Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
From my reading of the rules, if you want to assign damage to units, you have to do it first, then any remaining damage goes to the "hero". Is this correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"It is up to you how to assign this damage (whether you put some Units in harm's way, or have your Hero take all the damage)..." pg. 11 of Game Walkthrough Guide.

But, you are correct...Units, if you choose to include them in damage assignments, would go first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
chuckhazard wrote:
From my reading of the rules, if you want to assign damage to units, you have to do it first, then any remaining damage goes to the "hero". Is this correct?

Correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you put a unit in harms way, when do you stop assigning damage to it? Is there a max amount of damage it can take, or can I decide the poor guy has had enough?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Units can only take one wound card. Later they can be healed or be replaced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
sabbat00 wrote:
Units can only take one wound card.
(Unless they get damaged by a poisonous monster.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
sabbat00 wrote:
Units can only take one wound card.
(Unless they get damaged by a poisonous monster.)

Ah, thanks for that. I was reading the section about assigning damage to units with resistance (If there is any remaining damage, continue assigning
damage...) and thinking it meant overall.

So I can't Assign 6 damage to a unit with 5 resistance, then take the wound to myself. Once I start assigning damage to the unit (with resistance), the poor sob is gonna take that wound (if the damage is greater than its armor), no way around it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not have the book in front of me atm but iirc the unit takes a wound when you assign damage to it, regardless of its armor. 4 damage to a 5 armor unit wounds it. 7 damage to the same unit wounds it and leaves 2 left over to be assigned elsewhere.

The exception being if the unit has resistance. 5 ice armor vs a 4 ice attack means that the unit takes nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
chuckhazard wrote:
So I can't Assign 6 damage to a unit with 5 resistance, then take the wound to myself. Once I start assigning damage to the unit (with resistance), the poor sob is gonna take that wound (if the damage is greater than its armor), no way around it.

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckhazard wrote:

What does "5 resistance" mean? Do you mean 5 armor? You can assign 6 damage to a unit with 5 armor. This means the unit gets one wound (assuming no poison) and there is one damage left to be assigned to another unit or to your hero.

If you assign 1 damage to the unit, then the unit absorbs the entire damage, but still gets a wound.

If the unit has resistance equal to the element of attack (such as physical resistance against physical attack, or fire resistance against fire attack), then the damage equal to the unit's armor is absorbed with no wounds. Then the damage continues to be assigned to the same unit with a wound just like normal.

So if you assign 6 physical damage to a unit with 5 armor and physical resistance, then the first five damage does nothing to the unit, and the one damage left over is still assigned to the same unit and that gives the unit a wound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the rules were you assign a wound FIRST, THEN subtract the Unit's armor from the damage total?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
I thought the rules were you assign a wound FIRST, THEN subtract the Unit's armor from the damage total?

Yes, unless the unit has resistance to the element of the attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:

I thought that's what I said. But yes, even the first point of damage causes a wound (without resistances).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
aliallison wrote:
Lhowser wrote:

I thought that's what I said. But yes, even the first point of damage causes a wound (without resistances).

You did. I think I just read it too fast.

I hadn't realized there was a difference between units with resistance and signing damage to them. (I haven't gotten that far with the game, yet.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat J
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Units with physical resistances are a serious game changer when you can get them. Orcs with 3 attack become laughable when you've got a Guardian golem as your unit, and even the illusionists with 2 armor, but physical resistance, make a good sponge for taking damage (after you've used them to skip on enemy attack).

It can turn into quite a numbers game in the late rounds figuring out the best ways to minimize the wounds (or rather, how to minimize the healing required to remove those wounds) since wounds in your hand always cost one, but wounds on the units can cost significantly more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those reading, we should note that you cannot assign part of an enemy's damage to a unit. For instance, if you have to assign 5 physical damage, and you have a unit with 3 armor and physical resistance, it would be nice to assign just 3 damage to the unit, which will cause no wounds, and assign the other 2 to your hero (or another unit). Alas, this is not allowed. Once you pick your unit to receive the damage, the unit gets the damage until it cannot take any more. So a unit with 3 armor and physical resistance will absorb up to 6 physical damage. Damage 1-3 does nothing, but damage 4-6 gives it a wound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For those reading, we should note that you cannot assign part of an enemy's damage to a unit. For instance, if you have to assign 5 physical damage, and you have a unit with 3 armor and physical resistance, it would be nice to assign just 3 damage to the unit, which will cause no wounds, and assign the other 2 to your hero (or another unit). Alas, this is not allowed. Once you pick your unit to receive the damage, the unit gets the damage until it cannot take any more. So a unit with 3 armor and physical resistance will absorb up to 6 physical damage. Damage 1-3 does nothing, but damage 4-6 gives it a wound.

Yes, but your unit takes only one wound, independently from the number of damage that shoots over it. Otherwise your hero would take a number of wound cards (depending on his defense).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be more explicit. From my example above, damage 4-6 causes one wound in total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.