Mark Montreuil
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am getting ready for a tournament, and I have this crazy idea stuck in my head. A first turn 3 Assault missile strike. The main benefit: splash damage can't be evaded, and most TIEs only have 3 hull. They also tend to be close together at game start, and have lowish PS, if it is a true swarm.

If it is Blue squad B wings, they can't evade a four dice attack for beans.

Is this worth the 15 points? Has anyone tried it?

Thoughts?

Mark M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Local guy did well in one and won a second store championship with thak kind of build. I don't think he had Jonus or bothered to set up a TL+Foc shot, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kraft
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firing 3 Assault missiles without focus aint much of an alpha strike id say but with some lucky rolls i guess it could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Total waste of points.

Any good player will see 3 assaults and split his force into wings or rush up with some ships and hang back with others.

Also B-Wings don't mind the splash damage at all. They can even eat an advanced proton torp and live to dish out punishment.

My advice is 2 Assault missile max. It might mess with your opponents formation which can be a good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Watt
msg tools
I don't think you can consistently get off a 'quick' Alpha strike as you need to set up target locks and focus, especially against three defence dice.

That is a lot of points to field without focus, and you must tell your opponent your list before setup so no chance of the surprise attack.

By all means try it but I think you will suffer from very high variance.

It can be devastating if you can hit multiple targets on the same turn though and then have overlapping splash damage but that takes some careful flying to pull off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Sibicky

Washington
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Two is very possible to run on bombers...rebels too, especially once the Z-95's come out. With already a dual shot, you are already going to be provoking your opponent to use a "special strategy" so 3 is not going to be any more effective than 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had tournament success playing two Assault Missiles in a Jonus + 3 Scimitar build; the rerolls help immensely but the getting the joust distance for target lock is quite difficult because of the pilot skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
armoredgear7 wrote:
I've had tournament success playing two Assault Missiles in a Jonus + 3 Scimitar build; the rerolls help immensely but the getting the joust distance for target lock is quite difficult because of the pilot skills.

I've run something similar to this with a decent amount of success, but it has some notable weaknesses. I used Gammas, though, which helps mitigate some of the range issues.

You definitely need Jonus - you can't just fire them off with no tokens and hope to do well. It's also not as obvious to avoid as implied above. Many squads just don't split up well - running this is worth is just to watch the agonized look a TIE swarm player gets. It's also fun watching Biggs drop 2-3 damage points on his friends while you nuke him. Many players have a hard time, mentally, splitting their squad even if there's nothing that requires them to stay close. And even if they do split up, it's not like the missiles do nothing - they're still a 4-die missile, you just paid a wasted point for the splash you don't get to use.

In general, I think it's a very viable build in the current meta. That said, there are some pretty notable weaknesses.

Probably the biggest one is facing high-PS lists. Jonus is critical, and if he goes boom, you're in trouble. If an opponent gets a good jump on you, it can be bloody.

I find, in general, that it's a list that either does very, very well, or very, very badly. In one tournament, I won a game in Round 3 and lost another game in Round 2. The alpha strike either works, or it doesn't, and if it doesn't you haven't got much to fall back on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to get 3 assault missiles to the table that can fire on the first combat turn, you need to bring 2-attack ships to the table and not that many of them. So if you get the missiles off and they all hit, great. If you don't, you are left with 4 ships, most of which don't have much of an attack.

One exception would be two Bounty hunters with Assault: 38 points each.

This leaves you with 24 points which is a Scimitar + Assault (21pts) and you can put a recon on one of the Firesprays. This could work even if you miss with some of your missiles. My one suggestion on firing them without a focus would be to target the same TIE with all three missiles. If your first shot misses, you at least probably stripped his focus/evade, giving your following ships a chance to hit it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Coleman
msg tools
Piqsid wrote:
My one suggestion on firing them without a focus would be to target the same TIE with all three missiles. If your first shot misses, you at least probably stripped his focus/evade, giving your following ships a chance to hit it.

Unless of course the first missile destroys the Tie and you loose your next 2 locks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd mostly echo Buhallin's comments: certain lists have a harder time spreading out than it seems. TIE Swarms can't really, even if they want to - there's just not enough room. I flew this against an 8 ship swarm and the player tried to go wide, but by the time things got into shooting range, he'd bunched up enough that my missiles (plus homers from Jonus) killed 4 TIEs in the first pass.

And as for the "15 wasted points if they spread out" comment - no, it's 3 wasted points, because they're still missiles! Yes, it'd've been better to have concussions if the enemy spreads out, but even so, they're still a better shot than the 2 dice the guns give you.

And really, if the fact that I have assaults means I can shoot at Wedge before Biggs, I'll call that 3 points well spent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taog36 wrote:
Piqsid wrote:
My one suggestion on firing them without a focus would be to target the same TIE with all three missiles. If your first shot misses, you at least probably stripped his focus/evade, giving your following ships a chance to hit it.

Unless of course the first missile destroys the Tie and you loose your next 2 locks.

Not sure I would consider this a waste of a target lock as it destroys a ship with only one missile and the splash damage. Can always use the missiles later. Even without the splash it is a 4 attack. And against swarm, most likely going to have others nearby. I would take the one shot kill and deal with having to perform regular attacks with the other two ships. It would be a lucky roll to one shot kill without modifiers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KickinAces wrote:
taog36 wrote:
Piqsid wrote:

Not sure I would consider this a waste of a target lock as it destroys a ship with only one missile and the splash damage. Can always use the missiles later. Even without the splash it is a 4 attack. And against swarm, most likely going to have others nearby. I would take the one shot kill and deal with having to perform regular attacks with the other two ships. It would be a lucky roll to one shot kill without modifiers.

I am talking about shooting without a focus token. If you do that, your expected damage is 2 with 4 dice. If your target has an evade or Focus, he going to get on average 2 evades with his defense roll. So on the first attack, you will be lucky to even hit the ship you are shooting at, to say nothing of actually killing it. Then the second attack may kill the TIE, but again, you need to roll at least 3 natural hits and the opponent needs to roll no evades. And if you have a ship that "wasted" a target lock, at least you didn't waste the missile, which is the most likely case if you targeted a different ship that had a Focus/Evade and fired without focus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Montreuil
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to the tournament with 2 Assault Missiles and a Proton Bomb. Ended up undefeated after the Swiss rounds to take first and a bye to the regionals.

The threat of possible splash damage had a real effect on the opponents I faced, they spread out more than I think they were comfortable with. The HLC I had equipped allowed me to defeat them in detail. The fact that two of the opponents brought mainly Squints helped, as I got two first combat round kills.

I never actually got much splash damage, but I did get some solid missile hits and a crit from the bomb.

My first opponent was Han and Chewie with two Rooks, and it was the closest match. The Falcon was a great target for the missiles, and gives better range to the splash damage with the large base. HLC at range 3 is superior to the Falcon's turret, as long as you fly we'll enough to consistently get shots.

It was very cool to fly against some new players.

Mark M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been toying with 2 Assault Missiles and have had very good results with them. I've found that the Falcon is the toughest opponent and it appears everything else I've slaughtered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mårten Cederholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magicmarcus wrote:
I went to the tournament with 2 Assault Missiles and a Proton Bomb. Ended up undefeated after the Swiss rounds to take first and a bye to the regionals.

The threat of possible splash damage had a real effect on the opponents I faced, they spread out more than I think they were comfortable with. The HLC I had equipped allowed me to defeat them in detail. The fact that two of the opponents brought mainly Squints helped, as I got two first combat round kills.

I never actually got much splash damage, but I did get some solid missile hits and a crit from the bomb.

My first opponent was Han and Chewie with two Rooks, and it was the closest match. The Falcon was a great target for the missiles, and gives better range to the splash damage with the large base. HLC at range 3 is superior to the Falcon's turret, as long as you fly we'll enough to consistently get shots.

It was very cool to fly against some new players.

Mark M.

What list were you running?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Montreuil
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I have a bye to the local regional tournamentin July, and knowing that the local players are all reading up on what to field, do you mind if I defer answering your question until after the next tournament?

I did not field any of the currently-popular lists, and I want to see how my list fares in a tougher setting.

Cheers,

Mark M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim East
Australia
flag msg tools
This is an idea that I've been toying with since the Z-95s were announced.

Airen Cracken + Push the Limit + Assault Missiles = 27 pts
Lt Blount + Wingman + Assault Missiles = 24 pts
Tala Sq Pilot + Assault Missiles = 18 pts
Biggs Darklighter + R2-F2 + Stealth Device = 31 pts
Total: 100 pts

The idea is to have Cracken use PTL to Focus Lock, the Tala Pilot and Blount to TL, and Biggs to defend. Cracken uses his deal to Focus either the Tala Pilot or Blount, depending on who has the best shot. I'd be inclined to give it to the Tala Pilot, since Blount's shot will splash regardless.

Then it's up to good manuevering, judicious use of Cracken's ability and PTL, and Biggs' defence to mop up the survivors.

It's a solid Alpha strike, but with 3 Z-95s and only 1 X-wing, it'll be tough to beat anything but swarms. But who knows? Don't have any Z-95s yet. Playtesting will be fun though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Montreuil
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the build that I used in the store tournament was:

Kath in her Firespray with a HLC, assault missile and a proton bomb
Jonus in his bomber with an Assault Missile
Mauler in his TIE with Squad Leader

The idea was that Kath would get three rerolls with her secondary weapons as long as Jonus was in range, and that Mauler could give an extra action to Jonus for a focus or target lock.

At that tournament, I was undefeated, and faced a lot of squints that went down hard to the HLC&AM combo. Hardest match was against Han Shoots First.

I did not take this list to regionals.

Mark M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magicmarcus wrote:
So the build that I used in the store tournament was:

Mark M.

Isn't that 101 points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Haglund
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magicmarcus wrote:
The idea was that Kath would get three rerolls with her secondary weapons as long as Jonus was in range

This doesn't actually work. Core rule book, page 12: "a die that has already been rerolled cannot be rerolled again during this attack."

EDIT: As in, you can't reroll the same die three times. You can of course reroll up to three different dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Montreuil
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, Krassis, got my K's mixed up. Yes, it was up to three different dice rerolled, not the same die 3 times.

Mark M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain Less
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magicmarcus wrote:

You see what happens when you go rebel...finish 9th

Still, not a lot of tie swarms that day, so assault missiles would not have been optimal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Montreuil
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weren't the top two players both flying Falcons? 9-)

Mark M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The primary problem with 3 Assualt Missiles is having 3 viable craft that can take missiles, and still be useful afterwards. The list I came up with off the top of my head:

3x Green Sq P. + Assault M + PtL
1x Airen Cracken

Each GSP is capable of a reasonable AM on its own and the PtL keeps them effective during mop up. Airen helps (a little) vs high PS lists by handing out a target lock to at least 1 GSP on the first pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.