Subject: Upgrading to Advance! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

I own all the old Thunderstone expansions. I played again recently after a hiatus and realized I still love the game (I had thought that Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game had replaced it, but I was wrong).

I've decided to "update" to Advance. I already own Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin, I've got the two smaller Advance expansions and World's Collide on order. I haven't decided about the starter set. Is it worth it? I'm skipping Thunderstone Advance: Numenera as I want to stick with the original theme.

I was really excited to hear about Thunderstone Advance: Worlds Collide. Replacing the old cards to the new style is a really cool idea, but from looking at a couple lists of cards it seems many of my favorites are missing. Does anyone know if there are plans for another update set? Is there a list of what cards from the original series are not updated? I haven't decided if I'm going to keep using the original cards that haven't been updated, but with 4 Advance sets (two big box and two small box) I probably will have plenty variety.

I play epic style by the way with 5 or each of the cards in the stacks. That way I can store everything in one box.

Here is the set up I use:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/777800/my-epic-thunderstone-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickon V
United States
Dover Foxcroft
Maine
flag msg tools
They are doing another expansion! It's called Into the Abyss. Here is the description from CSI "Thunderstone Advance: Into the Abyss continues the story of survival in the forsaken realm.

This set showcases a blend of 381 cards from the first six Thunderstone releases, together with some new heroes, spells, items, villagers, and monsters. It also incorporates alternate uses for experience tokens and fourth level heroes for this set and the companion set, Worlds Collide.

This set is an expansion and requires a Thunderstone Advance base set (such as Worlds Collide) to play."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great. Thanks!

machine_monkey wrote:
They are doing another expansion! It's called Into the Abyss. Here is the description from CSI "Thunderstone Advance: Into the Abyss continues the story of survival in the forsaken realm.

This set showcases a blend of 381 cards from the first six Thunderstone releases, together with some new heroes, spells, items, villagers, and monsters. It also incorporates alternate uses for experience tokens and fourth level heroes for this set and the companion set, Worlds Collide.

This set is an expansion and requires a Thunderstone Advance base set (such as Worlds Collide) to play."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the dark side, Luke. We have been waiting for you. sauron

-Slo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bailey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
turtleback wrote:
I haven't decided about the starter set. Is it worth it?
That depends on how much of a completionist you are and/or how cheap you can get it. The Starter Set only has five heroes, ten village types, three monster groups, one thunderstone bearer, and one disease type (curses). And, of course, another set of basic cards. That puts it at about 2/3 (heroes and village) to 1/2 (monsters) the new cards of an expansion. There're all pretty basic, too. I bought it to get started when I couldn't find a copy of ToR for a reasonable price. It serves that purpose well, being a way to try out the game without paying for a full blown base set, but I don't know that it would be a good value as an addition to ToR + WC + CoB + RoC.

Unless, of course, you are a rabid completionist, or you find it dirt cheap.

machine_monkey wrote:
They are doing another expansion! It's called Into the Abyss.
Thanks for the heads-up, MM! Glad to see they're expanding WC / the original "traditional" fantasy theme in lieu of expanding Numenara. I'm happy for the people that liked Numenara, but I really, really disliked the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkwynd wrote:
[q="turtleback"]... and one disease type (curses)....

Just as a minor correction, the Starter set's diseases are just the basic diseases -- not curses. They're just like the ones in Worlds Collide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bailey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rogue148 wrote:
Darkwynd wrote:
... and one disease type (curses)....

the Starter set's diseases are just the basic diseases -- not curses.
You are correct. My bad. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.