4 Posts

Shadows over Camelot» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is defeating a Siege Engine a Quest in Camelot? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vlad Orellana
msg tools
Hi,

Since Camelot is listed as a quest, does defeating a siege engine completes a Quest in Camelot?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
nope

and even when you defeat a quest in this game....you really don't defeat said quest

hate this game cause of that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
seniorwatashi wrote:
Hi,

Since Camelot is listed as a quest, does defeating a siege engine completes a Quest in Camelot?

Thanks!

Some cards such as Vivien refer to the card being removed when a Quest is won. In the Book of Quests, Card appendix II, Dark Forest and Vivien (page 16) note that defeating a siege engine do not count as a Quest won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
"I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." ~Ettiene De Grellet
badge
MythicParty is a collaboration of socially-conscious geeks who raise $ to help various charitable causes- thanks to our supporters at Gen Con 2010, we raised $2,052 for an effort to help Gulf Coast recovery. Anyone can get involved just ask me how!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking that yes, the Siege Engines are a Quest, albeit one properly named, 'The Siege of Camelot.' From the Book of Quests, page 2: "There are also two "Special" Quests within Camelot proper, where defeat spells certain doom for the Loyal Knights:
*The Siege of Camelot, which is lost if 12 Siege Engines ever surround Camelot;
*and the Quest of the Round Table, where the outcome of the game is decided in whichever color Swords have the majority once 12 or more have been laid down
."

Then on page 12 of the Book of Quests:
"Camelot is not an ordinary Quest, but truly the heart of the game." It then goes on to explain both the Round Table + the Siege Area.

But what about the Special Black cards, Dark Forest & Vivien? Well these being Special Black are special circumstances specific to the Holy Grail Quest & Merlin respectively. Dark Forest says that in order for it to be discarded a Quest must be won; "Camelot and the Siege Engines excepted." Vivien meanwhile is even more explicit about the restrictions for its discard. "Winning a fight against a Siege Engine does not count as a Quest won, for this purpose." Both cards make it clear that beating a Siege Engine won't remove them, not that fighting a Siege Engine isn't a Quest itself. Vivien's language is quite detailed about this- i.e the "does not count...for this purpose."

It's probably just a technicality but EVERYTHING looks to be labeled a Quest. Even the Pict/Saxon Wars are considered a Quest: officially their terminology is a "Perpetual Group Quest."

Finally, if Kay's Special Power is that he can play a card when Combat ends on a Quest, & as we've already established Kay can definitely do this Vs. Siege Engines, then logically these are part of a Quest, aka one actually called The Siege of Camelot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.