John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much more interested in playing the Overlord trying to defeat the heroes that the other way around.

Anyone come up with a variant or some hints to play as the Overlord against the Heroes solo.

I guess you could just play the heroes to the best of their abilities and let the dice fall where they may, so to speak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is. It's called Gears of War: The Board Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol.

I suppose I could just try it, I managed to do quite a bit of Descent 1st ed solo playing from the overlords perspective. But I've got years of double brained solo wargaming to fall back on.

Man I wish I hadn't sold all my 1st ed stuff!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:

Except that's exactly NOT what the OP is asking for. He wants the AI to control the heroes, so that he can control the OL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly can't think of a good way to control the heroes via AI. Quest objectives are so varied and hero/class combinations are so numerous that it seems like an impossible task to me.

Any sort of randomness on the hero side, even for something as simple as turn order, could throw a huge wrench into their ability to be competitive. And if you came up with a basic AI for the heroes to follow, it would be really easy to exploit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
thedacker wrote:

Except that's exactly NOT what the OP is asking for. He wants the AI to control the heroes, so that he can control the OL.

Right. And my point is he won't find it. So for a similar experience, a very smart AI system that controls multiple characters vs. one player in a dungeon-crawl setting, and game play centered around hand management (a la Descent OL), the best recommendation is Gears of War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
thedacker wrote:

Right. And my point is he won't find it. So for a similar experience, a very smart AI system that controls multiple characters vs. one player in a dungeon-crawl setting, and game play centered around hand management (a la Descent OL), the best recommendation is Gears of War.

Galaxy Defenders does the job even better than Gears of War (in my opinion)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Masterchief1 wrote:
thedacker wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
thedacker wrote:

Galaxy Defenders does the job even better than Gears of War (in my opinion)

And Mage Knight + Legions battling Volkare trumps all(IMO). No better solo experience to be had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found Mage Knight to be exceptionally dull.

When I play a fantasy game, i don't want to focus on card management and min-maxing every hand to efficiently solve a puzzle.

Magic Realm is better solo experience by far. But I have played tons of it.

There really isn't any gamebreaking hidden info in games like Descent. The OL always knows what the heroes are capable of and if you are playing the OL then you know what cards you have up your sleeve.

First edition you just played the OL and heroes to the best of their abilities, just like you would in any 2 player wargame soloed.

I think 2nd may even be easier, since the board is all laid out and all Quest book info is open to all.

Lots of people can't play games just by swapping sides and enjoy it. Might be an acquired thing from years of SPI games that i never could find anyone to touch.

I just asked the question to see if anyone had tried any AI for the heroes, but it appears really unnecessary after reading all the various rules booklets.

Even the search function shows where to search, so nothing is actually hidden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got this game last week and am enjoying it a lot.

Super easy to control 4 heroes and play from the overlords viewpoint. No rules changes needed at all.

The elimination if Threat tokens for Overlord card play makes it much easier to handle solo.

Highly recommended. Already thinking of ordering an expansion since the Funagain Games people sent me a coupon!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.