more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
disom wrote:
There are too many games that I enjoy that don't reach a 6 or don't even have a rating yet. I'm a huge dexterity and abstract fan and find that those types of games don't get nearly enough love as they should. I've recently started getting into some of Top 100 games but still enjoy many low rated games. IMO, if you don't give games a chance because of their BGG rating, you are doing yourself a HUGE disservice.
I certainly see that on the dexterity side. Not really my thing, but it does feel a little unfair.

And I totally understand why it's unfair to discount games because of ratings, but it's a handy starting point in a world of thousands and thousands of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
To my potential shame I'm still initially put off by any game rated under 7.0. You've got to draw a line somewhere though, so it's a reasonable assumption to think that out of two unknown games, I'd probably prefer the one with the higher rating etc.

I find that while I do have a positive correlation with BGG ratings, it's such a low positive correlation that I do better to ignore the rating, typically.

Quote:
But there is clearly a lot of love for low rated games out here. What games do you rave about that barely hit 6.0?

Of my 191 favorite games (at least last time I went through them; there were a lot of late additions last year), there were:

51 games with an average rating of 6.50 to 6.99
42 games with an average rating of 6.00 to 6.49
21 games with an average rating below 6.00

Or, looking at the problem a different way - 114 of my 191 favorite games (60%) have an average rating below 7.00. Which explains why an average rating below 7.00 doesn't scare me off at all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pax domina
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
All of my collection except for two games (one of which I don't even care to play) is Geek Rated under 7.0!

And I am very fond of the games that grace our home!

I guess my POV is that you should buy games that match your interest in their theme, mechanic, and component interaction. For instance, I love rolling dice, nice components, and compact games with meaningful strategy decisions (many solo-able); so my selection of games reflects that.

Here are my lowest rated games that get loved/played most frequently:

Square Shooters 5x/wk
Logan Stones 2x/wk
Dungeon Dice 2x/day [we can't play enough of this right now -- but surely the frequency will diminish, right?! ]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
You'll miss a lot of fun games if you go by the BGG rating.

I would say that is more based on ranking versus rating. There are certain types of games that will get a lower rating more than others such as fillers and abstracts, but there are others that despite a solid rating are getting hampered by the lack of ratings to further push the game higher in the rankings.

Case in point, wargames. Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles is widely considered one of the best tactical wargames out and maybe the definitive tactical wargame outside of ASL. Some might still prefer BoB. It has been out roughly 3 years and has 262 votes as of today. So despite its 7.97 rating and reputation, it hasn't even broken the Top 1,000. I'll likely forever believe if the GMT COIN Series had Euro themes those games would get much more coverage. Non wargames, Star Realms, 8.17 and ranked 765. Level 7 [Omega Protocol], 8.15 ranked 770. Of course, both of those games are going to slowly go up in the rankings and someday might be properly ranked. Still, their ratings are rather good while their actual rankings are on the low side. And yes, games which are geared towards the more general population having a ranking in the 700s to me is low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Argiro
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only game I own in my list under a 6, that I truly enjoy, is Hot Rod Creeps. The art and gameplay really get me on that game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Where is your rope?
mbmbmbmbmb
So many good games score under a 6.0.

Break the Safe -- not great, but a fun family coop that my kids loved when they were younger. Has that sweet timer too.

Harry's Grand Slam Baseball Game -- again, not great, but an easy to learn, quick-playing riff on baseball that is fun with young ones.

Scripts and Scribes: The Dice Game -- we picked this up a few months back and my family loves it. The auction mechanics are great. We play it all the time.

Coin Age -- the best reason for the existence of pocket change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paxdomina wrote:

Dungeon Dice 2x/day [we can't play enough of this right now -- but surely the frequency will diminish, right?! ]

I think the GR for this is lower, because it's new and is affected by the secret BGG weighting algorithm until it gets more ratings. The user ratings are over 7.5 average.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I admit to also being a bit of a rating snob. As you say, games with an average rating under 7 on the geek will usually get a pass from me without some recommendation coming from someone whos opinion I trust. That said, I have found a number of games which I adore which have both an average and geek rating under 7:

Hey, That's My Fish!
Evo
Hoity Toity
Conquest of the Fallen Lands
Dragon Rampage
Mammoth Hunters
Manhattan
Graenaland
Sneaks & Snitches

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Under 7 I find I have a LOT of games I own, enjoy and would recommend, but under 6 it gets tougher.

For me I would say:

Snake Oil, a great party game success for me
Infamy
Mutant Meeples, a hit or miss game for folks that is a real hit among those who enjoy working their brains in that specific manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pax domina
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AceAceBaby wrote:
paxdomina wrote:

I think the GR for this is lower, because it's new and is affected by the secret BGG weighting algorithm until it gets more ratings. The user ratings are over 7.5 average.

True. Dungeon Dice definitely gets our highly coveted Bee's Knees rating!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.