Popular Tags: [View All]
Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been pondering acquiring this game for quite awhile, but have been unable to commit since the combative elements of this game are outside of my usual comfort zone. Still the bits are so awesome and the card play looks great too.

Well the one sure fire way I know of to determine if a game is going to be to my taste is to watch Richard Ham (aka Rahdo) do a video run through. Richard does a fantastic job of showcasing how a game actually plays versus giving a standard overview/review.

He has a whole geeklist of games currently requested for review and the games on the list with the most thumbs are voted upon each month by a group of around 700 fans who have paid for voting privileges by supporting his Kickstarter campaign. While only this select group gets to vote anyone can help influence that vote by thumbing games they would like to see a video run through of.

Please help me, and possibly yourselves by going to [listitem=3106024][/listitem] and giving it a big old THUMB. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Vosper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if Kemet doesn't wind up winning for you, you could check out Rodney Smith's Watch It Played on Kemet...gives you a pretty good idea of how it plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
vosos102 wrote:
Well if Kemet doesn't wind up winning for you, you could check out Rodney Smith's Watch It Played on Kemet...gives you a pretty good idea of how it plays.

The playlist is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHvfN_pNBj_GRUlSc4RaJ...

The first video is a full rules explanation and then the following videos are a full playthrough of the game.

Of course, you may prefer Richards presentation style and there's no reason he shouldn't cover the game also, but just in case you wanted to watch something in the meantime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jurn
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
vosos102 wrote:

The playlist is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHvfN_pNBj_GRUlSc4RaJ...

The first video is a full rules explanation and then the following videos are a full playthrough of the game.

Of course, you may prefer Richards presentation style and there's no reason he shouldn't cover the game also, but just in case you wanted to watch something in the meantime.

After seeing the "Watch It Played" series for Kemet, I bought the game, so they were very helpful for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodney's Watch It Played series is great and I will likely go ahead and watch his videos on Kemet, BUT there is just something about Richard's style that is a better barometer for me of whether a game is going to be a good fit.

So do me a solid and go give my request for Kemet a thumb. While you're at it you can check out the request list and thumb other games OR even add a games you would like to see to the list. Just remember Richard does 2-player games and he and Jen don't really like direct conflict games (another reason I think he is a good litmus for whether I will go for Kemet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Daniel
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like this one would be out of Richard's comfort zone. He generally shies away from a game with this much direct conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Formersd wrote:
Seems like this one would be out of Richard's comfort zone. He generally shies away from a game with this much direct conflict.

I don't disagree, but there have been some surprises. I can think of at least 3 games that he has done a run through for that he and Jen have liked enough to keep in their collection that I felt had too much direct conflict, but for various reasons they did not object to the conflict in these particular games.

I have watched some other videos on Kemet and have been uncertain if the direct conflict was within my own comfort zone. Sometimes it seems okay and other times I get nervous.

I recently went ahead and got Small World and while it did not seem as all out attack-y as Risk I still didn't really enjoy the game. But mostly for factors other than the direct conflict. I keep hoping that Kemet will be an exception for me, but I can't tell without the kind of intel that a Rahdo Run Through would give me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danielle Goldman
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What is it you don't like about Small World? Kemet is much less deterministic than it and seems to have less of an obvious strategy to me. That being said, I'm 95% certain Rahdo would hate the game though, since it is almost entirely without player conflict. A player can get 4/10 needed victory points without attacking, sure, and if they play extremely defensively and sneakily they might be able to pull off a few more temporary points without attacking, but the primary way to score points is by attacking others and winning in battle. This game is 99% direct conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plasmatorture wrote:
What is it you don't like about Small World?

Well quite simply I found it boring and kind of one note. There are really very few interesting decisions to be made and the choice of races with their special power is such a critical decision, that is flawed in that some pairings are inherently superior to other pairings and to a large degree it is a matter of luck if you are able to get one of these super pairs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Superfly Snuka
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love both games because they are very different. This game is only similar in that you can attack other players. Small world requires players to silently know the powerful pairs of abilities and races and gang up on the player that takes them. In SW the VP is hidden so unless you are Sheldon Cooper, you never really know who the leader is. In Kemet the VP are public knowledge. This helps to know who might be on the warpath.

In Kemet there is only so much army to go around. most of the time a player only has 1 or 2 troops (armies). So you don't have to worry about being attacked from every angle because if you should get attacked you simply resummon your men. In small world you have to make that horrible choice to burn your entire turn to get a new race.

This game has many different ways to win, so it's not all about battle.

The game is played to 10 (8 if you want to have a short game).
You get VP by:
*leveling up your pyramids (no battle)
*holding temples (may or may not require battle)
*holding 2 or more temples (may or may not require battle)
*sacrificing units (no battle 3 and 5 player game only)
*buying VP from the power tiles (no battle, max is 2)
*winning an offensive battle (battle required)
*with the "defensive victory" tile winning a battle (battle required but you don't have to be the attacker)

As you can see, there are plenty of ways to win the game. With the watch it played video and a brief run through of the rules, you should have all you need to make your choice. I highly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, I believe Rahdo will never do a video of this game (and if you fall in line with his tastes, the game might not work for you). Kemet is a game in which player interaction plays a great part in its enjoyment. Cajoling/advising/threatening others in their play is the primary random element in this game. Although you can gain VPs in several ways, at the end of it all, if you want to win, you must attack another player (at least twice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jebbie wrote:
Frankly, I believe Rahdo will never do a video of this game (and if you fall in line with his tastes, the game might not work for you). Kemet is a game in which player interaction plays a great part in its enjoyment. Cajoling/advising/threatening others in their play is the primary random element in this game. Although you can gain VPs in several ways, at the end of it all, if you want to win, you must attack another player (at least twice).

Well the good news for me is that thanks to Richard's Rahdo Runs Through Kickstarter campaign he is accountable to his supporters for many of the videos he makes. As part of his program he does a number of videos each month based on the requests and votes of his fans. So with enough thumbs this game will come up for a vote and if it gets enough votes then Richard will make a video run through.

AND while I respect Richard's opinion and I do have similar tastes to him and his wife there are differences in our taste. SO I am looking for the immersive run through experience and not necessarily for Richard's own personal endorsement of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
vosos102 wrote:

What?! How could I have possibly missed this?? I thought I saw every Watch it Played that covered games I was interested in, and I've been dying to get a better idea of how Kemet plays.

I doubt Rahdo would cover it since I don't think it's currently in his collection, and the game is heavily combat-based which Richard and Jen don't like. Richard has explicitly said that they can be okay with games that start off with direct conflict off the bat, but if the game starts with building things up, and then players take or destroy those things, that's what they find abhorrent in some games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.