Subject: MY WIFE...A CLOSET SUPER-HEROINE IS SHE!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
steven shaw
United Kingdom
ashton under lyne
lancashire
flag msg tools
After several failed attempts at trying to find a game my missus will actually play...or even attempt to play...I have now found THAT game, and I would never have predicted, of all the games:

My missus will play MARVEL LEGENDARY!!!

And what's more, she is probably better than me at it!
OK, this is Saturday night after all TV-watching is done, and she needs three bottles of wine down her neck before she will consider it AND I have to listen to Robbie Williams singing about him and his monkey about thirty times, which is a heavy price to pay I will admit, BUT: she plays it She is a secret super-heroine!!

Now...is Zombicide even a distinct possibility...? Not entirely sure our local shop has that big a stock of wine...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, I just saw "wife" and "heroin(e)" and had to see this topic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alcohol never fails to get people do things they normally wouldn't do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven shaw
United Kingdom
ashton under lyne
lancashire
flag msg tools
Well...if she will play Marvel Legendary on just 3 bottles of wine...imagine the possibilities if stronger substances were applied...

OK it's a habit to feed, and I understand the consequences of addiction...but Eldritch Horror is a really good game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Maunder
Wales
Newcastle Emlyn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a new stat needed on BGG. "Number of bottles of wine needed to encourage husband/wife/partner to play", or something like that? Wonder where TI3 would come in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of alcohol sounds like a good idea until you wake up and realise you lost at Monopoly and used all the house rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven shaw
United Kingdom
ashton under lyne
lancashire
flag msg tools
If its monopoly we are playing then it's me who needs a bucket of vodka. It's bad enough having to placate her with scrabble, I mean, why would anyone want to play anything without zombies, ninjas, lovecraftian horrors, superheroes, giant monsters or goblins???? Women can be such a mystery...

Playing dixit was an even more perplexing experience... How can anyone look at their card and seriously give a clue like: "the new shmu"??? What the hell??? How do I find a card that matches "the new shmu"?? What the hell is a "shmu"?? I thought I was supposed to be the geeky weird one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven shaw
United Kingdom
ashton under lyne
lancashire
flag msg tools
Apparently I have just spelt shmu wrong... Apparently it's: shmoo.

Kudos to anyone who knows what a shmoo is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debbie
England
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
brucetea wrote:
Apparently I have just spelt shmu wrong... Apparently it's: shmoo.

Kudos to anyone who knows what a shmoo is.

Is it a 'shoe' after 3 bottles of wine? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary is one of the first games recommended (right behind lost cities) on the recommendation threads when anyone asks for a game to play with their significant other. I thought it was common knowledge that Legendary was a great spouse game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven shaw
United Kingdom
ashton under lyne
lancashire
flag msg tools
It's not a shoe.... Keep going...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Hammons
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For my wife it was Ascension. Once she realized it was a "shopping" game (her words) she loved it and even downloaded it for iPad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven shaw
United Kingdom
ashton under lyne
lancashire
flag msg tools
I played lost cities with her and she thought it was "alright" but I'm just really surprised she has took to anything with more theme. Although you might have hit the nail on the head with the "shopping" aspect, I never thought of that... I'm like "OK you going to attack sabre tooth?" And she's like "yes I'm going to buy the toothy one".
I once tried a touch of evil, convinced she would love it, and she hated it so much that it took me forever to convince her to play anything else with me again, even WITH plenty of wine. So fortune and glory is probably out. King of Tokyo went down like a wooden leg too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Waring
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
brucetea wrote:
It's not a shoe.... Keep going...

Is it that old cartoon strip character?

I'm currently trying to find games for my wife as well. We haven't gotten to play it yet, but we bought Takenoko because she thought she'd enjoy it. Her family is in to nascar so we also got Formula D. She also likes Munchkin and we have a good group that likes to play with several other couples. Some of the women are extremely evil when playing Munchkin. My wife is usually pretty open to trying new things though. I've even got her roleplaying Star Wars Edge of the Empire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Fergin
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
Homer Simpson
badge
"Trying is the first step towards failure."
mbmbmbmbmb
brucetea wrote:
And what's more, she is probably better than me at it!

This might be the reason she's into it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach "Green Knight" Gable
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brucetea wrote:
Now...is Zombicide even a distinct possibility...? Not entirely sure our local shop has that big a stock of wine...

Hells yeah, it's light, fun and easy to learn. It even has a "shopping" kind of mechanic in searching, okay maybe that is not shopping at all... My wife plays Zombicide with me, give it a try. I have also had great success with Magic and Descent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven shaw
United Kingdom
ashton under lyne
lancashire
flag msg tools
I tried magic long ago with her and she was bored to tears... Almost literally. I would be amazed if she ever went for descent, though it sound like something I would personally love, so shame I'll never get to play it. I'm limited to solo or co-op games really. Haven't got around to talking her into zombicide yet but seems worth a punt. I wonder if the mice in mice and mystics would up the appeal for her?
Just took a big chance and ordered tales of the Arabian nights. Seems like pretty chilled out fun, nothing to give too much brain strain. Does anyone know what it plays like solo, in case my purchase backfires?
She does really love anything to do with the Tudors, if anyone has any ideas gamewise?

Who said the new shmoo was an old cartoon strip character? Sounds like you're getting close...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven shaw
United Kingdom
ashton under lyne
lancashire
flag msg tools
Hahaha....genius

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.