Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know of a dice rolling site or app (WinPC or Android) that supports opposed rolls? Preferably with custom valued dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming you're using the usual concept of an "opposed roll" where you're effectively subtracting one side's roll from the other, you can do all of that with anydice.com

For example, suppose you're making an attack in Betrayal at House on the Hill, which involves an opposed roll of a variable number of special dice numbered from 0 through 2. If the attacker is using 5 dice and the defender is using 3, you can type in:

output 5d{0,1,2} - 3d{0,1,2}

Then click the "Roller" button below the code entry box to put it in roller mode, and off you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking to have the result of individual custom numbered D6es compared individually with other custom D6es so the higher number result from each die rolled wins.

To be more specific; I'm trying to get the odds of multiple types of non-transitive dice rolled in variable numbers against each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can probably do that in anydice as well, though it may get complicated depending on exactly how your system works.

Anydice supports comparison operators like < and >, so you can test if one weird die rolls higher than another weird die with something like:

output d{2,4,9} > d{1,6,8}

Comparisons evaluate to "1" for true and "0" for false. If you just want to roll that pair of dice a bunch of times, you can turn the result of that comparison into a new die, and then roll as many copies of it as you like:

output 10d(d{2,4,9} > d{1,6,8})

If you want to combine several different head-to-head rolls, you can do math on the results of the comparisons:

output (d{2,4,9} > d{1,6,8}) + (d{1,6,8} > d{3,5,7})

If you want to roll two groups of dice and pair them up based on what they roll (rather than determining the pairings before rolling)--for example, to do the combat rolls in Risk where you pair the two highest dice, then the next two highest--you'll probably have to write your own subfunctions. The on-site documentation's pretty good, but you may need some basic programming experience. (Or you can try to talk someone here into writing the program for you, but you'll need to provide a complete description of how your dice system works.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jeremy. That helped a lot. I am digging through the documentation and functions now.

The example from Risk you use is basically what I want to do so I can test different ways of assigning the dice.

As practice I have done the below based on the Efron Dice found here.

BVM: d{3} > d{6,6,1,1,1,1}
output BVM named "Blue vs Magenta"
RVB: d{0,0,4,4,4,4} > d{3}
output RVB named "Red vs Blue"

I already know the odds for one die verses the other so I know I'm doing that part right as I get:

Blue vs Magenta
0 33.33%
1 66.67%
RED vs Blue
0 33.33%
1 66.67%

I tried the head to head you suggested using
output BVM + RVB

I think I have the syntax correct as I get a result of:
Output 3
0 11.11%
1 44.44%
2 44.44%

But I'm not sure what this tells me exactly.

I also want to see how the odds change when there are, say, more Blue dice rolled against less Magenta dice. I'm sure I just need to find this in the documentation/Functions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SPBTooL wrote:
output BVM + RVB

Output 3
0 11.11%
1 44.44%
2 44.44%

That tells you that if you roll BvM and then also make a completely separate and independent roll of RvB, there's a 4/9 chance that you'll win both rolls, a 4/9 chance that you'll win one but lose the other, and a 1/9 chance that you'll lose both.

SPBTooL wrote:
I also want to see how the odds change when there are, say, more Blue dice rolled against less Magenta dice. I'm sure I just need to find this in the documentation/Functions.

Well, you can't be doing a one-for-one comparison if the number of dice is different. You need to start by defining precisely how you are combining all of those dice to produce the final result.

For example, you could add up all the dice from each pool and compare their sums. Or, you could take the single highest die from each pool and just compare those, discarding the other dice. Or you could use the dice to make poker hands (pairs, straights, full houses...) and compare those!

If you want a useful answer, it's critically important to ask the right question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
SPBTooL wrote:
output BVM + RVB

Output 3
0 11.11%
1 44.44%
2 44.44%

That tells you that if you roll BvM and then also make a completely separate and independent roll of RvB, there's a 4/9 chance that you'll win both rolls, a 4/9 chance that you'll win one but lose the other, and a 1/9 chance that you'll lose both.

Got it. That will be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.