Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Loopin' Louie» Forums » General

Subject: Loopin' Chewie: or what to do with extra sets from TRU's 50% off sale... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: DIY [+] um__WOW [+] [View All]
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Just wanted to share a project that I worked on after capitalizing on a Toys R Us 50% off Loopin' Louie sale.

I've been having a blast with FFG's X-wing Miniatures game for a while now and after picking up a second copy of Loopin' Louie for the kids, my friend and I started thinking of things we can do with it. We both liked the idea of flipping the whole concept into a Star Wars theme but the models for X-wing TMG would be too fragile.

My friend found an old Millennium Falcon toy from MacDonalds on eBay for a few bucks and then the whole concept started to take shape:

Once we hit on the idea of the Falcon replacing Louie, it wasn't a big stretch to go with "Loopin' Chewie" and the rest is history.

The conversion was pretty easy as it was mainly taking apart the plastic and spray painting into the color scheme. I ripped off images from the net for the Hangar:

A TIE fighter pic for the "chickens" and colored them black with a permanent sharpie pen:

The Death Star was the hardest but there was a relatively cheap planetarium toy put out a few years ago that I found on Amazon. It was the perfect size and already came in 2 halves. I cut the slit for Chewie to bounce through and fit over the whole assembly. I used a hot glue gun to secure the dome to the rotating assembly and it was ready to go.

I surprised my friends by bringing it out to a game convention and it was a big hit. Hope you enjoy!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if Lucasfilm should sue you or hire you. Brilliant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Really cool mod.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is outstanding!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool!

How heavy is the Millennium Falcon compared to the original biplane?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb

Thanks all!

Eoin Corrigan wrote:
Very cool!

How heavy is the Millennium Falcon compared to the original biplane?

It was heavier so I had to open it up and cut out a lot the plastic and spring works (it was originally some kind of car). It's still a little heavier but it just means that it plays different and you have to use different techniques.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Al-Tahan
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
That is AMAZING!!! Great job man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” -Bukowski
badge
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” -Friedrich Nietzsche
mbmbmbmbmb
This is incredible!! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, this is the coolest redesign I have ever seen. Very, very well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Just Wow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink...
mb
This is insane. Awesome work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Loopin Louie and X-Wing are favorites around here so we must copy this.

My question is this: Anything special you had to do to get the Falcon attached to the boom and to make sure it hit the coins correctly?

For those wanting to do the same, here is the link to ebay items for the Happy meal toy and the Amazon death star link (assuming I found the right ones).

Falcon: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Death Star: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00339P9ME/ref=ox_sc_act_ti...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Yep, those are the extras that you'll need. The Falcon, as is, is too heavy so you'll need to open it up and gut it. Likely you'll need 2 tools for this: a Dremel-type tool to carve out excess plastic and a special triangle screwdriver tip to open it up.

The screwdriver might be hard to find as I couldn't find it at the large big box hardware stores so you can pick them up online like Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Silverhill-Tools-ASDTR1-Triangle-Screw...

Or this guy made his own (which I thought was pretty cool):
http://www.instructables.com/id/Create-a-triangle-screwdrive...

To attach the Falcon to the Boom, I cut off Louie at the wing but left the boom attachment section and spinning screw/wing attached A-frame part. If you zoom in on the close up Falcon pic, you can kind of see where I cut it. I drilled a small hole in the Falcon top and the A-frame connector and screwed the two together. To keep the Falcon from moving around more, I used a bit of hot glue on the sides.

After you attach the falcon to the boom, you'll want to experiment with the weight to get it to feel the way you want. I think my falcon is still likely a little too heavy but I'm still satisfied. You might experiment with not putting back all the screws or cutting out as much of the plastic as possible. To help, I put a little bead of Hot Glue on the front tip of the Falcon to get it to weigh down a little in the front and act as a bumper to knock the TIE fighters a little easier.

Since there are a lot of factor to getting the falcon lined up, I experimentation is the key. Take your time to line it up as best you can and redo as needed. I'll try to put up some additional pics to help out.

The Dremel tool is what I used to cut up the Death Star as well. This will also likely take a few tries so go conservative on the initial cuts. There is likely a much better way to attach it but I used a hot glue gun again. If it breaks off, I might experiment with something more permanent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
space monkey mafia wrote:
After you attach the falcon to the boom, you'll want to experiment with the weight to get it to feel the way you want.

Thanks for the response. I am wondering on this part if it would just be easy to increase the counter weight with washers or something? Or maybe that would weigh down the mechanism too much to rotate at a decent speed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
After you attach the falcon to the boom, you'll want to experiment with the weight to get it to feel the way you want.

Thanks for the response. I am wondering on this part if it would just be easy to increase the counter weight with washers or something? Or maybe that would weigh down the mechanism too much to rotate at a decent speed.

I don't know it a few washers is going to negatively impact the speed, the big Death Star shell is pretty heavy in comparison and I didn't notice a significant change in speed. I have the new version, of course, and have heard it is a weaker motor but it seems to keep up ok.

Regarding ease... I think its just a balance so if its easier to add counter weights then you might want to go that route. The whole system is pretty delicate so you won't need to add very much in the way of counter weight to see meaningful results. I put a sticker over the counter weight circle so if you do the same, you should be able to easily hide thin washers or something in there and cover it up with a sticker.

Regarding the stickers, I printed from an inkjet onto permanent shipping labels. Then I put an adhesive laminate over the stickers and cut them out to size and stuck them on (after painting and sealing the plastic pieces first of course).

Regarding the "chickens," I took the originals and used a permanent black sharpie to color them in then sealed them. The sealant didn't work that well and you can see areas where it interacted with the sharpie but it worked well enough. I used a sharpie initially because I thought it would dry and not mess with the surface of the discs too much. It didn't really dry well so I ended up using the sealant anyway. Probably could have just spray painted them it would have worked just as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sooo... this is actually going to become a real thing.

http://www.nerdist.com/2015/02/exclusive-hasbro-announces-st...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Why reduce it to 3 players I wonder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toy The Hutt
Italy
Ferrara
Ferrara (FE)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

They also removed the under-tail hit option apparently. Not that i'm going to pass on this either way...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

i assume so they can sell an expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

This is a big plus for current Louie owners. We had a 3-way the other night but it was always won by whoever didn't have an opponent on their left. This dedicated 3-player version solves the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
HA! That is awesome. Too bad they reduced it to 3 players but that just means I'll buy two and make it SIX players ;-)

Pretty surreal to see this in the flesh but enough people really liked the mod that I'm glad it's going to be a real product. It honestly should have been done years ago

When making my original, my friend wanted me to get a little Chewbacca figure to mount on the falcon but I didn't have the patience to work out the balance. Glad they did it as it really makes the "Chewie" aspect stand out. Great find, lwdgames!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
darlok wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

i assume so they can sell an expansion

You can't really add on to the pylon they have....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR!
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
HA! That is awesome. Too bad they reduced it to 3 players but that just means I'll buy two and make it SIX players ;-)

Pretty surreal to see this in the flesh but enough people really liked the mod that I'm glad it's going to be a real product. It honestly should have been done years ago

When making my original, my friend wanted me to get a little Chewbacca figure to mount on the falcon but I didn't have the patience to work out the balance. Glad they did it as it really makes the "Chewie" aspect stand out. Great find, lwdgames!

Reports I've read said "2-4 players" so maybe there is an alternative base you can attach for 4? Either way Hasbro should give you a free copy or two! Not that they necessarily took your idea or even saw it, but just for the sheer awesomeness of two people having the same vision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.