Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Togo Took
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
I have not played Escape but have been wanting to give it a try. What do you think the retail price will be in stores for the big box. I am just wondering if this is a good deal or just a tiny reduced preorder price? If it is not a great deal then I think I will just wait--there are other games that I have an eye on. I emailed Queen retail price question but they have not answered back making me think it will be very close to the $74-80 mark. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cody
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
itll probably run around 80-100 dollars just guessing based on the other queen big box games, however, if you get a combo package with one of the other big box games it is way better deal like 60 dollars per big box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MRSP of Big Boxes is normally 90$. If you buy online you normally get a 20% or so discount (for example, CSI has it on sale for 61$). However, it has been clearly stated that the stretch goals will be sold separately.

No one knows the total price of those...but it will clearly be more than 15$

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
More likely, the reason they have not emailed you back is because they have been very busy running several different KickStarter campaigns at various stages. I think their customer service e-mail account is probably somewhat backed up right now.

As for the price, the Fresco Big Box retail price is supposed to be about $89.99 and it was also available on KickStarter for $70 ($60 for Early Birds). However, it is available from some OLGS for just over $60. I would guess that with the $85 base price of the Escape Big Box KickStarter ($70 with Early Bird/Flash Sales), it will probably retail close to $100 and be available for around $70 from OLGS.

So the current KickStarter price ($74 is still available) might be slightly more than you will be able to get it for from OLGS, but it will have a ton of extras that you would not get in the retail version - the equivalent of at least 5-6 promos that would sell for $5 each at the Geek Store, character stickers, an additional game (Mammut), and whatever else might get unlocked in the next 6 days.

It's a really fun game, especially if you like the potential for ten minutes of chaos. If you don't mind going all in on a game instead of just getting the base game (as well as having to wait until the end of the year instead of getting a base game immediately), this Big Box KickStarter is definitely the way to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It all comes down to if you want the stretch goals. Bought online, the big box will be less expensive than the early bird, but it won't come with any of the stretch goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Roe
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And holy moly, Queen have been crazy generous with the stretch goals. At this point there's almost another expansion's-worth in there, and that's not even considering the addition of Mammut which may or may not be of value to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Bagsværd
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodafowa wrote:
And holy moly, Queen have been crazy generous with the stretch goals. At this point there's almost another expansion's-worth in there, and that's not even considering the addition of Mammut which may or may not be of value to you.

You also get some future Stretch goals from the digital version :)

From Kickstarter update:
"Any analog stretch rewards reached in the digital campaign will be included with your Escape Big Box pledge at no additional cost"

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1016374822/escape-big-b...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Roe
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's a nice gesture, particularly given how they were late offering prior purchasers a chance to get the KS exclusives for this campaign. Artipia did something similar with their two recent Among the Stars-related KS campaigns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Rodafowa wrote:

Let's see...
Mayan Calendar board
9 Room Tiles (including the soon to unlock one and the two additional ones Queen is going to throw in)
8 Curse Tiles
8 Treasure Tiles
4 Character Tiles
and Stickers

That looks like about 7 of the expansion box sized cardboard punch sheets. Quest only came with 5 and I believe Illusions came with 6. Definitely another expansion's worth of extras!

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
That looks like about 7 of the expansion box sized cardboard punch sheets. Quest only came with 5 and I believe Illusions came with 6. Definitely another expansion's worth of extras!cool

I agree.

You'd think all the people complaining about the price of the stretch-goals-only pledge would be re-stating their opposition. And yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
Beaveman wrote:
That looks like about 7 of the expansion box sized cardboard punch sheets. Quest only came with 5 and I believe Illusions came with 6. Definitely another expansion's worth of extras!cool

I agree.

You'd think all the people complaining about the price of the stretch-goals-only pledge would be re-stating their opposition. And yet...

re-state our position that it is still a terrible deal, sure.

It is still a lousy deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
lfisher wrote:
downeymb wrote:
Beaveman wrote:

I agree.

I think "not very good" is a better description than "lousy".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:

How many stretch goals have to be unlocked for you to consider it worthwhile? How many tiles do you expect?

Queen Games is tracking the expected eventual total and how many stretch goals were unlocked. While you may think the initial value is poor, you'd expect they took into account the expected final value of all the stretch goals when coming up with the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
When you compare the price of the Stretch Goals Only package with the Big Box + Stretch Goals, it definitely looks like the Stretch Goals Only is a bummer deal (more than half the price of the entire package). Compared to the price you'd pay for those individual stretch goals if they were released as promos (they wouldn't be released all together as an expansion), it might be a decent deal. If you already own the base game and expansions and just want the stretch goals, it might be a good idea to just go all in with the ~$74 pledge. You should be able to easily sell the Big Box for at least $50 and you should be able to get $5-10 for Mammut just by selling it at a yard sale/swap meet. It might be a little more work, but in the end you will only pay at most $20 for all of the Stretch Goal extras.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Roe
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
If you already own the base game and expansions and just want the stretch goals, it might be a good idea to just go all in with the ~$74 pledge. You should be able to easily sell the Big Box for at least $50 and you should be able to get $5-10 for Mammut just by selling it at a yard sale/swap meet. It might be a little more work, but in the end you will only pay at most $20 for all of the Stretch Goal extras.

That's pretty much where I am. The SG/promo-only tier is a bit more expensive than I'd have expected, but I don't think the price is terrible for what it is - it's pretty much exactly what I paid for each of the Escape expansions in the UK.

The problem is that the Big Box is such a good deal that the SG/promo tier suffers in comparison. Some people ascribe that to conniving malice, pumping up the price of the stretches to encourage people to buy the big box. I don't begrudge anyone their interpretation but to me it just looks like Queen not being willing to take a hit on the SG-only stuff and pricing it at about the value of its components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gregory
Australia
Mount Nelson
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
downeymb wrote:
Beaveman wrote:

I agree.

You can't please everybody all of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the Kickstarter closes early next week, and we're already at the equivalent of 10 or so promo packs, including the Mayan Calendar and a laundry list of stretch goals, plus the additional two rooms that QG promised us out of the blue as a thank you. We'd be lucky to hit all of the next four stretch goals that have just been posted, so I think we have a fair idea of the total package. I'm not sure if "stretch goal only" backers will receive the (possible? probable?) physical stretch goals that were announced that will be offered with the upcoming Kickstarter to launch a digital version of the game, but those will be a nice added bonus if it comes to fruition.

Depending on how you price them, the current bonus materials look to be $30 - $50 worth of extras, with more possible, plus shipping. All that without having to track them down individually. I'd say it's turned into a much better value -- and a mind-blowingly good deal for those who are picking up the Big Box.

In all, I'm very happy with the way this Kickstarter is turning out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
This is by far the best Queen Games kickstarter I've seen to date in terms of value... I see nothing to really complain about here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.