United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm dense because I've always had trouble understanding formation shifts, so here is an example with pics which, with your help if you would please, hopefully will clear it up once and for all.

Here is the formation before the shift, where Lexicanium Calistarisus has just died in the topmost position (or position 1 out of 4 to be precise):

Here's what I think it is supposed to look like after shifting. Let's call it Example A:

But where the rule says on pg 28, "Shifting is resolved by taking every Terrain card, Space Marine card, and Genestealer card in the smaller segment..." It always makes me wonder that, since a Marine can't be on top of another Marine, do all the other cards he is in line with in the smaller segment flow past him while he just stays put, or should they stay put as well? Here's my stab at the latter (Example B):

So is it Example A, B, or, Heaven forbid, neither (because it means I'm really out to lunch) ?

Thanks for your replies and patience with my thick-headedness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Which formation shift is correct?
Example B is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
Just played this last night for first time.

Hooked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can tell B is correct, because it hurts more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B is correct.
The manual would be much clearer if it said; "Shifting is resolved by taking every Terrain card, Space Marine card, and Genestealer card in the smaller segment and creating a massive pig pile of death."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I think I got it from de-coding the example on pg. 29. The caveat I was missing as best I can tell is that the formation shifts in such a way that cards from the smaller segment do not encroach on the larger one.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
The easiest way I found to remember how this works is to think about it thematically. In your example, immediately after the death of Lexicanium Calistarisus Brother Goriel finds himself needing to cover both the ventilation duct and the corridor until the formation can move and reallocate their fire arcs.

Also, as a general rule: If you're unsure about how to interpret the rules and one interpretation is less damaging to you than the other, it's always going to be the other interpretation.

And for that I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, sometimes I'm not sure what to do with the guy in the middle when it's an odd number of Marines left. So preshift where Cludio dies in position 2 of 5:

Post shift:

Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case the smaller section of the formation is only Brother Noctis. Therefore you'd just move Noctis down one so he's in front of the corridor and everything else stays as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.