United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just picked this up the other day and spent most of this afternoon digesting the rulebook in anticipation for playing it this weekend. I've also watched Joel Eddy's review along with a couple of run-throughs, and I'm feeling pretty confident about jumping into the deep end of the pool with the Walking Zeds scenario. Even if I'm feeling confident, should I go ahead and skip over the tutorial and original scenario? Or are those pretty essential to learning the game beyond the rulebook?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeddy
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd definitely be suggesting at least the Classic Nightmare Scenario, before hitting the Walking Zeds scenarios, if you are feeling confident (i.e. you may be able to safely skip the Tutorial. Though if wargames and CRT tables are new to you, this may not be such a great idea, if you get thoroughly whooped by Classic... ;D).

Having said that, I too was very confident, and in fact had watched all of Lines42's videos, but still did the tutorial, just to maximize my bang-for-buck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theron Seckington
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend the tutorial - it's one thing to see the rules in action, but another to get your hands on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched a couple of runthroughs and just dove into the Walking Deads standard scenario. Plenty of trips to the rulebook, but no big deal. Be not afraid--except for the zombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
I watched a couple of runthroughs and just dove into the Walking Deads standard scenario. Plenty of trips to the rulebook, but no big deal. Be not afraid--except for the zombies.

I agree, "Plenty of trips to the rulebook" is the best way for me to learn the rules. The index (in the files section here) would probably be helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franklin
msg tools
I also dove straight in to a full Nightmare. Which it was. As long as you are OK with referencing the rulebook and almostly certainly losing it's one hell of a ride!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll probably dive straight in then, unless anyone thinks I'm going to be missing anything by bypassing the first two scenarios? It looks like the Walking Zeds scenario encapsulates everything in those scenarios judging by the setups depicted in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The cool thing about the smaller scenarios is that you're not guaranteed of having all the cards in there. So you really don't know what's coming up!

Have fun in any case!
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good point, Hermann

I went ahead and started with the tutorial scenario. I think it was a good place to start off so that I didn't feel overwhelmed, though playing it after reading the rulebook was confusing since chaos markers and a few other things weren't mentioned at all. Not sure if I was supposed to use them or not, but I went ahead and did so anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The tutorial is designed to just allow you to dip your toe in the water (infected or not). So a lot of things are not included.
Herm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.