Popular Tags: [View All]
JPG
Canada
Sherwood Park
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Record Reconstructor states the following:

Whenever you make a successful run on Archives, instead of accessing cards, you may choose 1 faceup card in Archives and add it to the top of R&D.

In a recent game, the runner made a run on Archives (no ice) with Record Reconstructor installed. Corp had a Jackson Howard installed and rezzed with a few face down cards in archives (at least one agenda).

There was a dispute on the timing structure.

Does the runner have to declare if they are using Record Reconstructor or accessing the facedown cards before the Corp can choose to use Jackson?

In a normal run on Archives, the runner would have to declare they were accessing cards, then the corp could use Jackson. Step 4 of the Timing Structure of a Run has the runner deciding to jack out or continue the run at step 4.2, while the last chance for the Corp to use Jackson is at 4.3. At step 4.4 the run is considered successful and access is on step 4.5.

Based on this it seems that although the Runner has decided to access cards by Step 4.2, he can decide to use the replacement effect of RR in step 4.5 (edited)(run considered successful), thereby forcing the Corp to use Jackson to save the agenda and deciding to use RR instead if the Corp takes out the cards in Archives.

I could not find this interaction in the FAQ or on BBG. Any thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's an access replacement effect, and therefore the decision is made when access would normally happen.

EDIT: This means they choose to use Jackson before you decide to access or us Record Reconstructor's effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
The closest I can find in the FAQ is Account Siphon:

"The Runner can choose to not use the ability on Account
Siphon when the run is successful. If he does, he does not
take any tags."

That seems to indicate that the Runner makes the decision to use "if the run is successful, instead of accessing" replacement effects at 4.4. The Corp's last chance to use Jackson Howard is at 4.3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedraum
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar interactions would be Account Siphon or Bank Job. The runner only has to decide whether to continue or jack out at 4.2, but does not need to decide on whether to access or use replacement effect until the actual access step (4.5).

At 4.2, I've begun asking the Runner whether they want to continue or not, instead of asking him if he wants to access. Semantics I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Larner
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Just as a quick clarification - the runner actually decides whether to use replacement effects (Record Reconstructor, Account Siphon, Bank Job, etc.) at 4.5. This means anything that triggers in 4.4 (Desperado, Ash, Hokusai Grid, etc.) resolves first, and then the runner decides whether they want to access or do something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedraum
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jadiel wrote:
Just as a quick clarification - the runner actually decides whether to you replacement effects (Record Reconstructor, Account Siphon, Bank Job, etc.) at 4.5. This means anything that triggers in 4.4 (Desperado, Ash, Hokusai Grid, etc.) resolves first, and then the runner decides whether they want to access or do something else.

Good catch my friend! Edited my post so there is no confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.