Hide
7 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Variants

Subject: A cute Borg Sphere combo that will make purists barf: rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
A friend of mine noticed a cute, entirely non-thematic interaction. Not sure if it's been mentioned here before:

Pin them in place without the guesswork!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
badge
A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?
mbmbmbmbmb
But you can't use the Tractor Beam in the turn you look at the other ship's dial. Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooter of the Ancients
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
alepperd wrote:
A friend of mine noticed a cute, entirely non-thematic interaction. Not sure if it's been mentioned here before:

Pin them in place without the guesswork!

Tractor Beam requires an Action.
Using the Pilot's ability causes you to forgo your Action this turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
Mordaenor wrote:

Unless I'm missing something, maintaining the beam doesn't require an action, and being able to look at their dial virtually guarantees they'll never break out once you've established it, since you can look at their dial and match speed and direction to maintain range 1.

E: Also just noticed I put this in the wrong forum, meant to go in the tactics/strategy one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooter of the Ancients
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
alepperd wrote:
Mordaenor wrote:

Unless I'm missing something, maintaining the beam doesn't require an action, and being able to look at their dial virtually guarantees they'll never break out once you've established it, since you can look at their dial and match speed and direction to maintain range 1.

That's true, if you can maintain the lock for the first round (i.e. they don't fly away right after you establish it) yes, this would work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordaenor wrote:
alepperd wrote:
Mordaenor wrote:

That's true, if you can maintain the lock for the first round (i.e. they don't fly away right after you establish it) yes, this would work.

Also, Tractor Beam doesn't disable, making it easy to continue trying. I'm not sure but I think it's my favorite Borg upgrade, although the Hull Armor is also very good.

I think this combo has merit, though the no actions part can be difficult to deal with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles skrobis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seen it.

Makes things really funny when the person screws up and dials in a 3 maneuver or greater, because then it's an illegal maneuver, and you can choose their maneuver for them with planning of your own maneuver.

The one thing to watch out for is if they have a second ship, or if the ship you tractor beamed can still fire at you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.