Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: I wish I could make this a session report - 1 mild spoiler contained. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few turns into my last game I realised that I should have written notes in order to make a session report for this game. Luckily we didn't actually finish it (time constraints) so it would have been an unfinished session report anyway, which would have been rubbish!

But I thought I'd take the time to tell you why I wanted to take a session report.

We were 4 players. One of my friends really wanted to play Charlie Kane because he really enjoyed playing him last time, buying all the items for everyone. The rest of us took 2 at random and chose one of them. We all managed to get one we’d played before and one we hadn’t. We also all ended up with female characters. After a while we realised that we were Charlie's Angels....

My friend playing Charlie decided he didn’t want to leave San Francisco. He spent every turn acquiring assets, giving someone else an additional action, and strategizing. He was convinced he would spend the whole game not leaving San Francisco. He acquired assets and handed them out to his Angels, who then went around completing their missions.

Then we drew the Mythos card which
Spoiler (click to reveal)
sends you to space 8 if you roll a 1 or 2. Charlie was the only person to move!
At this point he was still convinced he would not take a travel action and the only way he would move would be if something forced him to another space without a travel action (Plumb the Void for example) but he wanted to get back to San Francisco.

It was a lot of fun and I really wish I had take actual notes written a session report. We had a really cool set up with one of our players using Plumb the Void and Flesh ward to help the other 2 of us who would be going around closing gates and killing monsters (and obviously attempting mysteries); with Charlie sat back handing out gear and strategising for us.

I used to feel that Arkham Horror was the game for when I wanted a little role play in my Cthulhu games and Eldritch was all about the experience of world travelling. Turns out you can have a lot of fun Role Playing in Eldritch Horror as well!

I hope that my short story has been enjoyable. I want to try a sessions report sometime soon for one of my next sessions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So Charlie just stayed in the sea? What was he doing with his actions? You can acquire assets from the sea.

San Francisco's encounters are actually quite bad for Charlie, having an abnormally high number of Will tests, and a skill reward that Charlie will rarely use. The other American cities aren't much better, and he's better off taking generic city encounters unless he can make it somewhere like London or Istanbul (which is quite "expensive" in terms of actions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
MasterDinadan wrote:
You can acquire assets from the sea.

Is that his speciality, cause everyone else can't...
RefGuide p2:
"As an action, an investigator on a City space tests (influence). Then he may gain any number of cards from the reserve with total value equal to or less than the test result."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant to type can't... Stupid tablet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
So Charlie just stayed in the sea? What was he doing with his actions? You can acquire assets from the sea.

San Francisco's encounters are actually quite bad for Charlie, having an abnormally high number of Will tests, and a skill reward that Charlie will rarely use. The other American cities aren't much better, and he's better off taking generic city encounters unless he can make it somewhere like London or Istanbul (which is quite "expensive" in terms of actions)

By that point one of the players did have plumb the void. If memory serves he only stayed there for maybe 2 turns before being moved out.

As for encounters it didn't feel as though they were useless for him. It is highly likely we got lucky the genetic ones though. Wish I'd taken notes to be able to give you a better explanation.

I'm not going to attempt to say it was a good idea, but it was a lot of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Staying up and giving out gear and actions is definitely a good idea. I just think that if you can go anywhere in the world (Plumbing the void) why would you pick San Francisco of all places?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
Staying up and giving out gear and actions is definitely a good idea. I just think that if you can go anywhere in the world (Plumbing the void) why would you pick San Francisco of all places?

Because that's where Charlie starts. In terms of playing the role it made sense. Although part of me wishes he'd been in London for the clues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.