Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edgar Rubio Rodilla
Spain
Aldaia
Valencia
flag msg tools
Hi All.

In MCR we have the implication rule, where you can't score a fan that is implied by another fan. For instance, you can't score the two individual dragon pung with the fan Three Small Dragons.

In cases where a fan is implied only when two other fans are combined, you can score all three, because the rule only applies to individual fans. For instance, the combination of All Green and Full flush is always All simples, but you can score all three, because neither All Green and Full flush alone implies All simples.

So far, all is good and clear. But now, I've reach to two odd exceptions, listed in the official (although unpublished) "Explanation of Mahjong Competition Rules" by the WMCC, and pointed out by Beyond The Green Book:

- Seven pairs and All terminals can't score Tile Hog.
- Seven pairs and All Green can't score Tile Hog.

In the two exceptions, the case is the same: you can't score Seven Pairs and All Terminals or All Green without being forced to repeat a pair and, thus, having a Tile Hog. But neither Seven Pairs and All Terminal or All Green alone implies that, so I can't see why this should be an exception to the case of All Green, Full flush and All simples.

Are there any update to this matter? A further explanation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[potboiler] teamjsa
South Korea
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good Point. I was very unhappy with those items(exception). cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This (the exception list) is a direct consequence of the principles and the crazy scoring patterns. The other way to fix it is to remove the exceptions and allow the extra 2 points.

As long as the exceptions are unpublished, what are the players supposed to do?

(Personally, I play Zung Jung and happily avoid the issue.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The MCR "Implication Rule" is actually an inaccurate rendering of the Zung Jung "Additive Rule" (series), the latter being the original rule and concept in Classical mahjong. The former may sound neat to the unknowing, but is actually a can of worms.

Japanese Riichi, which is still kindof conservative in some ways, actually uses the same rule as Zung Jung.

http://www2.odn.ne.jp/~cbm15900/html/y6.html
http://www2.odn.ne.jp/~cbm15900/html/y3-1.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.