Subject: Legend 2: a time of healing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend 2 - Warrior, Archer and Dwarf - solo play (also posted in the Soloplay April Geeklist).

This was an excellent session, my first at the second legend. Having played the first Legend a few times, I'd picked up a few ideas about how to go about the game. Keep the Heroes together as far as possible, attack as a group, plan to allow monsters to enter the castle up to the limit allowed...

So first up the Heroic band decided to pick off a couple of easier Gors (working as a group) to allow room to rescue the farmer and get him to the castle. (Even so, I suffered a couple of consecutive double 5 rolls by a Gor on one occasion - nasty!) The second farmer then appeared needing help and fortunately I just picked him up and delivered him to the castle just before an event would have caused him to be afflicted with some hideous condition and die.

Before long the board seemed chock with monsters and it becomes very important to target those that will prevent chaining happening too quickly - fortunately this normally means a Gor that will leapfrog a Skral before being leapfrogged itself.

I levelled up the archer mostly with additional power and got the Warrior a helm and also a telescope to help look for the witch. Having secured the western side of the board, I moved across to the south of the river to search for the witch. No luck, though some coins and extra willpower were welcome.

Prince Thorald was brought in to help defeat a Skral that was positioned just south of the bridge and which would have caused some nasty chaining - then it was time to despatch the Dwarf on a solo mission across the river in search of the elusive witch. No luck on the north side, but he eventually found her on the far east of the board in the fog (using his trusty telescope).

He was now near the mine and was able to level up to 5 strength and he also acquired a vital falcon, which was used to transport a runestone to the Archer. The Archer also picked up another runestone fortunately positioned near his location, whilst taking out a couple of Gors with the warrior. By this time the double movement dogs of war (Wardrak) had arrived and were threatening to chain move themselves over the Gor - hence the urgency to remove these western Gor.

The healing herb had been found just to the East of the river in the far south. The Dwarf headed there from the mine (shop) and took out the Gor with the Herb. He used the falcon (the following day) to send it to the Warrior who took it the one space further to the castle to heal the king.

By this time it was clear I was on the last day. Three monsters had invaded the castle (but I still have one "farmer" space free). There were two more in positions next to the castle, ready to move in next day and the time track was only two short of the "N". But this could be done.

With the use of some wineskins, all the heroes headed to the Skral castle lair located to the north of the board. The archer had time to pick up one more runestone which completed his colour set - black die! At the start of the battle, Archer was on hour 6, warrior on hour 6 and the Dwarf on hour 7. They attacked together.

The Skral tower had strength 30 and 6 willpower. My Heroes had strength 14. The archer (black die) rolled a 6 only (bad start). The warrior rolled double 5 (10, with his helm). The dwarf rolled 6 and used the witches brew to double the hit (12). Total hit 42. Barring a double roll by the Skral, it would be enough - the Skral rolled, no double, the fortress fell and the Heroes were successful.

But what has happened to Prince?

Great game - real sense of achievement in getting the medicine to the king and defeating the Skral lair. It was always touch and go (and the tension was heightened by the fact that I needed to pack up and go out and time was really running out - this one took much longer to play). In the end, I had three monsters in the castle and the time track on two before the final "N" space as the sun was setting and the fortress was taken!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. I'm currently in the middle of this Legend with the warrior and the archer. After getting home from work and getting everyone settled, I don't have much time for gaming, so I've just been leaving the game set up in my office and every night I play one game-day. It's a great game for this approach. I strategize my next moves in my head all day. Random aside, but there ya go. Pretty sure I'm going to lose this round. I think I waited too long to take on the skral fort and now I may not be able to get to it without being overrun. But we'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks - after playing the first Legend with just the Warrior and Archer, I decided that I needed some extra help if things were going to get tougher in the later legends - hence, I drafted in the Dwarf too. Not sure I could have done it with only two Heroes!

I also liked the thematic aspect of the Warrior and Archer sending the Dwarf off on this separate quest to find the witch, get the herb and send it back via falcon to the castle. Though, obviously, much depends on where in the fog the witch turns out to be.

Good luck with the rest of the Legend! I think really that, whilst I may have made some decent decisions, I just got lucky that some of them worked out - I certainly never felt in control and, until the point where I got that herb back to the castle, I always felt that I was going to lose!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.