Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Previously, on the misadventures of six misfits...

A certain manor by the sea, once home to the great Foxglove family, is now barren. Some distance from the town of Sandpoint, the small farming community that has grown outside the manor is as sad and forlorn as the history of the Foxgloves. Tragedy has beset the family numerous times, with rumors of insanity, horrid massacres, and suicides amongst the survivors. Ghosts of victims, including the most recently deceased Iesha Foxglove, continue to haunt the grounds today, according to Shalelu Andosana. However, word has it that more than ghosts have been moving in the manor grounds, and the madness and violence has started to spread to the community nearby.

There isn't much to go on, but it is something worth investigating. As the sun sets, the group heads for the makeshift village and begins investigating...

AMIRI
(Strength +1; Wisdom +1; Hand Size +1; Heavy Armor Proficiency)
1x Bastard Sword +1
1x Flaming Mace +1
1x Greatsword
1x Longsword +1
1x Warhammer +1
1x Elven Breastplate
1x Magic Half-Plate
1x Masterwork Tools
1x Mattock
1x Grizzled Mercenary
1x Sheriff Hemlock
2x Blessing of Gorum
3x Blessing of the Gods

HARSK
(Dexterity +1; Wisdom +1; Snipe +2)
1x Dagger +1
1x Light Crossbow +1
1x Longbow +1
1x Returning Throwing Axe +1
1x Shock Longbow +1
1x Hide Armor of Fire Resistance
1x Potion of Healing
1x Codex
1x Eyes of the Eagle
1x Archer
1x Shalelu Andosana
1x Blessing of Erastil
4x Blessing of the Gods

LEM
(Intelligence +1; Charisma +1; Weapons Proficiency; Inspire +1)
1x Deathbane Light Crossbow +1
1x Cure
1x Force Missile
2x Lightning Touch
1x Speed
1x Masterwork Tools
1x Spyglass
1x Sage
1x Standard Bearer
1x Troubadour
1x Blessing of Desna
1x Blessing of Irori
1x Blessing of Pharasma
2x Blessing of the Gods

LINI
(Intelligence +1; Wisdom +1; Animal +2)
1x Aid
2x Cure
2x Holy Light
1x Inflict
1x Holy Candle
1x Spyglass
1x Crow
1x Father Zantus
2x Toad
1x Blessing of Pharasma
3x Blessing of the Gods

SAJAN
(Dexterity +1; Constitution +1; Magic Fists; Hand Size +1)
1x Amulet of Life
1x Boots of Elvenkind
1x Mattock
1x Spyglass
1x Mayor Kendra Deverin
1x Sage
1x Standard Bearer
1x Troubadour
2x Blessing of Calistria
1x Blessing of Erastil
1x Blessing of Sarenrae
1x Blessing of Torag
3x Blessing of the Gods

SEONI
(Strength +1; Charisma +1; Channel +1; Item Recharge)
1x Augury
1x Enfeeble
1x Haste
1x Scorching Ray
1x Potion of Healing
1x Sihedron Medallion
1x Wand of Shield
1x Acolyte
1x Sage
1x Standard Bearer
1x Troubadour
1x Blessing of Irori
1x Blessing of Pharasma
3x Blessing of the Gods

1. Seoni goes to the local Academy. On an abandoned desk, she finds a scroll of Frost Ray. (Natural 5 plus modifiers) She casts Haste to look around the other tables, and finds a scroll of Acid Arrow. She then casts an Augury for spells, and finds a tome of Find Traps, as well as a Potion of Gracefulness and a certain noble. (I am giddy with delight in finding Aldern Foxglove, though I am wondering if anyone will believe me that he just happened to be here at the very scenario where he is needed.) Wondering what the noble is doing at a magic academy, Seoni ignores the spell and moves on. She moves ahead (discarding Blessing of Irori) and finds a Zombie lurking nearby. She melts the undead away with an Acid Arrow. (2+3+4 plus modifiers.) She hurries further (discarding Blessing of Pharasma) and comes across a Mystic Inscription that merely translates to "Aren't you glad you didn't light the lamp?" (Natural 4 plus modifiers is a long way from the 10 I need.)

2. Amiri is at a Treacherous Cave near the manor, and finds a serviceable suit of Leather Armor. (Natural 6) Nearby, (discarding Blessing of the Gods) she finds a Dogslicer on the floor. (Natural 12) However, Amiri is alerted by a strange sound. She investigates it, (discarding Blessing of Gorum) and can't help but feel that a malevolent spirit has haunted her. Suddenly, the shambling form of Iesha Foxglove attacks Amiri. (Natural 4 plus one Haunt.) Amiri has no way to talk her way out of it, (Even with a natural 6 from the charisma die, that's still 7 damage.) and she throws the Leather Armor at the undead ghast as the barbarian makes her escape. Amiri finds that the rest of the cave is otherwise clear, and leaves before Iesha appears again. (Natural 6 plus modifiers.)

3. Harsk finds a Dogslicer at the entrance to the Deeper Dungeons below the manor, but the dwarf has no interest in the crude goblin weapon. Harsk hears a noise, and looking over a corner (discarding Blessing of the Gods) finds a swarm of Diseased Rats. He fires a shot from his Shock Longbow +1, but the rats swarm over him instead of fleeing. (1+1... yes, snake eyes, plus modifiers totals 7. Thankfully, it deals damage instead if I fail a fortitude check and... oh, I rolled a 1. I lose Blessing of Erastil off the top of the deck.) Undaunted, he gets up and explores further, (discarding Blessing of the Gods) only to feel an unnatural chill. Suddenly, Iesha Foxglove appears! (Rolled a natural 6) Harsk quaffs the Potion of Healing (for 4) before trying to deal with Iesha, but gets mauled. (I lose the Shock Longbow +1 and the only other card left, a Codex.) As Harsk explores the remains of the dungeons, Seoni prays for Harsk, (discarding Blessing of the Gods) who finds the dungeons otherwise clear. (2+10 plus modifiers)

4. Lem is at the local Prison when a Goblin Commando shoots at him. (I lose Force Missile) Lem responds with a Lightning Touch, which fries the goblin and drops him off his vantage point. (1+2+8 plus modifiers; he also passes the recharge check with a natural 7.) The Sage stops Lem as he tries to move down a Trapped Passageway; he takes the time to disarm them with his Masterwork Tools. He then finds a Merchant waiting on the guard. Lem convinces the guard to let her go, and she gratefully joins Lem for now. (Natural 9 plus modifiers.) The Merchant leads Lem around the prison, but they are surprised by the sudden appearance of a Faceless Stalker! Lem prays to Pharasma before grabbing it with his Lightning Touch, and obliterates the abberation. (1+4+4+9+10 plus modifiers; also passes the recharge check with a natural 10.)

5. Lini is at another Desecrated Vault, where a Shadow is waiting for her. With the Toad distracting the shade, Lini shapeshifts (discarding another Toad) and says a prayer, (discarding Blessing of the Gods; I opt not to bury it to emulate the Blessing of Lamashtu) but she takes a hit before sending it running. (2+3+5 +2 Animal; one short, which makes me lose Blessing of Pharasma.)

6. Sajan is at the Farmhouse, and finds a bell. By saying a prayer to Calistria, he finds that it is actually a Chime of Unlocking. (8+10+10... really overkill.) The Standard Bearer visits her family home, which is beset by a Giant Gecko. Sajan channels a Blessing of the Gods and beats the gecko and sends it running. (3+8 +1 Dexterity)

7. Seoni rushes to find the suspicious noble, ignoring a scroll of Invisibility. (Natural 1) The Sage corners the noble, who calls himself Aldern Foxglove. Aldern confesses that he is responsible for the death of Iesha Foxglove, as well as the recent spate of haunts. He gives Seoni a text that he found, revealing some promising methods of banishing haunting spirits. The Standard Bearer finds a scroll of Cure, which is badly rotten. (Natural 2)

8. Amiri goes to the Warrens, and comes across a Snake. As she approaches it, it turns out to be friendly, and joins her. (Natural 3 +1 Wisdom +3 Survival -1 Haunt... just right.)

9. Harsk goes to the Prison, and comes across another Faceless Stalker. Lem casts Speed on Harsk (Fails the recharge check with a natural 3.) who he defeats by hacking it with his Returning Throwing Axe +1. (2+3+8 +1 Magic +1 Dexterity +3 Speed +3 Ranged -1 Haunt -2 Stalker)

10. Lem goes to the Academy and casts Cure (for 1+1; at least he passes the recharge check with a natural 7 plus modifiers) on Seoni. He finds a Potion of Gracefulness, which he keeps. (Natural 6) Lem uses his Spyglass, and finds that there is another creature that is dressed just like Aldern Foxglove... (Yes, it is the Skinsaw Man. Also, the other card is the Find Traps from earlier.)

11. Lini patrols the vault when she hears the sound of a large metal object dropping. As it gets louder and louder, the Toad recognizes it as a Falling Bell and runs away. (1+10 plus modifiers) Lini barely dodges the bell in time. (1+6 plus modifiers; still loses Aid.) Suddenly, a Goblin Warrior charges after, but Lini is ready with Holy Light. (1+2+3+6 plus modifiers; also passes the recharge check with 3+5 plus modifiers.)

12. Sajan searches the Farmhouse with his Spyglass, and notices some Thieves' Tools amidst Explosive Runes. He gets to the tools first and grabs them, (Natural 9) then moves quickly (discarding Blessing of Torag) with his Boots of Elvenkind to dodge the Explosive Runes. (8+10 plus modifiers)

13. Seoni goes to Foxglove Manor, and sets Aldern Foxglove in the middle of a spell circle drawn from the book of exorcism to banish some of the haunts. (Amiri and Harsk are thankful for this.) A Giant Gecko attacks them, but she blasts it with a Scorching Ray. (1+2+11 plus modifiers)

14. Amiri goes to the Farmhouse, and finds a Light Crossbow which she keeps. (Natural 5.)

15. Harsk goes to the Farmhouse, and finds a Soldier on patrol. They exchange greetings, and move on. Looking ahead, he finds another soldier moving not quite right in the distance. (A Skeleton.)

16. Lem returns to the Prison, only to find some evil spirit haunting him. He is relieved when nothing happens. (Natural 3 plus one haunt... the times I'm happy to be one short.) A quick prayer (discarding Blessing of the Gods emulating a Blessing of Iomedae) helps him convince the locals to retake the prison. (3+4+8 plus modifiers; he gets the Sage reshuffled.)

17. Lini casts Cure (for 4+1; barely makes the recharge check with 1+5 plus modifiers) on herself. The Toad alerts her to an approaching Sneak, (makes the wisdom check with 1+5 +1 Wisdom +2 Animal... a little more than enough.) She then shapeshifts (discarding Father Zantus) and says a quick prayer (discarding Blessing of the Gods) before mauling the thief. (4+4+7 +2 Animal -2 Adventure)

18. Sajan goes to Foxglove Manor and finds a desecrated shrine to Erastil. He cleans the shrine, and receives a blessing for his troubles. (Natural 4) The Troubadour finds a Locked Stone Door, but the lock is no match for the Chime of Unlocking. Beyond the door, Sajan notices a Siren trapped behind it. He quietly closes the door and locks it. (In other words, I put it on the bottom of the location deck.)

19. Seoni keeps up the ritual with Aldern as the focus. (Lem thanks her for that.) She notices a scroll of Augury, which is sadly stained in black soot. (Natural 2 +1 Charisma +2 Arcane... one short, but I probably would have used it then and there, reshuffling the Siren. Perhaps it was a good thing I didn't get it.) She casts Haste to find a scroll of Enfeeble, which is legible. (Natural 11.)

20. Amiri approaches the Skeleton that Harsk found earlier. She barely defeats it with her Flaming Mace +1. (3+3 +1 Strength +1 Magic +2 Melee)

21. Harsk goes to the Warrens, and finds a Longbow +1 in pristine condition. (Natural 8 plus modifiers) Moving further, (discarding Blessing of the Gods) Harsk finds a creature headed for the Academy. He runs after it, but a Goblin Dog bars his way. Harsk bolts the creature with his Light Crossbow +1. (3+4 plus modifiers) Further exploration (discarding Blessing of Erastil) leads to haste and a knocked-over Potion of Energy Resistance. (Natural 3... one short.) Looking ahead, he notices a Goblin Cutpurse...

22. Lem swaps out his Standard Bearer for the Merchant. He goes to the Desecrated Vault and encounters an Ogre. Harsk fires a bolt (recharging Hide Armor of Fire Resistance to his ability) while Lem says a quick prayer (discarding Blessing of Desna) before firing a shot from his Deathbane Light Crossbow +1. The bolt hits the Ogre between the eyes. (2+5+6+8 plus modifiers) The Troubadour finds a nearby Token of Remembrance, which Lem pockets. (Natural 5) The Merchant finds a scroll of Aid, which Lem keeps. (Natural 9) Lem explores the spot where his allies found all the stuff, (discarding Blessing of the Gods) and finds a Blast Stone. (Natural 4) Lini catches up Lem and casts Cure (for 3+1; and passes the recharge check with 1+4 +1 Wisdom +1 Divine +2 Animal for just the right amount.) on him.

23. Lini is assaulted by some haunting spirit, then is shocked by the appearance of Iesha Foxglove. (Natural 6) Lem quickly inspires Lini (recharging Blast Stone) and casts Aid on her, (fails the recharge check) who together with the Toad ward off Iesha with divine magic. (1+4+5+5 plus modifiers) With a quick prayer, she purifies the Desecrated Vault. (2+8 +1 Wisdom +1 Divine -1 Haunt)

24. Sajan goes to the Warrens, and Harsk warns the monk in time to avoid the deft hands of the Goblin Cutpurse. (Natural 7) He channels a Blessing of Erastil to pulp the goblin. (4+4+6 +1 Dexterity) They notice another creature head for the Academy. Sajan explores the Warrens further (discarding Blessing of Sarenrae) and feels something sinister approach him. (The Haunt is still a monster, which sends another monster to, you guessed it, the Academy.) Iesha Foxglove suddenly appears. (Natural 3 plus two Haunts... I probably should have been using the location ability of Foxglove Manor not just on Seoni's turn, but it didn't occur to me until now.) Sajan lets the revenant beat him up, (knocking out Mattock, Chime of Opening, and Boots of Elvenkind) and it leaves when it realizes that the monk is not her enemy. Lini says a quick prayer for Sajan, (discarding Blessing of Pharasma) who clears out the warrens despite the interference of the haunting spirit. (2+3 +1 Dexterity +2 Acrobatics -1 Haunt)

25. Seoni continues the exorcism, (for which Lem and Sajan are thankful) but attracts a haunting spirit of her own. Nothing else appears, to Aldern's relief. (Natural 2 plus one haunt) Seoni says a quick prayer (discarding Blessing of the Gods) before placing wards all over the manor, sealing it. (9+11 plus modifiers) Oh, she also continues the exorcism, banishing the ghost on her back. (As these are the last turns, I dump most of my hand hopefully to draw blessings, and I am not disappointed.)

26. Amiri feels the chill of a haunting creature behind her, then is surprised by the appearance of Iesha Foxglove. (Natural 6) Seoni, Sajan, and Amiri each pray, (each discarding Blessing of the Gods) which is enough to convince Iesha not to harm the barbarian. (1+3+4+6 -1 Haunt... just enough.) A Goblin Warrior suddenly appears, which Amiri cleaves with her Greatsword. (1+2+2+10 plus modifiers) This cleans up the Farmhouse for good. Meanwhile, Seoni banishes the evil spirit, completing the exorcism.

27. Harsk rushes to the Academy only to be struck by the force bolt of an Enchanter. (Knocks out Eyes of the Eagle) He fires a bolt from his Light Crossbow +1, which catches the magician in the chest as she lands a fire bolt at the ranger. (4+6 plus modifiers; the return damage knocks out a Dagger +1)

28. Lem rushes to the Academy and is blocked by a Plague Zombie. Shalelu Andosana distracts the undead as Lem fires a shot from his Deathbane Light Crossbow +1, which only succeeds in breaking up the zombie and releasing noxious fumes. (1+1+3+4 +1 Magic... not enough) Harsk is able to withstand the fumes (Natural 5 +2 Fortitude) but Lem takes most of the fumes in, nauseating him badly. (Fails the check; takes 3 damage, which drops the Token of Remembrance, Lightning Touch, and Potion of Gracefulness.)

29. Lini heads to the Academy, but is then blocked by a Sneak, who knocks out a Toad. (1+1 is not the way to make the needed check, even with modifiers) As the other Toad distracts the thief, Lini blasts him with Holy Light. (1+2+3+4 +1 Wisdom +1 Divine +2 Animal -2 Adventure; she passes the recharge check with 2+9.)

30. Sajan goes to the Academy as dawn breaks. Together with the others, they corner the Skinsaw Man. Seoni bestows the Blessing of Pharasma on Lini as she bathes the ghoul with Holy Light, which burns the creature. (1+3+4+8+10 plus modifiers) It still remains standing, and as Sheriff Hemlock pins it to the wall and Lem inspires the monk (recharging Masterwork Tools to his ability) Sajan channels the prayers of Seoni, Amiri, Harsk, and Lem, (each discarding a blessing) as well as his own Blessing of Erastil, to bring on the beatdown... (Total dice: 1d4 + 1d6 + 7d10 +1 Inspire +1 Dexterity)

1+1+1+1+5+6+6+8+9 +2 Modifiers... It isn't a complete beatdown, but the combined attack finally defeats the ghoul for good.

“This isn't happening,” Aldern muttered to himself as he stared at the ghoul. What remains of the clothing of the undead creature made it clear that this Skinsaw Man was meant to impersonate, if not replace, the disgraced noble. The six remained silent as the noble struggled to keep his wits together. As the sun started to dawn, the group were surprised to see Iesha at a distance, except that she is no longer in her undead state. As Aldern tried to rise and reach out, the image of his departed wife suddenly disappeared with a flash as dawn broke over the horizon.

Harsk didn't mention it then, but he swears that Iesha was smiling before she disappeared.

Aldern wiped the tears from his eyes, then turned to the group and confessed the obvious; he had murdered Iesha in a fit of jealousy, then hid her in the dungeons below the manor. He then went to his old business partners for help, but found that they have joined together as members of a cult. He fled before they could press him into their service...

“It seems that this cult managed to raise your murdered wife, as well as the ghosts of your family's tragic past, as a way to silence you,” remarked Father Zantus as the group listened to his confession at the office of Mayor Kendra Deverin.

“I knew that much,” replied the noble, “which is how Seoni found me at the academy. I was trying to find some way to exorcise them, perhaps get an apprentice or acolyte to help in the morning. After seeing the ghoul that was going to replace me, it seems that I wouldn't have lasted the night.”

The mayor's eyebrows furrowed. Though she kept her stern face, the group knew her well enough to know that she was masking her rage at hearing all this from Aldern Foxglove. The noble continued his confession by naming the business partners who have since turned, as well as their location. Seoni felt somewhat sorry for the noble, but knew that justice requires that he be hanged for what he did. Finally, the mayor heard enough.

“Aldern Foxglove,” she commanded, “you are going to lead the group who saved you to this cult.”

The more I think about this scenario, the more I feel that having Aldern Foxglove in the group is a blessing. If the noble had been some other ally, Amiri would have had two haunts while everyone else had one. I would have also been forced to use more blessings on rolls instead of explores, which is a significant issue as the timer ran thin here. Granted, I could have risked running into the Skinsaw Man the first time I spied him at the academy... then again, it probably would have been Seoni encountering him blind, having to use up most of her resources on him, and with the additional 1d4 difficulty, there is no guarantee... Aldern Foxglove ended up making me play it safe, which was good for how it ended. (I also had Lini with the Holy Candle, in case things did go south.) There's also the issue of all that damage, though I think Amiri, Harsk, and Sajan could easily take it.

I guess that is how things are fated to be. At least it makes for a better (albeit, non canon) story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You did make one mistake. On turn 3, Harsk couldn't have played Potion of Healing between getting the Haunt and facing Iesha. You immediately roll to determine if you face her, and then immediately face her if you fail the roll. Other than that, great to have these back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kysmart wrote:
You did make one mistake. On turn 3, Harsk couldn't have played Potion of Healing between getting the Haunt and facing Iesha. You immediately roll to determine if you face her, and then immediately face her if you fail the roll. Other than that, great to have these back.

For those wondering which rule I gaffed here, it is this:

Play cards and use powers that affect the check.

I need to recheck the cards if Iesha allows for evading, which wouldn't matter in this case. Rechecking the replay also shows that the only card that was "replayed" as a result was a Blessing of Erastil. I'll probably let this go (let it go) as it was only used for an exploration and not a defining combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.