Popular Tags: [View All]
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got half of the base box of mini's painted thus far (only painting 3 bruisers and 4 runners for each team):

Amazons:

Fangs:

Ringers:

Spent way too much time on the Amazons so I sped things up with the Fangs. Am currently working on the Ogres. The ringers are really fun to paint. I especially like how Macho Libre turned out. My goal is to do a team per week so that I have all seven of my Kickstarter teams done by the middle of June. Still wondering whether or not to paint the props in the game--might just dip them and call it done. We'll see how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG that Dragon is AWESOME.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bum, super awesome! You are making great progress. I especially like what you've done with the coaches.

You're going a lot more quickly than me. I've only done 3 ringers and almost done with the Fangs; that's about it. Keep it up and post some more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morph Mode wrote:
Bum, super awesome! You are making great progress. I especially like what you've done with the coaches.

You're going a lot more quickly than me. I've only done 3 ringers and almost done with the Fangs; that's about it. Keep it up and post some more!

Are you doing the tattoos on the arms of the Fangs? I decided to forego them because a) it seems hard to do such small details, and b) their suits are black and thought adding the tattoos wouldn't look good. But it'd be good to see if you are doing them and how. Make sure to post your pics here too since it would be great to create a painting reference for others in one thread. For some reason, I'm having a hard time uploading photos in the images section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have to ask:

How the heck did you get the skull and crossbones so neatly on the inside of Macho's cape?

I'm looking forward to seeing:

- The spots on Panther

- The pinstripes on Butcher

- The color blue you use on Spectere

Great work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
So I have to ask:

How the heck did you get the skull and crossbones so neatly on the inside of Macho's cape?

Actually, I had primed him white and then painted the black in around the white parts.

I'm finding that I need to forego a lot of the details that are on the illustrations because they are too fine for the miniatures. So I'm not sure how to do Panther's spots yet since those small spots would not work to scale on the mini. But I'm working on her now with the Ogres so should be posting my solution this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bumyong wrote:
Are you doing the tattoos on the arms of the Fangs? I decided to forego them because a) it seems hard to do such small details, and b) their suits are black and thought adding the tattoos wouldn't look good. But it'd be good to see if you are doing them and how.

Whew, just (mostly) finished up Cretin the Ettin and I've got all my fangs 100% basecoated. Should be able to post some pics of most of it tomorrow.

I'm finding the same as you; you can't really duplicate a lot of the really fine details. Like the Fangs tattoos for example; it just comes out looking sloppy and haphazard (unless you are an amazing painter which I am not ) Also the 'Kaosball' wording on Cretin's jersey -- unless someone is an amazing painter I'd suggest just making it a solid purple stripe.

I have found I spent too long fiddling with painting the Fangs. I have to keep telling myself they are just regular units -- save all the hard work for the Ringers! I think for the next team set I do I will probably keep it really basic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I finally managed to finish my Fangs and get them uploaded to the image gallery. I really like the sculpts for the runners; not as crazy about the bruisers. Plus it looks like they should be switched, the runners should be the bruisers and vice versa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking great, John! I agree that the poses are switched. That is true for some of the other teams as well, like the Ogres and Amazons.

You did an awesome job on the wall too. Are you going to paint all the other props like the skulls and balls?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, another week gone by, another team and 2 ringers done. Barely got these finished 'cause I had a big project due last week. I also decided to take photos of the steps in case people were interested.

1. Spray paint primer and then base coat. Brown is a good base for the Ogres.

2. Major blocks of color put in (don't bother with details at this point.

3. "Muddied" with a mix of brown, black and Future Shine floor finish as a wash to put in the shadows and lining. Notice that I do not paint the wash on Spectre's body as I don't want dark shadows there. Also, I don't bother washing anything that will be painted black like his pants.

4. Re-color leaving shadows dark.

5. Details and highlighting with 3 coats of clear spray for protection.

Presenting the Ogres!

Panther and Spectre:

I thought the spots on Panther turned out well. Adding the white dot in the middle made it look a lot better. Also, I wish I would have masked off the Ogres bases because orange is not opaque so I had to put on five coats. I'm going to mask the red bases of the Daemons!

One more week to finish the base set!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Delaney
United States
Friendswood
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic job on all of those! Can't believe you're so far into the set already.

Need more hours in the day. Someone make that happen, please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really wish this was as easy as bumyoung is making it look.

/sigh

These are awesome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the kind words. I'm starting to burn out a little on painting these but must forge ahead! Got the base set of minis done and I'm well into the Zombies and 2 more ringers (I'll post next week).

The Butcher looks plenty creepy, especially with his dress socks! These white lines were as thin as I could get it with my brush. You can get thinner with a white paint pen but I didn't want to buy one just for his stripes.

Three more teams and ten more ringers! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malltown Zombies completed!

Kutulu & Zorra:

Okay, I'm taking a break from painting these as I've got three armies of Deadzone minis to paint as well as all the terrain. Also, I need to get more games in and actually enjoy all these painted figs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5 out of 18 teams is much more than I have painted. Looking forward to see what you do with the rest of the teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.