• [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any game can be played solitaire, it is just not always the same experience. This is a block game, and so much of the enemy information is hidden from your view (during normal play). What you can see is the back of enemy blocks, so you only low where the enemy units are rather than what or how strong they are.

Having said that, solo is a great way to learn the rules and you can plan some strategies as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Richards
Australia
Mittagong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I play most games solo, mainly because I have no friends...

It makes for similar yet different game play, as while there is no fog of war, the decisions you make are by no means ruined by this as you can see the strength and have to decide to attack or retreat, to take a risk etc.

I actually in many of CG titles have come to enjoy the non fog or war more than the fog of war. It can make the games a lot more strategic in thought. In reality fog of war is a very misused term. Banners, and flags, and generals on hill were there to remove this fog that has crept into gaming. IMHO I feel that fog of war as we term it in block games, is largely a misnomer and a creation of board gaming. From small battles to major wars, overall there are only small instances of fog of war as we term it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Richards
Australia
Mittagong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You do lose bluffing ie having several low powered blocks making the opposition uncertain, but it doesn't IMO erode the excitement, just changes the tactics slightly so that each move is a considered move or considered risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the reply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shaynerichards72 wrote:
In reality fog of war is a very misused term. Banners, and flags, and generals on hill were there to remove this fog that has crept into gaming. IMHO I feel that fog of war as we term it in block games, is largely a misnomer and a creation of board gaming. From small battles to major wars, overall there are only small instances of fog of war as we term it.

Surely you are joking.

First, I guess banners and flags were not used historically to remove the FoW in games.

But that aside, especially in the WWII PTO, FoW meaning the lack of knowledge of the enemies position and intension, played a huge role. Or you are considering FoW to mean something entirely different?

I would consider e.g. the Attack on Pearl Harbour, the Battle of Midway, and the conquests of Singapore and the Phillipines to be excellent examples of just that - possible some of the most famous in conflict history. Flags and banners on hilltops were not used in the battles, in order to avoid FoW...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I have gone ahead and ordered the game as several people say it plays fine and is fun solitaire. I think that I will be the Japanese as I hear they have an uphill battle in the game anyway, so this should balance out the lack of the unknown (fog of war), at least I hope, LOL. Anybody play it solitaire have any friendly tips for play? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.