BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Podcasts for plane rides? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Suzanna
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm crossing the continent on Friday, and while I am taking some rules books for a couple of games I haven't played yet, and an actual novel, I still think I'd like to download some podcasts to listen to as well, for some variety. Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Secret Cabal
Blue Peg pink peg
Board Game University
D6 Generation

These are my go to ones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Elessart
msg tools
mbmbmb
The Dice Tower Podcast *****
Long running podcast with many top 10 lists, year-end reviews and many games covered. If you haven't listened, I would highly recommend checking this podcast out.
The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast ****
Great group of casters that can be really entertaining to listen too. Nice in-depth board game reviews (one per episode) and they also talk about RPGs.
D6 Generation ***
In-depth board and miniature game reviews as well as many other topics covered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Parks
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy the dice tower podcast and listen it them weekly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonia Mitchell
Scotland
Renfrew
Renfrewshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Secret Cabal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Punching Cardboard - the two hosts, Jim and Kristin have a nice conversational style that's distinct to most of the other podcasts I listen to (I do also enjoy the ones others have posted too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamien Omen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

+1 Dice Tower, consistently good

Secret Cabal is hit or miss for me, depending on the game they're reviewing. There's one dude on there who's a total downer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamien wrote:

+1 Dice Tower, consistently good

Secret Cabal is hit or miss for me, depending on the game they're reviewing. There's one dude on there who's a total downer.
Aww Tony can't help the way he talks! It's just an accent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamien Omen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

Heh. I think he's supposed to be the resident iconoclast, but it gets old after a couple of hours. He reminds me of Glum, from the old Gulliver's Travels cartoon: "We're doooooooomed."

I don't like the other extreme, either, when reviewers think everything is "awesome" and "cool." I think The Dice Tower is a pretty good balance between the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo the Dice Tower's podcast. It's the only board game-related one I listen to weekly.

They also have another podcast called Dice Tower Showdown that's kind of interesting. They have guests on the show to debate about board game topics, like whether or not Kickstarter is a good thing, or what game is better between Eclipse and Twilight Imperium. Sometimes it degenerates into more of an argument than an informed debate, but most of the episodes have been enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamien wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

Heh. I think he's supposed to be the resident iconoclast, but it gets old after a couple of hours. He reminds me of Glum, from the old Gulliver's Travels cartoon: "We're doooooooomed."

I don't like the other extreme, either, when reviewers think everything is "awesome" and "cool." I think The Dice Tower is a pretty good balance between the two.

That's why I like the Secret Cabal.

Tony (and Steve to a lesser extent) are there to balance out the usually positive Jamie & Chris.

But I really enjoy their RPG stuff too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dice Tower for news and reviews of the latest games.

Flip the Table for pure lighthearted entertainment. They always make me laugh. Although they also sneak in some thoughtful analysis of (usually) bad board games, and what changes could be made to improve game play.

The Shut Up and Sit Down podcast (these are more infrequent) for something inbetween the two. Discussions of the latest games in an entertaining and more freeform way.

And just in case you might be considering podcasts beyond the scope of board games, the one I recommend to everyone is Radiolab. Kind of pop-sciencey, well-produced and always enlightening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzanna
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ttallan wrote:
The Dice Tower for news and reviews of the latest games.

Flip the Table for pure lighthearted entertainment. They always make me laugh. Although they also sneak in some thoughtful analysis of (usually) bad board games, and what changes could be made to improve game play.

The Shut Up and Sit Down podcast (these are more infrequent) for something inbetween the two. Discussions of the latest games in an entertaining and more freeform way.

And just in case you might be considering podcasts beyond the scope of board games, the one I recommend to everyone is Radiolab. Kind of pop-sciencey, well-produced and always enlightening.

I do actually love Radiolab. It's a favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark Rosewater's Drive to Work has lots of fantastic boardgame design insights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.