Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"HOW I DID IT"
Monster Making Journal, Young Frankenstein

My real toy soldier specialty is 54mm or 1/32 scale (2 1/2 inch tall figures; of which I own about 20,000 painted and organized figures, in armies dating from Medieval to WWII, with attending vehicles, equipment, and terrain). So the smaller scale of Memoir 44 D-Day Landings presented a challenge. When I saw the great unit lists on another thread here for the required numbers of figures/units necessary, I immediately asked myself the first question. Could I, having other pals that love Memoir 44 but don't have their own games, come up with enough to set up the entire six D-Day Landings maps by myself? I own 1 1/2 sets of M44, and all the expansions. So I can play any two player one map game from those alone. But what about the largest variation?

Board games come and go in one's collection, but I figured I had about enough with games on hand. So I started doing lots of catalog work and math, while hauling out old game lists and bags of figures to count them up. It turned out I have plenty of extra US units, so they and later Allied reinforcements would be no problem from these available(34 units required, with 49 on hand). But what about the British and Germans? I have fewer British than US figures, and you do need an awful lot of Germans! I began checking tiny bodies and making lists from the following:

1. Memoir 44 solid figures
2. Memoir 44 cardboard substitute counters (Overlord Expansion)
3. Axis and Allies (Main Game with "unauthorized expansion" figures).
4. Axis and Allies D-Day (Hey, just the right nationalities mix)!
5. Axis and Allies Land Miniatures (They come painted).

Well, you need almost 300 British and German figures. When I had totaled all of these up, using only pure Infantry figures (no heavy weapons holders from #5), I found I was short exactly two figures! Holy Cow, I can do this. Of course, I could just throw in a single (or four man unit of) Poles for the Brits and Italians or Rumanians or such from #5 above again for the Germans. But since there will be heavy weapons units in the scenarios, I could also plug in those more specialized MG/Mortar/Etc. #5 figures (not included in the counts above), rotating "pure" infantry figures out of such units into line infantry.

And that's how I'm going to do it.

Non Infantry Factors:

If you own what I do of M44, there is no problem with the small number of Armor and Artillery units needed. You also have the following:

Hobart's Funnies: 6 (5 are required on the list)
Battleships: 6 (4 required)
Landing Craft: 15 cardboard counters and 6 Three Dimensional, say a few on each beach for visual impact; others can be easily proxied with markers of some type, or you can just assume all invaders are mounted in one on the water unless marked otherwise.

The reinforcement issue cannot yet be handled, as we don't yet know how approximately many reinforcements versus casualties taken will be needed,(and apparently your mileage will vary with your die rolls), but one can always reuse casualties, or slip in those tiny Axis and Allies poker chips for extra figures.

As for cards and counters, we'll have to see.

But I'm happy to say the figures are here for me to make my monster. Hah! I'm thinking practically that the largest multi player setup I'll be able to muster real players for will be two three map games: The British Beaches and The American Beaches/Paradrops. But who wouldn't like to see the whole thing set out in all its glory? And with essentially two dining tables put together using plywood boards, my usual main table set up (remember those larger scale 54mm figures I game with normally) I should just be able to set all six maps up at once, with a side table for various gaming equipment, organizing reinforcements, etc.

Not too shabby. Good luck on your own attempts to do it with your own resources or a group of pals!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Where was the last posted on what was needed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Here is a link to a thread I created that has lots of details: http://www.daysofwonder.com/en/msg/?th=29127&start=0

I'll also have a document coming out soon that covers everything you'll need. It'll be posted in the D-Day Landings web site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
rasmussen81 wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Here is a link to a thread I created that has lots of details: http://www.daysofwonder.com/en/msg/?th=29127&start=0

I'll also have a document coming out soon that covers everything you'll need. It'll be posted in the D-Day Landings web site.

Thanks. It still seems that you basically need one of each expansion per board (with the exception of Med).

My fear is that DOW always said 2 base copies of BattleLore were needed for one of their Epic scenarios. But when you sat down to see exactly what was needed out of the 2nd copy of the game, it was only one creature figure (easily replaced with other creatures) and 7 forest tiles (which could also be easily proxied). Hardly a need to get a 2nd copy.

My hope is that when the actual count is figured, it will be less than exactly 6 of each. And I also assume the more British soldier out, the less of a need for US soldiers so potential to trim the number of base games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
My hope is that when the actual count is figured, it will be less than exactly 6 of each. And I also assume the more British soldier out, the less of a need for US soldiers so potential to trim the number of base games.

Never mind, I followed the rest of the thread after the post you linked to. I see now the final tally is more in line with what I expected.

Quote:
-Six Maps, Operation Neptune-
Normandy Beaches
~ 8 Base Games
~ 4-5 Terrain Packs (might have enough badges)
~ 2-3 Equipment Pack (might have enough units)
~ 6 Winter Wars
~ OPTIONAL: 4 Med. Theater Packs ~

Mode Summary - Operation Neptune will require a ton of Infantry units, which is why so many base games are needed. I've calculated that you could probably make do with 7 base games but 8 would be even better and more would give lots of available reinforcements. Again, Landing Craft will be needed for the 5 Landing maps, but those could be subsidized from other expansions you might own, or home-made proxies. The playing decks will require 6 Winter Wars or 12 base decks, or a combination of Breakthrough decks, base decks, and Overlord Decks. Basically each map needs its own deck of some kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
The reinforcement issue cannot yet be handled, as we don't yet know how approximately many reinforcements versus casualties taken will be needed,(and apparently your mileage will vary with your die rolls), but one can always reuse casualties, or slip in those tiny Axis and Allies poker chips for extra figures.

The reinforcements rules say:

Quote:
Your reinforcement figure pool, for a single map battle, is limited to the number of figures you own, the normal maximum being the contents of two Memoir '44 core games and one Equipment Pack.

So if you want to restrict yourself to the "normal maximum" (probably sanest), you could say you'd need 504 infantry figures for each army (42 figs per M44 box x 2 boxes x 6 maps), 288 tanks each, and 72 artillery pieces each, to account for all units on the maps and potential reinforcements.

To cover the Equipment Pack minis that are on map and available as reinforcements, you'd also need 36 each of Hobart's Funnies, Heavy AT Guns, Machine Guns, Mobile Artillery, Mortars, Tank Destroyers, and Screaming Meemies; and 18 each of Half-Tracks, Supply Trucks, and Tigers. And finally 18 Anti-Tank Guns from the Mediterranean Theater pack.

Phew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah! After all that work, I don't see myself limiting my reinforcement pool at all!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.