Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Sammartino
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb

... And how I can currently is only for people with a 3D Printer...

So I just signed up after using this site as a resource for however how long, and figured it's about time I signed up, joined the community, and gave something back!

With that in mind, I set out on my first task:

I have access to a MakerBot here at work, tons of downtime, and a closet full of filament. I decided to work on making my Elder Sign experience more manageable. (I know I'll work on Arkham Horror next, but I wanted to start small...)

So here it is, the organizers I designed and posted to Thingiverse:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:316167

There are a few design ideas that I wanted to accomplish:

1. Everything had to fit back into the original box, and allow the lid to sit flush against the original box, unimpeded.

2. Had to be able to fit the game with all the FFG sleeves.

3. Had to fit the whole game WITH the expansion.

4. Had to fit in the box, after I've lined the box with foam padding and felt cloth to use it as a dice rolling box.

And what you have is what I came up with.

Not only does it fit everything, but it has an expander for one of the card holders because with the expansion and sleeved adventure cards, the stack gets pretty high...

Separate Mythos card holder, because that stack is pretty big too now.

Notches in some of the holders, that line up in such a way to fit the clock.

If you guys have any suggestions to make this better, I'm all ears, and can easily make modifications and change this setup on the fly. But this was the best I could come up with in an afternoon.

I'll have pictures sometime next week. I'm now printing all the pieces in high quality in glow in the dark PLA. Did a test run in low quality just to make sure things fit and it came out pretty good, but flimsy (and printed in neon orange because I was too lazy to swap out the filament).

Based on what you see on Thingiverse and the images, (and excluding decorations like graphics and such), are there any suggestions or pictures you guys have of how you organized everything that I could build CAD designs for to print?

I need to go through all the pictures of how some of you guys organized your game, see how I can implement some of those ideas if they work out better in some way.

EDIT: Figured this whole post is borderline useless without some type of reference picture, so added a picture of how everything should look and be oriented. It all fits in the original box with a couple mm of wiggle room between each component... even more so if you don't have your box padded. I'll add more pictures when it's all done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Reaser
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool. This makes me want to commit sometime soon to getting a 3D-printer.

Will you take some pictures of the finished inserts in the box once you've polished them up? EDIT: I just saw YOUR edit. Good deal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Sammartino
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here are a couple pictures.

One is an idea of what I'm talking about with regards to how I did the box. First is a layer on the bottom and sides of 2mm foam, then a layer of felt. This makes it so dice rolling is contained and not horribly loud.

Second, is the small card holder. Currently printing the holder for mythos cards, dice and investigator tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Reaser
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm terribly jealous right now, I'll have you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo DeFazio
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bloodcinder wrote:
I'm terribly jealous right now, I'll have you know.

What he said

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Looks good in general, and as I just got Elder Sign (and expansion), I'm also looking into storage/sorting options.

Just a quick thought though: the card tray has holes in it, yet it stacks on the token tray.
Since the cards are not full to the top of the tray, don't the tokens slip out when transporting the game in any orientation other than perfectly flat, with no bumps on the way?

My thought was to reverse-fold the insert and put half-ish of the large cards in each side (split as base and expansion?), make two stacks of small cards on one side and have a Plano 3448-60 box for tokens in the other side.
Looks like it will fit perfectly.
Downsides are that you have to sort the cards before play, the cards and diec are stored in bags, and you don't have the fancy dice tray. I think it would work with sleeved cards, too.
None of these downsides bother me, though it's obviously not as elegant as your solution.

Think I'll go check out the photos too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Sammartino
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
I did create a lid for the card tray that I haven't added or printed out. With the sleeves, the cards fit quite snugly but not tight enough to even bow the sleeve. Also because of the texture of the printed surface, the cards tend to slip a lot less.

The cards come out smoothly enough for drawing during play, slide back in easily enough, but because of the spacing and texture, none of the tokens fell into the compartment when I accidentally dropped this box down the stairs.

I still need to finish printing the rest off. Coincidentally enough, one of my coworkers jammed up the extruder on the MakerBot last Friday. Haven't taken the time to clean it out and get it working again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Sammartino
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
I fell off the grid for a while. Just recently moved back to Colorado from Indiana and as well, had a buttload of trouble with the makerbot and ended up rebuilding it several times (thanks MakerCare Warranty!). Redesigned the inserts a tiny bit and really happy with the outcome. All the files to build this are available here:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:316167

Here are the pictures of it completed.

Let me know if you have any questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.