16 Posts

Zombicide» Forums » Variants

Subject: A useful pan. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Fern
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All I want is for a player to actually go searching for a pan, or growl in frustration that they gave that useful pan away at the beginning of the game. I feel bad for the pan getting no love.

So very simply we have made an equipped pan be able to produce 2 noise tokens for every action. Banging on that thing is really loud. It is a small tweak, but it works thematically and can be situationally very useful.

Now, will you discard that pan straight away every time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Leite
Brazil
Campinas / Atibaia
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elheru wrote:

hummmm

YES
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever watch Tangled? A pan makes a great weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Leslie
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elheru wrote:

In some of the games I play, I mix all the pans from the base game and TCM into the search deck to simulate finding junk while searching. Discarded right away, but serves a purpose in the general scheme of the game I'm running.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a game with a child who hadn't grasped the concept of dice being random number generators. He was in the unfortunate situation of being in a room with a zombie and only had a frying pan. Luckily, he rolled a six and killed the zombie. A couple of turns later in the game, he picked up a pistol, but instead of shooting at the zombie in the next zone, he walked into the zone to hit it with the pan. Well, it worked last time!

In answer to your question, yes, I would discard event he noisiest frying pan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Clarke

Ewloe
Flintshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you made the pan required for cooking the canned goods/rice and added an action for cooking that healed a wound it'd make the pan (and the Canned food/rice) more useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Falseemp wrote:
If you made the pan required for cooking the canned goods/rice and added an action for cooking that healed a wound it'd make the pan (and the Canned food/rice) more useful.

I was thinking of this, too - not so much as a rules variant, but as a component of a scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elheru wrote:
All I want is for a player to actually go searching for a pan

Well they can't since pans aren't included in the equipment deck! Unless you house rule it of course.

I keep the pan until I have no room, simply because it's good to discard if you do get bitten. But I'd rather make one noise with a shotgun than two noise with a pain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hardin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
A noisy pan would be awfully useful for a slippery Wanda who wanted to abuse the LoS rules. I'd keep at least one just for that, if nothing else.

In Dead Rising, you can put pans on the stove to heat them up and make them more deadly. You could always try to simulate that- say, if you're on a kitchen tile, you can spend an action to heat up the pan. Heating lasts until you hit a zombie, and heated pans can (hit on 2+ / hit on 5+ and kill fatties / roll three dice / insert power-up here). If nothing else, that second option gives you a starting item other than the fire axe capable of killing fatties.

Taking another cue from Dead Rising, you could also create custom "combo items" using the pan. Combine the Pan + Gasoline to get a flaming pan! Or even better, combine the Pan and the Chainsaw to make the dreaded... PANSAW *dun dun DUUNNNNNNN*! Pansaws take up both hands (so no holding a ranged weapon in the off-hand). Pansaws roll 4 dice and hit on 5+, though they can only kill fatties with a 6+. At the same time, Pansaws can kill two walkers or runners per hit.

Or you could allow pans to be used as shields with one-handed melee weapons (anything that can be dual-wielded). Maybe allow it with some of the two-handed melee weapons, such as the crowbar and katana, but with a penalty (-1 to dice roll). Equipping a pan in your second hand doesn't improve your rolls any, but it gives your character the "tough" skill for free. If your character is already tough, then he becomes double-tough, and can ignore two wounds a round.

You can allow pans to be used as catapults. If you have a pan equipped, you can throw any item in your reserve up to 2 or 3 spaces. Use it to launch weapons at distant zombies! Ranged weapons / miscellaneous items would act like a pan (1 die, hits on 6+), which would at least give you a use for canned food. Melee weapons would act normally except for the fact that they follow ranged targeting priorities- so don't turn on a chainsaw and launch it into a square filled with survivors and expect that nobody is going to lose a limb. Items remain on the square where they land, and when they're on the same square, survivors can expend an action to pick the item back up. The catapult-pan would be pretty dang sweet when paired with a molotov...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some Sort wrote:

You can allow pans to be used as catapults. If you have a pan equipped, you can throw any item in your reserve up to 2 or 3 spaces.

A frying pan would then have a better range than smg's or shotguns! It's a bird, it's a plane... no it's something thrown by a frying pan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hardin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
That was by design. If it had a range of 1, there'd be little reason to catapult something instead of just firing a gun.

If you want to look at it thematically, I think the problem that needs to be explained isn't why a Pan-Catapult could travel two zones, it's why bullets from a gun could not. Looking at the size of the board, I think I could easily launch something the equivalent of two zones away. I suppose the best explanation would be that things hurled from a pan can arc over any obstructions in intervening zones, while bullets travel in a straight line. You could also go with an accuracy explanation. In my mind, each gun attack represents firing many bullets, only some of which will actually hit a vulnerable structure and cause a wound. At longer distances, those vulnerable points become relatively smaller and impossible to hit. With a chainsaw, however, the vulnerable points are much, much larger. For instance, to kill a zombie with a pistol, you'd pretty much need to hit it right at the base of its skull and sever its brain stem. To kill (or incapacitate) it with a chainsaw, you could hit it pretty much anywhere in the head/neck area, or perhaps somewhere around the torso if you can sever it cleanly through. A bigger target would be hittable at a greater distance.

Of course, this fails to address how exactly one would go about launching a chainsaw (that was running!) from a frying pan in the first place. It seems like the type of maneuver that would be far more likely to result in the death of a survivor than a zombie...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Fern
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is true that I may have not strictly followed the rules. My search deck has everything in it. Since we now equip with nightsticks and the like, all the pans are in the search deck to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teskal Flink
Germany
flag msg tools
Some other ideas on the pan:
1.: The user of the pan can be Loud once(same as the skill) while hitting walls and floor, discard the damaged pan after it. The pan cannot be in reserve while doing it!
2.: "One of your Ancestors must have been a cook". You can hit once so hard that you will kill a zombie without using the dice. Discard the pan after it. The pan cannot be in reserve while doing it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Killing a zombie with the frying pan gives you no experience point."
Now you have something you'll keep just in case you should kill a zombie but you're one XP left from next danger level.

And thematically, well, you don't become any better when you hit a zombie with a frying pan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think killing a zombie with a frying pan should give you extra experience points because it is hard to do.

"I think I'm getting the 'ang of this," - Sam Gamgee, Fellowship of the Ring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
I think killing a zombie with a frying pan should give you extra experience points because it is hard to do.

It's a bit like "something rare is expensive". "Cheap diamonds are rare"
Cheap diamonds are expensive.

Something hard to do is not always interesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.