Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the 2004 edition of A&A. I haven't played it in a long while, but I'm keen to get it to the table soon.

Is this version better than the 2004 version? If so, in what way? I'm wondering whether it's worth buying when I already have an earlier edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there is too much difference between the two except a bigger map board in '42, the addition of AA artillery and new rules fr those units (no more one AA shoots all). Sub rules are different in '42 (they are more flexible in '42).

The sculps may be a little newer or different, but not by much.

That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I was asking because some folks seem to regard the version I have as inferior, and I was curious as to what the changes were. Minor things like setup can be accounted for, but obviously changes to the map wouldn't be fixable.

I'll likely just keep what I have. A & A isn't the type of game I'll get to the table often, so it's probably not worth dropping another 50 bucks.

Thanks again for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. A.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I actually prefer the graphic design of the 2004 map, the latest printing offers a more balanced game. The configuration of the map is quite different and has a lot more territories and sea zones and hence more room to maneuver and more diverse strategies to pursue. The setup is also quite different and really changes the dynamic of the game. For example, the UK starts with a factory in India.

Of course, are also new versions of A&A Europe and A&A Pacific that are quite good too....

Since you don't get this to the table much, it might not be worth it to you to upgrade, but it's worth trying the latest edition if you get the chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah...now that's interesting. Those sound like major changes indeed.

Now I'm wanting to get it - knowing there's a better balanced version out there disturbs my inner geek :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.