Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Maciel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
“This is the account of the misfortune of two stranded adventurers. We sought fame coming here, for we wanted to be counted among the brave and the bold. However, before we began, we found ourselves in the midst of a thunderstorm that sank our ship, and our dreams with it. This is our third day in this forsaken island and I must start this account with our arrival two days ago.

Known locations of the island at their arrival.

1st Day

It was the morning after the storm and we woke up in the middle of the woods. The storm was such that we were sent up the river and deep into the jungle. There was a strange fellow staring at us waiting for us to awake from our unconsciousness. As we came to our senses, he pointed to the smoking volcano behind us. That was it, we found our island. However, instead of the conquistadors we desired to be, we were lost and had no means to flee the island that now betrayed us. The scared fellow looked native but he must have been left behind in that deserted place as he seemed to hope that we would cooperate in order to flee our shared doom. We bonded instantly and named him Friday, for it was the day everything began.

We planned our actions carefully: we would explore the island, around the volcano, in order to find the fastest route back to the shore. Getting there we would need to craft a boat. We were set and determined to turn our fate around. We hadn’t much food and Friday volunteered to gather some as he knew the jungle better. My companion and I decided to split and find the better way around the volcano. I was confident of my exploration skills. He, however, was simply the cook of our expedition, but we had no other way to settle it.

During my careful reconnaissance I found plains that were recently wasted by a fire that was likely set by the ash falling from the volcano. In those plains I also found a journal of a past adventurer along with a torch. I was surprised as we had never heard of recent expeditions to this island and their fate had a deep impact in my hopes.

As I got back to our temporary camp, I discovered that the cook, following the river, was able to find what seemed to be the shortest path to the beach. The river would also help us draw a simple map to guide us. He also found much wood and provisions that became redundant since Friday was able to gather some as well. The cook also found an old rope inside a rotting hut. Not only there were recent expeditions but people tried to settle here as well.

At the end of the day we ate what we could, leaving the rest of the meat to inevitably rot overnight. We moved our camp closer to the shore and slept in the open, with no shelter to guard us.

2nd Day

We woke up with roars in the jungle and got up to find part of the island already covered by a mist of ash. The smoke coming from the volcano was thicker and we knew we needed to haste. We had to explore faster and the cook decided craft the map. He used some tools that were left from the wreckage and the map came along nicely. After finishing that task still early in the day, he tried to craft a rope ladder in order to help us explore the ruins we should find along the way. He was successful but not before hurting his head in the process. The cut was bad and prone to infection.

I started my morning crafting a bow. We would need protection and a means to gather food more efficiently. The bow came up pretty easily and I went exploring the island with Friday by my side. We found a small temple in the hills, but we couldn’t explore it before dusk. We also killed a small animal along the way, getting some food and fur as reward, and found old clothes that could help us during cold nights. However, a bad fall and a viper bite got me injured. The fall hurt me instantly, but I knew the viper’s poison would have a late effect.

Back to the camp we ate together and moved the camp again. Hope was building up despite us sleeping with the clouded skies as our only roof.

3rd Day

Today morning we were hit by a cold weather. That was bearable under the sun, but it certainly would get much worse by night. The cook decided to stay at the camp crafting the whole day. Before noon he tried to cook us something that could be used as a cure. His injury in the head and the poison running through my veins would need some powerful medicine. However, he was not able to produce anything helpful with what he could find around. In the process he also hurt himself and found a predator in the jungle. He fought bravely with the beast and was able to overcome it with the knife I left behind. Despite getting hurt, he was able to get food and fur out of the deceased animal. After noon he went for the quieter task of making us a diary with the fur gathered yesterday. The diary you now read proves him successful.

I went exploring the small temple we found yesterday with the ladder crafted by my friend. The finding was amazing as I stepped into a room full of furs on the walls. In that room I found a working compass left behind that should prove useful in the future. However, I was bit by something small that fled before I could define what it was. I left the place immediately. In the afternoon I explored the land once again but was not able to get far. The jungle was thick and I hurt myself in thorns that cut through my flesh, forcing my retreat. I would need to find another way.

At our meeting place we found Friday with the spoils of a successful hunt. He went after the source of the roars that awoke us yesterday. The clothes I had found helped us with the cold night, but we still had to spend some food and wood to keep us healthy during the bad weather. We still had no shelter, but no plans to build one as well. We were fleeing and there was not time for settling anywhere. Today I finish my writings not knowing what comes next. If you find this diary, we must have fallen prey into the claws of a deadly beast or victims to an old trap.

Robinson Crusoe
February 26th, 1659

A day of a little exploration and much crafting.

4th Day

Here we are still, but not all of us. It has been three days since I last wrote here but I need to give account of what happened so far and an excuse for not writing. Therefore, I must start again two days ago. We woke up to the sound of a powerful thunder, but instead of dark clouds, we found the island itself roaring violently. There was lava being spilt by the awakened volcano and it covered already a portion of the higher ground. We were lucky to have left that place and we should hasten more than ever.

I went exploring the whole day as I tried to cover as much of the island as I could. The morning was peaceful as I discovered more plains and some herbs I was sure we would be able to turn into a healing medicine if only we had a pot to cook it. I also spotted a ruined village that I would gladly visit again if given the opportunity. However peaceful the morning was, I was able to hurt myself in the journey again as I found some dangerous animals hunting nearby. I was feeling confident and went exploring again in the afternoon. More plain ground but this time with a dense vegetation. It yielded good rewards as I found weapons for both offensive and defensive purposes but the thick woods had me lost. I could not find my way back to the camp and had to spend the time alone and vulnerable in the jungle. That was the reason for not writing then.

The day began quiet for my companions as the cook arranged our camp. Actually, our inventory. It was a mess for we were moving every day and some organization would be good for our morale. However, he and the cook decided to hunt in the afternoon. They picked up the knife and the bow and went looking for a beast to be slain. Alas! for our friend Friday met his end at the jaws of an alligator. The bow was no match for such a beast and the cook was able to get whatever was left of it, along with the knife, and run back to the camp. As we met again, he could barely give me an account of the events as he tried to cope with the burden of such memories. We had to eat some biscuits we had left from the wreckage as we rested for another day.

5th Day

Yesterday I woke up feverish as the venom started to affect me. I knew that should be the worst it would cause but I still couldn’t do much during the day. Also, a hurricane passed over us during the night messing with our provisions and sending some of our tools into the jungle nearby. If that wasn’t bad enough, a cold wind was blowing as the omen of a freezing night and the lava was running down the land. Soon it would hit us.

I took my time to explore the ruined village I mentioned before, trying to find useful items. I was not mistaken. I first found a basket containing an old pot. I only had to make a few adjustments to the abandoned utensil to make it useful. I also found an old rapier. We certainly would not try hunting again, but that would make a good defense against some hungry beasts. Lastly I found blankets and the coincidence made me full of joy. We would be able to survive the cold after all! But as I left the ruins I noticed that it was not altogether inhabited. There was a tiger patrolling the area to our camp and I had to spend the night sleeping in the ruins so the beast would not attack me or hunt me down to our camp.

As I learned today, the cook, who also was weak after so many challenges, took his time to gather some food and rest. The resting was good for his health and he was able to survive the weather but was left without enough provisions and that sent him to the boundaries of his strengths.

6th Day

But as we come to today’s account, I must say I’m writing this earlier than usual, for our future is very uncertain.

I arrived early this morning at the camp with the pot so we could cook the herbs I found days ago. It was an easy task and the meal made the cook much better. It was, however, only enough to have him survive what came after. The cut in his head was infected and it made him sick, sending him again to the brink of his life. We could see the lava coming near and the ash covering most of the land. In my journey back to the camp I also noticed that predators were moving nearby and that almost no food was left for us to gather. Our will to survive was strong but our bodies were failing us. We had to appeal to desperate measures. We both went exploring again. With weak and injured bodies, that was not an easy task, even though we had a map and a compass to guide us. However, that was the only way. We needed food but we could not hunt. We needed shelter but we couldn’t build it ourselves. We needed wood to build the simplest of rafts but we could not spend another second cutting trees down. Therefore, we tried against all odds.

In our desperate journey we found mountains. In those mountains we found flint that could have been so useful few days ago. Now it was too late for trying to make a fire. But along with the flint we found a desolate cave that was filled with too much mystery for us to use it as a shelter. In the afternoon I left my sick friend and went, against my body’s counsel, exploring again. There were even more mountains around us but there it was: a natural shelter! A simple cave that could hold both of us and protect us from the night. I went running back to our camp to tell the good news. However, in that camp now I write you.

I write you because our strength is no more. As we look now to the skies, a huge storm is forming. The clouds are dark and thick and we can hear the rain falling violently nearby, approaching us. We cannot make it. We will wait here for the storm to hit, hoping we can survive the night. If we don’t, I hope this small diary that I now put in a flask is washed away from us. We know the shore is not far and perhaps the rain will send this parchment to freedom so our memory will not be lost. We chased our hope, fleeing from what we could see. The volcano was loud and the lava announced its coming every moment. However, if you are reading this, it’s because we’ve succumbed to a much subtler threat. One cannot disregard the power of nature and leave unharmed.

Robinson Crusoe
February 29th, 1659

The final disposition of the island locations. Tiles turned face down were hit by lava and white markers represent the ash covering the land.

I hope this session report transmits a little of how thematic, epic and carefully crafted this game is. Basically nothing was added to the events in this report and almost no detail was left out of it. The game is full of theme and it's easy to get lost in the world that is created during play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic, evocative report. Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Maciel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I was surprised with the result , to be honest, because it started as an exercise in the English language. The game is very thematic when you put it into words and see how everything (with few exceptions) fits perfectly.

EDIT: This post makes more sense if I explain that my Canadian flag is very recent as I've just moved from Brazil. Pardon my English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.