Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray Boshell
United States
Haleyville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought and am loving C&C Ancients. I am a old time Memoir 44 player with all(almost) of the expansions. What are the Essential Expansions for C&C or at least best ones?

Any help would be appreciated...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ones that interest you the most topic-wise....

Other than that I would say that the upcoming combi-expansion set from GMT which has expansions 2&3 in one box is a good call as it has a lot of scenarios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All.

I'm not actually kidding much. But a little.

The easy choice is to say Greece and the Eastern Kingdoms. It's a nice set and it's available now. The others are all of limited availability at the moment.

The first two Rome sets (#2 and #3) are being combined and P500'd as a pack, and are good as well.

Imperial Rome (#4) is probably pretty easily a second-tier buy. Epic (#5) isn't worth it unless you have additional sets, as not many of the battles can be waged with just the base set. Spartans (#6) I own but haven't played, but it's probably fair to say that it's only a truly solid buy if you have Greece and the Eastern Kingdoms since it reworks some of those battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every expansion adds about the same amount of stuff, although a fair bit of that stuff in #3 and #4 is more Romans. Also, there is, in general, an assumption in most expansions that you have the earlier expansions, so you might not be able to use everything. Usually, you can use at least some of each expansion without the others, but this chart helps:

So, expansion 1 and/or 2 are a good next step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buying them in order will make them all instantly playable, which helps you feel like the investment is well worth it.

IMO, #1 is indispensable in any case. #4 without #2 and #3 is a significant disappointment (due to unplayable battles, not due to the quality).

That said, plan to pay a hefty sum for Exp 2 and 3 if you can find them. They've been "any day now" reprints for who knows how long, and are pretty rare finds elsewhere. Would love to have them myself, but US$120 a pop is a sight more than I'm willing to pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd get the base set and expansion 5 (epic) with an extra board.

The base set has plenty of good battles to re-create. And with Expansion 5, there will be at least 1 "epic" battle available to you as well (two boards, tons of pieces).

The reason I'd go with Expansion 5 next is b/c it changes the game more than any additional expansion will. The other expansions are basically more of the same. (Which is a good thing since the game is great!) But with Expansion 5, the game really is much more massive, and a bit of a different experience.

If you then move on to Expansion 1, not only will you have another set of great battles, but you'll now also have the units needed to play about 2-4 additional epic battles with Expansion 5. As add you add additional expansions to your collection, you will unlock even more battles from Expansion 5.

So, I'd recommend:

(1) Base Game
(2) Expansion 5 + extra board
(3) Expansion 1
(4) and then the other expansions in order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm figuring the Exp 2 & 3 bundle will be out this summer in July.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt G
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get #1 then you should pick up #6 as well. Although the blocks are mostly chrome, the scenarios in six have more variety to them compared to #1 and are fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
Brazil
Interior de São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:

if you are going after Expansion 5, have a good luck finding it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tequila_j wrote:
Professor X wrote:

if you are going after Expansion 5, have a good luck finding it

(I don't own it nor have I read the rules or played it but from various threads I have gleaned: )

My understanding of Epic is that it is really designed to be played by three sector commands and an overall commander meaning four people on each side (for a total of eight players). Six I believe makes one of the area commanders also the army commander. Four becomes kind of an awkward shoehorn.

I think it would be helpful if someone who is knowledgeable could post information on Epic (Charles?). (Apologies if this actually exists! As I said my information is out of threads I have read.)

blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rules_heretic wrote:

My understanding of Epic is that it is really designed to be played by three sector commands and an overall commander meaning four people on each side (for a total of eight players). Six I believe makes one of the area commanders also the army commander. Four becomes kind of an awkward shoehorn.

I think it would be helpful if someone who is knowledgeable could post information on Epic (Charles?). (Apologies if this actually exists! As I said my information is out of threads I have read.)

blush

If taking all social aspects out of playing the game, I feel that Epic plays best as 1 v 1. I have a good time playing with any number of players, 2-8, and most of the mulitple player games I have played have involved some shuffling in and out of players (a player commanding a particular section for about 30 minutes, needing to leave, and having that section either taken by one of the other players on that side or a new player joining in).

I can't speak to availability, and not sure how one would feel about using proxies for some to a lot of the blocks required from other expansions for the scenarios, but I endorse Professor X's suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything but epic...and Im not joking. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Epic plays fantastically one-on-one and is a more challenging format for the game than the single board. For every day play I actually prefer the single board game for quick, streamlined accessibility but Epic is a great step up in one-on-one play when you're looking for a meatier experience. I can highly recommend playing it in this format.

The multiplayer Epic experience is entirely different (for me)…..chaotic and occasionally frustrating (due to loss of perfect control) but a highly entertaining social game…..it's also a great way to introduce and teach new players.

Once you have Expansion 1, I would suggest that Expansion 5 is an excellent option……although I wasn't aware that it was now sold out……P500 (hopefully with second mounted map included) can't be far away .

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
islanddoc wrote:
I recently bought and am loving C&C Ancients. I am a old time Memoir 44 player with all(almost) of the expansions. What are the Essential Expansions for C&C or at least best ones?

Any help would be appreciated...

I too came to C&C:A from Memoir (and since went on to C&C:N too) and I can honestly say - buy everything you can! The fact that some exapnsions are hard to get proves that it's popular for a reason -
the replayability is excellent in all C&C formats, zero-risk purchases.

Keep looking, shopping and playing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.