Subject: Scenario length? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikkel B.
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Waiting for this to show up in europe and wonder how many of the scenarios are playable in 4-5 hours? I rarely have time and space to leave it setup.

Considered Totaler Krieg - mainly due to the cards, which I think is a very interesting way to drive the decisions - but this seems more streamlined. I guess the event chits have the same function as the cards in TK?

(Edit: "typos" ... Well, I'm danish...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel B.
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ok, found the information in the playbook blush

Each turn takes from 15-60 minutes depending on ruleknowledge and scenario.

5 hours "best" case: 20 turns
5 hours "worst" case: 5 turns

There is about 10 scenarios shorter than 20 turns, which is okay I think.

I would like to play the longer ones as well, of cause, so maybe someone has ideas for recording game-state and tips for storing/setup?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dey
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I would like to play the longer ones as well, of cause, so maybe someone has ideas for recording game-state and tips for storing/setup?

I find that using the computer program CyberBoard (http://cyberboard.brainiac.com/cyberboardv310.exe) works very well for this. I do not have the space or time or local opponents to use the physical game as much as I'd like, but I do have enough time to spend a turn or two per day. The gamebox for Unconditional Surrender! is here:
http://www.gmtgames.com/US/USE_Cyberboard2014-04-07.zip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel B.
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mark dey wrote:
Quote:

I find that using the computer program CyberBoard (http://cyberboard.brainiac.com/cyberboardv310.exe) works very well for this. I do not have the space or time or local opponents to use the physical game as much as I'd like, but I do have enough time to spend a turn or two per day. The gamebox for Unconditional Surrender! is here:
http://www.gmtgames.com/US/USE_Cyberboard2014-04-07.zip

Its actually a really good suggestion! thumbsup
I do however like to push the physical pieces around, but maybe I could combine it in some way ...

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pfeiffer
United States
Laporte
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played some short scenarios in about 2 hours.
I have 4 small children so leaving it up for a few weeks stinks. They tend to get into it. However, my wife and I are exploring methods which will allow me to keep it set up more than a few day. Now I just need the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Shipp
Australia
flag msg tools
If you like to use physical game, you could take photos of the board when you complete a session on your ipad, or phone if you have one. This game has taken aprox 30 mins to reset for each session.
Hope that helps.
Cheers Ray
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianmarco Maggio
Italy
Trieste
flag msg tools
Is the complete campaign scenario the way the game is meant to be played, or is it possible to have a satisfying and complete competitive experience playing a short 4-5 hours scenario? How much are the short scenarios replayable?
In other words, if I don't have the time or the interest in playing a 50 hours campaign, should I search another game on the topic, or is this game recommended even so?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would print and play the US: Case Blue game. It's free to print and play. It lets you explore Case Blue using only the maneuver and combat portions of the game. If you like it, you will likely enjoy the shorter scenarios, too. Of course, the US: Europe scenarios will also have politics, production, naval, etc., so it will add quite a few more knobs to turn and levers to pull. From my play throughs of Case Blue, I think the shorter scenarios will be great fun, though perhaps not as fun the full campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mrjam wrote:
Is the complete campaign scenario the way the game is meant to be played, or is it possible to have a satisfying and complete competitive experience playing a short 4-5 hours scenario? How much are the short scenarios replayable?
In other words, if I don't have the time or the interest in playing a 50 hours campaign, should I search another game on the topic, or is this game recommended even so?

Thanks

Naturally I designed the game with the full campaign in mind. However, I knew not everyone could take that much time, so I added many shorter scenarios. I did try to make the shorter scenarios interesting, as was best possible with history in mind. Some are not competitive, e.g. Poland. Others are more competitive.

Maybe others will answer also.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.