Erik Capps
United States
Milan
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone!

Susan and I were working on an article for Rulebook Review after we made a suggestion for a particular rulebook we were asked to do an edit on. This game used something other then "player" when describing those who were playing.

For example, let's pretend it was a horse racing game. The players were called "Racers" instead of "Players".

We suggested they change it back to players as many people I know have said they prefer that in rulebooks, but I realized that maybe the larger world on BGG might think differently, so I thought I'd ask!

Poll
Should rulebooks only use the term "Player" when describing the people playing their game?
Yes
No
It Depends On The Game
      126 answers
Poll created by Capps

I'd love to get any of your thoughts on this as well. The most insightful thoughts I'll quote in the article and will get a geekgold tip as well!

So BGG, what do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Using Something Other Then "Player" In Rulebooks. Your Thoughts?
I understand that game designers really want to get people immersed in the theme of their games, but I really don't think using anything other than "player" is a good idea. For one thing, it can be confusing. It's important to distinguish between the player, characters they control, and any non-playable characters. This distinction may not be as critical if the player already knows how to play the game, but to a newcomer, referring to the player as "The Elf Lord" can be very confusing. Who's the Elf Lord? What is he supposed to be doing? Do I have to do anything?

For another thing, the player is generally not immersed in the game while reading the rule book. At that point, they're simply figuring out how to play. Don't make that harder. If the theme is so weak that the designer really feels the need to refer to the player as "The Elf Lord" to make it stronger, the theme needs some reworking.

My two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Stewart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Capps wrote:
For example, let's pretend it was a horse racing game. The players were called "Racers" instead of "Players".

This is a perfect example for me. Mention that the players will be refereed to by the term for the rest of the rule book and that would cover it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you go with "player" unless that would lead to confusion. However, the only case I can think of where that was necessary is Blood Bowl. The rules call the player "Coaches" instead of players because the pieces who are moved around the board are referred to as players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that for the purpose of clarity, players should only ever be referred to as "players" in the rule book. It helps to differentiate the player from the pawn/minifig/token(s) on the board representing them, which might be referred to as "racers", "jockeys" or "horses".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is unnecessary and confusing.

If you absolutely have to call players something else, I suggest "actioneers." I made that word up, but it's yours to use. You're welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't think there's anything wrong with using a different word, so long as it is introduced clearly at the outset as the term referring to players and used consistently. Also there isn't much point unless it is thematic or used to clarify human "players" from some game piece called a "player."

The dominating principle is clarity of instruction, however. If the instructions are generally poorly written and unclear, then it doesn't matter what the terms are, readers will struggle. If the instructions are crystal clear and well written, on the other hand, then using an alternate term for players will not cause confusion and may add theme. If there is any doubt, then strive for simplicity and use the term "players."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bottom line:

K.I.S.S.

Don't overthink it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard B
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
For what it's worth in this context I don't see the difference between "no" and "it depends on the game."

I personally voted "no" because I like when rules integrate theme and this is one way help achieve that end. You can, of course, still do that while referring to "players" (see Galaxy Trucker). Certainly not a requirement for me either way though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Using Something Other Then "Player" In Rulebooks. Your Thoughts?

I don't care what you refer to them as, but I would prefer you change 'then' to 'than' in the thread title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no reason to get cute. It is good to create defined terms and use them consistently. But you don't need to do that for commonly understood terms. All they do is create a buffer to understanding and get in the way.

Flavor text is for immersion. Rules are for clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Normally I would say Yes but I have to leave the option open depending on the game; some game would possibly use a new term incredibly well. So I said depending on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Capps
United States
Milan
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Quote:
Using Something Other Then "Player" In Rulebooks. Your Thoughts?

I don't care what you refer to them as, but I would prefer you change 'then' to 'than' in the thread title.

What are you talking about? It IS than in the title! whistle

I spend so much time proofreading things other people write and forget to check my own. Don't judge me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Capps wrote:
What are you talking about? It IS than in the title!
Nice try It might have worked except BGG references the original thread title above posts when the original title has changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think "Playa" works better. shake

Seriously though, I can see where using names like "Racers" just comes across as being cutesy and pointless, unless it makes more sense to use such a nickname rather than constantly restating something like "a player who controls a racehorse" (especially if it applies to fewer than the total number of players present).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Capps
United States
Milan
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Capps wrote:
What are you talking about? It IS than in the title!
Nice try It might have worked except BGG references the original thread title above posts when the original title has changed.

GASP! My nefarious plans have failed! You have beaten me this time, but next time I shall come back more powerful then ever before! MWAHAHAHHA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Crane
United States
Sherman Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm just gonna jump on with everyone else saying that it should be "player" unless clarity truly demands something else. I'm also going to extend that out to say that all things in a game should be referred to by their common names where possible. Tell me to roll the dice, not the battle cubes. I draw a card, not a flexible-randomizer-tablet.

The example above of Blood Bowl is a good one -- where a game piece is referred to as a "player" (again following common usage since it is a sports game) it makes sense not to also call players players.

Other times where it would be acceptable are in asymetric games, such as stronghold, where you have an Attacker and a Defender, or something like Fury of Dracula with Hunters and Dracula. To say "player" in either of those games when referring to an action that only some players can take makes no sense.

Generally speaking, though, when I'm reading a rulebook, I'm going to mentally translate whatever word the book uses for player into player anyways, so just using player saves me a bit of mental effort while trying to absorb the rules. And saving that effort is a good and worthwhile thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Capps wrote:
but next time I shall come back more powerful then ever before!
Well played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I'm in favor of simplicity and "player" should be used when an actual person playing the game is being referenced but some rules require care.

In Pandemic, for example, refering to actions available to the Medic are more simply written as "The Medic can do XYZ." This is much more direct and clear than saying "The player in the role of the Medic can do XYZ."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
To quote the late and great Benjamin Franklin: Don't pass judgment in poor favor of the the player, pass judgement in poor favor of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the players should always be referred to as "blokes," even the females.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dudes and Babes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Capps
United States
Milan
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you to everyone who gave me their thoughts! I've handed out a bunch of geekgold and quoted some of you in the article! If you want to give it a look you can click here. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Im not a player, im a farmer!!! #AgricolaLife

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it depends on the game and the rulebook.

If you go with a different term, us it exclusively - don't switch back and forth between "Player" and "Racer" for example.

It also helps when the word is capitalized, e.g. "Racer," or perhaps bolded, e.g. racer, to help indicate it's a keyword.

Also, make the definition right away in the rulebook, and make it very clear that that's the term for the players in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.