Hide
6 Posts

Quantum» Forums » Variants

Subject: Making the Ending More Epic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben
msg tools
I've played the game a few times having gotten it last week and love it! The only thing that bothers me sometimes is how "meh" the last turn can be despite the epic lead up. When someone just moves a ship and places their last cube it can be a bit underwhelming.

I was trying to think of some variants that could make the game's end a bit more tense. Perhaps adding a timing mechanic so the game ends after a certain number of turns, winner being whoever can place the most cubes before then.

Adding the ability to destroy cubes, as mentioned, seems to go against the elegant simplicity of the game. However I would like to see some final hurdle the leading player has to clear to make things a bit more interesting.

On the plus side, the game is just the right length for you to easily squeeze in a few play throughs so maybe the solution is just play again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raph Moimoi
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about one thing : the last Quantum cube could need 3 actions to be laid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vandeweyer
Belgium
Haaltert
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
primus202 wrote:
I've played the game a few times having gotten it last week and love it! The only thing that bothers me sometimes is how "meh" the last turn can be despite the epic lead up. When someone just moves a ship and places their last cube it can be a bit underwhelming.

Actually, when you get more experienced with this game you start paying more attention to the possibilities of the other players. In fact, it should be clear at every start of someone's turn whether or not he can place a cube. This game doesn't have any secret cards to reveal. Everyone knows everyone's special abilities from their dice and their advance cards, so the only real surprise in this game is the puzzle that someone is able to make with his abilities to place that final cube, when you didn't see it

So pay attention at all times to the abilities of other players and try to prevent them from placing the final cube. The real excitement lies in the question: will he somehow be able to place his cube, even after I got in his way?

That's the true epicness of Quantum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
msg tools
Very true. Last game was a surprise ending because of the ability allowing diagonal ships to count towards a planet's settlement. It's the classic "The only life point that matters is the difference between 1 and 0" argument. Can't wait to play more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Smith
United States
Alpharetta
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with you 100%, especially when you play the "+2 to Dominance" card to get 6 dominance and win the game, very underwhelming. I have found, though, that most games at least are close, like if the other player had one more turn, they could have won as well, which leads to the the "Let's play again" effect.

I think the underwhelming ending is especially a problem in 2 player games, in a three or four player game you can say "Allright, Red is going to win unless we stop him, everyone gang up on him!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyler Swank
United States
Dubuque
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vgfnjs wrote:
"Allright, Red is going to win unless we stop him, everyone gang up on him!"

This declaration is what I live for! Adds so much tension and thrill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.