United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently reading the long awaited volume 3 of David Glantz and Jonathan House's Stalingrad trilogy. It appears that volume 3 is going to consist of up to 3 books and there is a companion book to volume 3 Book 1? Is this still a trilogy or is it a serial ?
I'm about halfway through the book and it is very detailed but not as dry as some of Glantzs stuff. I thought the first 2 books were quite good To the Gates of Stalingrad and Armaggedon at Stalingrad.
I have found that the books Glantz teams up with House on are far more readable and Glantzs best work.

So what are you guys reading?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
The Life & Times of Pancho Villa by Friedrich Katz

A magnificent book about a fascinating leader.

The military talents of Pancho Villa are often obscured by his diplomatic stumbles or tactical errors. While this book is not primarily a military history it does illustrate Villa's rise and fall as a commander. Villa was a military innovator -- perhaps it might be more accurate to say that he combined a number of existing but wildly diverse elements into a unique system. His actions during the Celaya campaign in 1915 (Villa's Waterloo, 100 years after the demise of Napoleon) reflect an intuitive grasp of a golden strategic opportunity unraveled by flaws in Villa's personality. Recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjan Schuthof
Netherlands
Zandvoort
flag msg tools
Villa and Zapata: A History of the Mexican Revolution by
Frank McLynn offers a caleidoscopic view on one of the longest revolutions in history. The book is full of crazy twists and turns and unforgettable anecdotes. McLynn proves that he can handle a continuous stream of rollercoaster events extremely well. Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James O'Keefe
Germany
Pressath
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
The Dude Abides
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I don't understand Napoleonic games too well, I am reading Tactics and the Experience of Battle in the Age of Napoleon by Rory Muir. The read so far has been pleasant and informative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just started Mussolini and his Generals, by John Gooch, following the very excellent Fascist Voices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished April's excursion through The Great War in North Africa with a couple of Lettow-Vorbeck histories. On the matter of related games, there is an early S & T edition with a game called Sideshow: The Campaign for German East Africa 1914-1918 that I might try and acquire and give a go...and then there is The Battle of Tanga 1914 on the way later this year.

I have read many Vietnam books over the last few years, but I have been saving one for the right time, and I read We Were Soldiers Once by Hal Moore this past week. It was every bit as good as I expected it to be. Moore managed to capture some of the fear felt by those troops as they lay in elephant grass not knowing if that rustling in the grass just feet away was friend or foe. I thought it was reasonably well balanced as Moore included comments from the leader of the PAVN 66th, 33rd, and 32nd.

So now I am mounting up the double-sided counters (Grrr....) from Vae Victis for Ia Drang, Vietnam 1965. I am also wishing I owned Silver Bayonet: The First Team in Vietnam, 1965. So far, restraint mode is firmly engaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I got this for completeness sake, expecting nothing, but its full of interesting albeit occasionally extraneous points not to be found elsewhere. A downside is the absurd diagram of Norman foot and cavalry marching in lockstep into the Malfosse. Hardback, 158 pages, 8x5 inches, £6 on Amazon, but the 67 illustrations may render the £1.79 Kindle edition unsatisfactory. There's 25 other books in the 'Battle Story' series, color-coded according to century/period:-

http://bit.ly/Sdsszd

...which says it all. Viewing the Senlac site from above I thought it a bit low-lying compared to nearby slopes, such as Telham on which I was standing.

Sir Anthony Robinson
and Time Team place the battle of Hastings 150 yards to the east, whereas Nick Austin says it was at Crowhurst, a few miles south.

which looks very interesting and will probably arrive tomorrow [stand by for update!]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Nagel
Germany
Potsdam
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished

and now read

This is a very interesting Book about the German Air Landings in the Fortress Holland and the Dutch Countermeasures. It was written by a Dutch Author and you get good Accounts from both Sides.

Greetings,
Henning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimp - you're aware of this game, right? Guns of the Askari
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Blitzkrieg Legend by Frieser
The Battle for Stalingrad by Chuikov

Glantz's Stalingrad series is up next, although I will probably start with Erickson's chapters on Case Blue as a refresher.

I'm reading about the Eastern Front from 1941-1945 more or less chronologically, with Erickson as a backbone, and reading other books that may exist for greater depth as I go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb

On the last chapter of this, I am enjoying it, I have the most recent printing and the new introduction by the author explains how looking back he wasnt objective/neutral in his writing and that some things he took for face value he should have pursued further. An honest reflection I feel. The last chapter is about his return to some of the areas visited in the 80's with rise of Osama bin Laden, 9/11, and the US invasion in the early 2000's.

That said I still think it is a good book showing a good perspective of the Mujahideen side of things during the war by someone who took the physical risk to go inside Afghanistan during the Soviet-Afghan War.

I have most of Robert's books that deal with military history and I like his style, looking forward to reading his other titles (Particularly his Balkan Ghosts).

Edit: Just finished it, definitely recommend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Evan Brooks
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I will be touring the Western Front this autumn, concentrating on the 1914-1915 sites. Therefore, I am now reading

and plan to follow it up with

Murray's The Rocky Road to the Great War: The Evolution of Trench Warfare in 1914

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James O'Keefe
Germany
Pressath
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
The Dude Abides
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcology wrote:

Glantz's Stalingrad series is up next, although I will probably start with Erickson's chapters on Case Blue as a refresher.

I'm reading about the Eastern Front from 1941-1945 more or less chronologically, with Erickson as a backbone, and reading other books that may exist for greater depth as I go.

I too have been entertaining a similar reading adventure. Which authors do you have in mind to supplement Erickson?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
eviltediz43 wrote:
Arcology wrote:

I too have been entertaining a similar reading adventure. Which authors do you have in mind to supplement Erickson?

Earl Ziemke Moscow to Stalingrad and Stalingrad to Berlin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Coffey
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have started the 6 volumes of Winston Churchill's Second World War. I managed to find a complete hardbound set published in 1950 for only $50. Eyewitness to Hell is still on the back burner due to its vivid imagery, I really want to finish it sometime soon so I can start to get over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Thomas
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
Space Battleship Yamato, Battlestar Galactica, Dilbert, Douglas Adams, The Tick
badge
Me ees Pearls Before Swine fan, but me no like zeeba neighba.
mbmbmbmbmb
InvisibleRobots wrote:
I finished April's excursion through The Great War in North Africa with a couple of Lettow-Vorbeck histories.

Is his name misspelled in your microbadge, or does it refer to another person?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eviltediz43 wrote:
Arcology wrote:

So far, I've recently read or plan to read:

Operation Barbarossa and Germany's Defeat in the East by Stahel
The Battle for Moscow by Seaton
The Defense of Moscow 1941: The Northern Flank by Radey and Sharp
The Glantz/House Stalingrad series (volumes 1 & 2 for now)
Red Phoenix Rising: The Soviet Air Force in World War II by Hardesty and Grinberg
Black Cross Red Star: The Air War Over the Eastern Front Volume 3 by Bergstrom, Crandall, and Sundlin

I have other books that I've read in the past, but these are the focus for now. A lot of great research has come out in the last 10 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
mbmbmbmbmb
fredthomas wrote:
InvisibleRobots wrote:
I finished April's excursion through The Great War in North Africa with a couple of Lettow-Vorbeck histories.

The name is misspelled! I wrote the BGG user who did the badge, and he said he intended to fix it, but was not keen on going through the whole microbadge approval process again. I would like to see it fixed, but I *think* that it might be poor form for me to initiate the process - rather than the creator.

Lettow-Vorbeck was a pretty incredible guy; not just a brilliant strategist, but a tough old bird. I heard a story from the MB creator that one of his (German) professors grew up living next to L-V. What the professor most remembered was how L-V would throw these incredible tantrums directed at his aging lawn mower; yelling at it and occasionally kicking it! I guess we all have our weak link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zouave wrote:
Jimp - you're aware of this game, right? Guns of the Askari

No, I wasn't Paul. But thank you for bringing it to my attention! It looks like a pretty good game that I need to try. Much obliged. My FLGS keeps copies of back issues of ATO, so I might have it as soon as today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Science doesn't care what you believe in
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Knight's Cross: A Life of Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

I'm attempting to fill in my woeful lack of substantive knowledge about WWII. I have a side interest in WWI's Battles of the Isonzo, and Rommel played a role in several battles in 1917-1918. Once you get past the first chapter, which is mostly political scene-setting and writerly throat-clearing, the book takes off and is a very readable account of Rommel's actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Barnett-Lewis
United States
Hayward
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Continuing my rereading of the WWI classics. Last month was Barbara Tuchman. This month it's Robert K Massie:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hn110 wrote:

I think its in one of the books about Crete, that the recruiting posters haven't changed since the war: Keine Muttersöhnchen in den Fallschirmjägern !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fredthomas wrote:
InvisibleRobots wrote:

Hi Fred -- all fixed now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Allgood
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
I need an 18!
mbmbmbmbmb
evanbrooks wrote:

I will be touring the Western Front this autumn, concentrating on the 1914-1915 sites. Therefore, I am now reading

and plan to follow it up with

Murray's The Rocky Road to the Great War: The Evolution of Trench Warfare in 1914

If you haven't seen "Before Endeavours Fade" by Rose Coombs, you should check it out. It is an excellent tour guide of the battlefields. It is from a British perspective and it concentrates on their sites. I would highly recommend this book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.