Hide
12 Posts

Alien Frontiers» Forums » Rules

Subject: Terraforming less ships. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaycee Skyhawkk
msg tools
So I have 3 dice. I place 2 on a shipyard to place a 4th on the maintenance bay. Could I then use my 3rd on the Terraforming station, as next turn I will be getting 3 back?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't recall the rules right now but we've always played this as a perfectly legal move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I do not run and hide... I strategically maneuver.
mbmbmbmbmb
My rules say "You may not use the Terraforming Station if doing so would reduce your fleet to fewer than three ships of your color." You're not reducing to fewer than three ships, and so it sounds legal to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert AMG
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have 3 + 1 in the shipyard. Looks legal to me. On your next turn you will have 3 again. You are perfectly fine. You will have required minimum to roll (3).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Schrempp
United States
Atascadero
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Originalazrael wrote:
So I have 3 dice. I place 2 on a shipyard to place a 4th on the maintenance bay. Could I then use my 3rd on the Terraforming station, as next turn I will be getting 3 back?

I agree, you have 3 + 1 in the shipyard. Totally legal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
"Recetivism"
badge
RePEAT O-ffender!
mbmbmbmbmb
So,he would actually be left with 2 + 1 in the shipyard maintenance bay. Still = 3 = still legal. But this move just always has to be done in sequence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaycee Skyhawkk
msg tools
The problem I have with it is the Plasma Cannon.

"Discard this card to pt another players ship in the Shipyard Stock".

Is it now illegal for him to play it on me now, or what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Originalazrael wrote:
The problem I have with it is the Plasma Cannon.

"Discard this card to pt another players ship in the Shipyard Stock".

Is it now illegal for him to play it on me now, or what?

You've got only three ships on the board?
Yes, as per the explicit statement on page 14, under Plasma Cannon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SCOTT BAUMAN
United States
Cocoa Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
Within my little game group we have not allowed this move.

Our interpretation is that the ship on the Terraforming Station is no longer a legal ship since it was turned into a colony (we have the little red arrow to put on top of the dice indicating it goes back to your Ship Stock). And the ship being constructed in the Maintenance Bay is not quite a ship until your next turn when it has been completely built. Therefore you would be reduced to less than 3 total ships on the board.

What does everyone think of our interpretation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
speleopower wrote:

Our interpretation is that the ship on the Terraforming Station is no longer a legal ship since it was turned into a colony (we have the little red arrow to put on top of the dice indicating it goes back to your Ship Stock). And the ship being constructed in the Maintenance Bay is not quite a ship until your next turn when it has been completely built. Therefore you would be reduced to less than 3 total ships on the board.

Its wrong.

The rulebook explicitly covers shooting a ship on the terraforming station (page 14, in the 2nd example). Instead of moving it to the maintenance bay, it goes directly to the stock (don't waste the plasma cannon's discard ability when targeting the terraforming station). It is still a legitimate target, and thus a real ship that still counts.

And anything in the maintenance bay (which is just another orbital facility) is still on the board and a target, just so long as the target player has more than three ships on the board when you start shooting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chiu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We allow the move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
"Recetivism"
badge
RePEAT O-ffender!
mbmbmbmbmb
speleopower wrote:

This is what I was getting at (above) with right "sequence."
If a player with 3 ships/dice places doubles on the Shipyard, he immediately places a ship in the Maintenance Bay. He now has 4 ships.

He may then place a 6 on the Terraforming Station and place a colony. The 6-ship remains on the TS until that player's next turn, when he returns it to his stock.

Whether one considers that 6 on the TS as a "legal ship" or not doesn't matter because he still has 3 others. Neither does it matter if someone blasts the 6 off the TS with the Plasma Cannon. That player has still maintained (at least) 3 ships the entire time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.