Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok .. so ..

I picked up a 1st edition box version of this game from a thrift store as the price was just too good ...

I'm not normally into war games but the back of the box (and the price) grabbed my attention.

I'm wondering if anyone familiar with the game could help me out by pointing me in the direction of somewhere that can introduce me gently to this game?

Also ...

I have quite a bit in the box .. But I'm not sure where it all belongs!

So for example... btw, it's definately the 1st edition box by Matrix games.

But inside I have a rule book that states 'Version 2 (V2) Rules of Play' on the cover. Is this a good thing?

Also, I have 16 scenario sheets, and 16 (Skill) cards.

I have 6 boards in one style, (numbered 13-18)
and 3 boards in a slightly different style (19-21)
I have 3 additional pieces of terrain/buildings (marked x, y, and z)
and a bag full of mixed tiles/chits of three different sizes:

669 small chits representing infantry/weapons etc
27 medium representing mortars/arty etc, and
48 large representing vehicles

There's also a cardboard folder, containing extra scenarios from the eastern front (the Not One Step Back) expansion

The numbering and lettering on the boards and terrain pieces seems a bit irregular?
(Why no 1-12 boards .. or A-W terrain pieces)?

Finally, if anyone can help point me in the direction of a useful guide to getting started that would be really appreciated

Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Holen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
As I posted in the other thread, I've got a blog here on BGG covering some of my first few games of LnL plus some preview/playtest coverage of Heroes of the Pacific.

You can find it here: http://boardgamegeek.com/blog/2133/learning-lock-n-load

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Petters
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it looks like you have both Band of Heroes and the "not one step back" expansion, which you probably already know. Altho, i'm not sure NOSB is playable without Swift and Bold expansion, which i think is out of print

Maps 1-12 are in earlier games in the series (Forgotten Heroes/Anzac Attacks/Ring of Hills - I think)

As for walkthroughs and help, there are also some very useful player aids here that can help keep the rules straight. And the group here is also very helpful and will quickly answer questions!

Dean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Ferrari
United States
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim,

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to LnL.

Looks like you may have hit the jackpot and also received the NOSB expansion as well. Boards 19,20, and 21 are from NOSB, as well as the building overlays (w,x,y, and z). Boards 1-12 are from other modules (Forgotten heroes, ANZAC, and Ring of Hills). I believe the overlay numbering started with w, x, y, and z (I may be wrong with this one).

I think the V2 rules came with the Matrix Edition of BoH, with the the First Edition Rules being in Forgotten Heroes. The current set of rules are V3, with the new V4 rules soon to be released with Heroes of the Pacific. Nothing Major had changed from V1 thru V3, so no worries there.

To get started I would stick with a basic infantry only scenario, which if I remember correctly, Carentan will fit the bill. You should only need to read the rules sections up to and including Section 13 to be able to play Carentan.

And don't be afraid to ask questions here on BGG. There are many great and knowledgable LnL players on BGG that would be happy to answer questions and help. Not sure if you are familiar with VASSAL, but it is a great way to be able to play LnL live across the internet, or even via Play by Email. Once you get into things, I would be willing to get you started learning LnL with a Play by Email game. I can step you through your first scenario to get you up and running.

It takes a while to get things under your belt, but the effort is worth it. LnL is a great and flexible system that includes battles from WWII up to and including Somalia to this point in time.

Ralph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Ferrari
United States
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One other thing that may be useful is the example of play I posted a few years ago for the BoH scenario "Ewells Charge". I put it together as I was learning LnL myself, so there are a few errors in it, but nothing major.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/68920/lnl-ewells-charge-ex...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
JimBGG wrote:
Ok .. so ..

I picked up a 1st edition box version of this game from a thrift store as the price was just too good ...

I'm not normally into war games but the back of the box (and the price) grabbed my attention.

I'm wondering if anyone familiar with the game could help me out by pointing me in the direction of somewhere that can introduce me gently to this game?

Also ...

I have quite a bit in the box .. But I'm not sure where it all belongs!

So for example... btw, it's definately the 1st edition box by Matrix games.

But inside I have a rule book that states 'Version 2 (V2) Rules of Play' on the cover. Is this a good thing?

Also, I have 16 scenario sheets, and 16 (Skill) cards.

I have 6 boards in one style, (numbered 13-18)
and 3 boards in a slightly different style (19-21)
I have 3 additional pieces of terrain/buildings (marked x, y, and z)
and a bag full of mixed tiles/chits of three different sizes:

669 small chits representing infantry/weapons etc
27 medium representing mortars/arty etc, and
48 large representing vehicles

There's also a cardboard folder, containing extra scenarios from the eastern front (the Not One Step Back) expansion

The numbering and lettering on the boards and terrain pieces seems a bit irregular?
(Why no 1-12 boards .. or A-W terrain pieces)?

Finally, if anyone can help point me in the direction of a useful guide to getting started that would be really appreciated

Many thanks

Consider also - if you are a vassal player - jump online and play with one of us. 200+ people on the LNL VASSAL Players gang to choose from.
2nd Charles Cabell has a youtube channel with lots of VASSAL based play explaining how to play.
As mentioned above Jonathan has a set of posts that highlight details of play.
So to you can read about how to play in the latest Hero of the Pacific how to play there.
Glad to have you aboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your warm welcome to the forum ..

I'm going to enjoy taking some time this week working through the rules, alongside the links you've suggested above in order to help me get to grips with the game and system.

I really appreciate everyones replies ... although I'm not on vassal, maybe eventually I'll get onto that, but primarily I'm just going to try a few of the infantry based scenarios and enjoy working on that.

Incidentally ... are the scenarios supposed to be played in any order (presumably according to their historical standing) ?

Now to go and organise those chits, (all 669 of them!)

Oh, one other question I DO have at this stage ...

Will I find any problems using the V2 rulebook with 1st Edition pieces at all? Or even using the V3 download rules with the 1st Edition box ?

Cheers

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimBGG wrote:
Thanks everyone for your warm welcome to the forum ..

I'm going to enjoy taking some time this week working through the rules, alongside the links you've suggested above in order to help me get to grips with the game and system.

I really appreciate everyones replies ... although I'm not on vassal, maybe eventually I'll get onto that, but primarily I'm just going to try a few of the infantry based scenarios and enjoy working on that.

Incidentally ... are the scenarios supposed to be played in any order (presumably according to their historical standing) ?

Now to go and organise those chits, (all 669 of them!)

Oh, one other question I DO have at this stage ...

Will I find any problems using the V2 rulebook with 1st Edition pieces at all? Or even using the V3 download rules with the 1st Edition box ?

Cheers

Jim

Have fun Jim, it really is a fun system, very thematic and story generating.

No particular order to the scenarios other than historical date wise. Play some of the US vs German infantry scenarios first as there are fewer special rules for the troops involved.

And no you will have no problems with the rules versions you have. The 1st Ed. of BoH came with the 2nd. Ed. rules. The 3rd Ed rules just clarify some stuff, but if you have the download of those then use'em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Use the V3 rules if you can get them.
No order for scenario usually. If there is it is noted in the Scenarios as a mini campaign.

Start small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
No order for scenario usually. If there is it is noted in the Scenarios as a mini campaign.

Start small.

Yeah.... that's what I said....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Barthheart wrote:
hipshot wrote:

Start small.

Yeah.... that's what I said....

SHUT UP!!!!goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.