15 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dual wielding 2 one-hand weapons. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last time we played we ran into the option to dual wield one-hand weapons. However we didn't know what the benefit is. I'm pretty sure you can'T add the power dies of each weapon and I'm not even sure you can use those weapon just as more options to spend surges within one attack.

But what are the benefits of holding 2 1-handed weapons then?

Does the hand restriction prevent you from just carrying more than 2 hands worth of weapons with you (you can only choose which weapon to use if you have 2 one-hand weapons)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Needs more game time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Dual weilding 2 one-hand weapons.
Right, Dual wielding just gives you move options when in combat. When you make an attack, you simply choose which weapon you are using and you can only apply effects and spend surges from that weapon. I think one of the new classes is more duel wield focused.

Also, you can carry multiple weapons of different requirements. At the start of each turn, you choose which equipment you are using for that round(and this is the stuff you will be using until the start of your next turn). My treasure hunter currently carries three weapons, but I have to make the decision each turn, what I want to use, based on my situation. There are times, midway through a turn that I really wish I had something else equipped. But, that's the point, making a decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some warrior classes have special abilities if the warrior has 2 weapons. The new Skirmisher class from Nerekhall is specifically all about this.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
msg tools
mb
shnar wrote:
Some warrior classes have special abilities if the warrior has 2 weapons. The new Skirmisher class from Nerekhall is specifically all about this.

-shnar

I think he has two skills that reference it, including his basic skill. One of the things I found most disappointing in the overall disappointing Nerekhall expansion.

Of course, the class is still pretty nuts, with 2 of the best 3-cost skills in the game, so who cares about theme :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Larsson
Sweden
Lomma
Skåne
flag msg tools
amoshias wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

I think he has two skills that reference it, including his basic skill. One of the things I found most disappointing in the overall disappointing Nerekhall expansion.

Of course, the class is still pretty nuts, with 2 of the best 3-cost skills in the game, so who cares about theme :-)

Yeah, one player of mine immediately figured out a way to reliably move 14 steps on a turn and attack every monster moved through with an attack that never misses. With Eliam, these attacks all produce an extra damage to another monster adjacent to eliam too, so with some careful positioning that should equate to a good amount of damage as well. Especially considering that you could move 7 in one direction, hitting everything once, and then 7 back to the safety of the group for a second round of hits.

This combo immediately made me as an OL a profusely sad panda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fulton
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
AshesFall wrote:

Yeah, one player of mine immediately figured out a way to reliably move 14 steps on a turn and attack every monster moved through with an attack that never misses. With Eliam, these attacks all produce an extra damage to another monster adjacent to eliam too, so with some careful positioning that should equate to a good amount of damage as well. Especially considering that you could move 7 in one direction, hitting everything once, and then 7 back to the safety of the group for a second round of hits.

Its a pretty bruital combo, but they need at least 5-8xp (cough... yeah not much) to do it. But some of those things require a lot of help from the others in the group, and specific gear... But yeeeeah... that's seriously a brutal combo, that I sure can't wait my skirmisher to bring forth a little later in our campaign. Given that I was the OL in our last one, I'll have some sympathy for him. Abusing something like that can make the game a lot less fun, as the game tends to be at its most fun when its close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Larsson
Sweden
Lomma
Skåne
flag msg tools
Quote:
Its a pretty bruital combo, but they need at least 5-8xp (cough... yeah not much) to do it. But some of those things require a lot of help from the others in the group, and specific gear... But yeeeeah... that's seriously a brutal combo, that I sure can't wait my skirmisher to bring forth a little later in our campaign. Given that I was the OL in our last one, I'll have some sympathy for him. Abusing something like that can make the game a lot less fun, as the game tends to be at its most fun when its close.

The really sad part is it just needs the 6 xp, so at the very latest it starts after the first act II quest. If there are quests with additional xp rewards it's earlier. The only thing it really needs aside from that is the elven boots (act I item always available to buy after the interlude) and a good one handed melee weapon.

Have fun, do tell me exactly how nasty this was in practice when you do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar

I only have the base game and noticed that the Berserker class has a skill called Weapon Mastery. It reads: "Each time you perform an attack with either 1 melee weapon with 2 hand icons or 2 melee weapons with 1 hand icon each, you may exhaust this card to add 1 surge to the result."

So what is the actual benefit from this? When attacking you can choose which weapon you use for the surges after you have thrown? And how you attack if the weapons have different attack dice?

My interpretion is that you have to choose before attack which weapon you use. And that also dictates what surges you can use. So there isn't really any benefit for using 2 weapons (unless you count this skill that adds one surge).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
Your interpretation is in agreement with the rulebook.
First step of attack: Choose which weapon you are using.

Other benefits of using two weapons: One-hand range weapon, one more powerful melee weapon. Or one Leather whip (Treasure Hunter) to move your target closer so you can hit them with a blue-red sword in the other hand.

In terms of rules alone, there is little benefit to using two weapons compared to one, indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
foxreinard wrote:

Other benefits of using two weapons: One-hand range weapon, one more powerful melee weapon. Or one Leather whip (Treasure Hunter) to move your target closer so you can hit them with a blue-red sword in the other hand.

In terms of rules alone, there is little benefit to using two weapons compared to one, indeed.

Oh..
I never though of wielding a melee and a ranged weapon at the same time. There is probably the benefit (although all ranged weapons I can think of are two handed weapons). Also when doing that you don't get any benefit from Weapon Mastery.
Anyway - thank you for sorting this out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Kostin
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jutuomin wrote:
foxreinard wrote:

Oh..
I never though of wielding a melee and a ranged weapon at the same time. There is probably the benefit (although all ranged weapons I can think of are two handed weapons). Also when doing that you don't get any benefit from Weapon Mastery.
Anyway - thank you for sorting this out.

Crossbow is one-handed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silidus
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
AshesFall wrote:

Old comment, but just for completion sake, you can't actually do this. The "carve a path" skill specifically allows you to move up to your speed +1 squares (ignoring terrain such as water). You can not spend fatigue to gain more movement, or any other effect to add movement points, the attack can not be interrupted by another action (such as a move) etc. Once you have completed the path, you perform a single attack that affects all the squares moved through.

With Eliams ability, the extra heart damage would only apply to the mobs not affected by the original carve a path, that are adjacent to Eliams final position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Tang
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But why can't you do it twice? You don't exhaust Carve a Path. By default you get Speed 6 with this Skill and there are items that can give you +1 Speed. So why is it inconceivable to go through 7 spaces on 1st action then 7 spaces on 2nd action for a total of 14?

I think you are seeing something that I don't and I would like to learn from it. I thought it was Stamina at first, but then I notice that Unstoppable gives a +1 Stamina, totaling 6, allowing player to use 3 for each Carve a Path.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kal91a wrote:
But why can't you do it twice? You don't exhaust Carve a Path. By default you get Speed 6 with this Skill and there are items that can give you +1 Speed. So why is it inconceivable to go through 7 spaces on 1st action then 7 spaces on 2nd action for a total of 14?

I think you are seeing something that I don't and I would like to learn from it. I thought it was Stamina at first, but then I notice that Unstoppable gives a +1 Stamina, totaling 6, allowing player to use 3 for each Carve a Path.

6 spaces on each carve x 2 carves (for 12 spaces attacked over 2 actions) is totally doable. In fact, that's part of why I love Orkell as the basic skirmisher- he starts out with 5 speed and 5 fatigue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silidus
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
kal91a wrote:

You are correct, my reading on the above was that he was moving 14 points in 6 speed + fatigue, and performing individual attacks to trigger Eliams ability and gain back fatigue.

My bad, I hadn't considered + speed items.

You absolutely can perform Carve A Path twice in a round as separate actions.

I just wanted to clarify that the attack performed is only done once, I have seen many people interrupting the movement at every square to perform a separate attack action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.