Hide
10 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Dont tell me the odds rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Watt
msg tools
Played my first game with Imperial aces at the weekend and quickly ended up in this position

5 ships at range 1, all with 3 attack normally. All hell should break lose...but... it didn't.

Although a lot of stealth devices ended up inactive, not one ship was removed from the table!

Needless to say with that set up the next few turns did not go favourably for me. So whenever any mentions about green dice turning against you, just remember that sometimes they can end up very much in your favour!

Don't tell me the odds!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Good
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Well played showing the rebel scum the error of their ways. I love my imp aces set but I need to get the standalone interceptor expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Watt
msg tools
Unfortunately that was not how it ended up, Chris. He k turned his force, I did the same with jax but hard banked 1 turr, hoping to finish off Biggles and strip the shields of the rookie. Instead, it took both squints firing to blow Biggles from the sky and my free boost from turr still left him, just, in the rookies arc.

This left me effectively 2 for 1 and I couldn't claw the hits back quickly enough with my remaining forces.

You do want to get the separate squint as turr is still the best pilot, just don't fly him straight into the fire!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Good
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I just played jax with opportunist very interesting 5 attack with a focus plus had howl runner with me. That would sort out pesky biggles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DoctorMike Reddy
United Kingdom
Aberdare
RCT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At last year's UK games expo (UKGE) my second round match was against a guy who was a real mind game player: "Oh… a TIE swarm… yeah right… been there, done that…" and similar dismissive comments. I tell you, it was great to kill his Biggles (Biggs in the US) in turn 3, after which his strategy fell apart :-)
Over-reliance on Biggles makes him a huge target. I thought the meta-game had moved on from that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pawatt wrote:
Unfortunately that was not how it ended up, Chris. He k turned his force, I did the same with jax but hard banked 1 turr, hoping to finish off Biggles and strip the shields of the rookie. Instead, it took both squints firing to blow Biggles from the sky and my free boost from turr still left him, just, in the rookies arc.

This left me effectively 2 for 1 and I couldn't claw the hits back quickly enough with my remaining forces.

You do want to get the separate squint as turr is still the best pilot, just don't fly him straight into the fire!

Did you have PtL on Turr?

I still maintain that Interceptors need PtL, and Turr truely shines with it. barrel roll and boosting after firing can let you clear an incredible amount of return fire, and being able to focus + evade in the event of a catastrophy is far more valueable to me than bumping up his PS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Juneau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctorMikeReddy wrote:
At last year's UK games expo (UKGE) my second round match was against a guy who was a real mind game player: "Oh… a TIE swarm… yeah right… been there, done that…" and similar dismissive comments. I tell you, it was great to kill his Biggles (Biggs in the US) in turn 3, after which his strategy fell apart :-)
Over-reliance on Biggles makes him a huge target. I thought the meta-game had moved on from that?

No one has any illusion that Biggs is a survivor past the first exchange. He's used as a sacrifice on the altar of better positioning from your more (hopefully) agile, reactive ships that don't want to be crippled on the approach.

If Biggs survives despite all that? Then he can be a real dent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
DoctorMikeReddy wrote:

well, outdated doesnt mean no good. Like how a WWII rifle can still kill people as well as any modern day rifle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Never tell me the odds..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Watt
msg tools
Mike, you are correct about Biggles but I thought I had him bang to rights with 2 interceptors at range 1. Problem was he rolled the greens when he really needed them meaning I had two ships firing on him for two turns before the inevitable biggsball o flame.

Allen, I did have ptl on turr but I had hard 1 ed so was too far away from the k turned ships to get completely out of their arc ( and chose not to ptl before firing so as not lose my action.)

Brad, thank you for the correct line, but I teach stats so I kinda have to deal with odds on a daily basis so never seemed inappropriate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.