Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bob gabriels
Belgium
antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great game, but it has one glaring flaw: the flimsy paper money. Anyone have a good idea how to replace this money with something more durable/tactile ? a link to site selling money counters/tokens/thicker paper ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest getting a set of poker chips.
It is generic, so you can use them in any game that involves money, and it is designed for easy handling. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought poker chips were dumb, until a friend gave me a set. Now I wouldn't go back to paper money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go to artscow.com you can search for power grid money and find a deck of power grid money that someone made available for purchase. It is really nice. The cards are very durable and the backside of all cards looks the same which helps conceal your money.

You need three copies of the deck to get about the same number of each type of bill that comes in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jez Overton
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The deluxe edition due later this year comes with plastic coins. It has new maps and Powerplants too, so it won't make your current version redundant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KlydeFrog wrote:
If you go to artscow.com you can search for power grid money and find a deck of power grid money that someone made available for purchase. It is really nice. The cards are very durable and the backside of all cards looks the same which helps conceal your money.

You need three copies of the deck to get about the same number of each type of bill that comes in the game.

I agree. Easier to conceal than poker chips or paper money, and more durable than the later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use dice, 2 d10s and a d20 for each player color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
All games with paper money should replace that money with a note that says "Go get poker chips. Trust us."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias B.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't it harder to hide your money from your opponents if poker chips were used?
You will need some kind of screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterX wrote:
Isn't it harder to hide your money from your opponents if poker chips were used?
You will need some kind of screen.

It works fine without one. Hidden money just means that the players have to play a subgame of memory (to keep in mind how much money the others have), which is totally unnessessary meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Edgar
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

In support of the advice that you have already recieved - we have used poker chips for 4+ years. The guys won't go back - they are just so much easier than paper money. They also feel more valuable than 'play money'.

We also use them for 1830/1870.

We've never had any issues about hidden money. no one is too fussed, and if anyone becomes too nosey its easy to hide your chips behind your arm.

They are heavy though. My Power Grid box weighs a tonne when it comes time to move it :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schacht
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
If someone sits down with me to play powergrid and says money is a hidden resource, i will gladly grab a pad of paper and keep track of their money the entire game. Trackable resources shouldn't be hidden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jakebeleren wrote:
If someone sits down with me to play powergrid and says money is a hidden resource, i will gladly grab a pad of paper and keep track of their money the entire game. Trackable resources shouldn't be hidden.

Well, that's the memory part of the game. If you play Memory, you don't grab a piece of paper to keep track of the tiles, do you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jakebeleren wrote:
i will gladly grab a pad of paper and keep track of their money the entire game
Doesn't sound like a fun way to play to me - nor would I find such a person fun to play against: but that's just me.

I don't find it to be all about winning, but playing the game.

There's a breathless hush in the Close tonight --
Ten to make and the match to win --
A bumping pitch and a blinding light,
An hour to play and the last man in.
And it's not for the sake of a ribboned coat,
Or the selfish hope of a season's fame,
But his Captain's hand on his shoulder smote --
'Play up! play up! and play the game!'

The sand of the desert is sodden red, --
Red with the wreck of a square that broke; --
The Gatling's jammed and the Colonel dead,
And the regiment blind with dust and smoke.
The river of death has brimmed his banks,
And England's far, and Honour a name,
But the voice of a schoolboy rallies the ranks:

This is the word that year by year,
While in her place the School is set,
Every one of her sons must hear,
And none that hears it dare forget.
This they all with a joyful mind
Bear through life like a torch in flame,
And falling fling to the host behind --

Sir Henry Newbolt (1862-1938)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jakebeleren wrote:

I don't really have a horse in the trackable/untrackable game, but if someone absolutely insists on playing the game their way, even if the rest of the group and the game rules say otherwise, I will gladly make a mental note not to play with that person in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jakebeleren wrote:
i will gladly grab a pad of paper and keep track of their money the entire game.

If people give you grief about the pad of paper, use the positions of unused houses from your supply; standing on end, pointing one of 8 directions, plus laying down pointing left or right gives you 10 digits per house. Or, if you can think in hexadecimal, standing on end vs. laying down, pointing one of 8 directions, gives you 16 digits per house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a mnemonigimp who, with but a snap of my fingers, whispers the digits of everyone's holdings to me breathlessly.

"Red Elektros...
...twelve-and-twenty...
...my Master."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
I use a mnenomigimp who, with but a snap of my fingers, whispers the digits of everyone's holdings to me breathlessly.

'You can't use a... a nemommygimp!"

"Oh? Do the rules say I can't enjoy a game with my... friends? Is it your wish that we disturb The Rules Lawyer?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jakebeleren wrote:

If the game has trackable hidden resources, using pad and paper to keep track is cheating. Cheating should not be tolerated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
Jakebeleren wrote:

If the game has trackable hidden resources, using pad and paper to keep track is cheating. Cheating should not be tolerated.

This is an interesting statement ...
So, in an auction/strategy game like Power Grid, should people with a good short-term memory really have an edge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What, you mean like those folks with good hand-eye coordination have an edge in ball games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
What, you mean like those folks with good hand-eye coordination have an edge in ball games?

Nice try meeple

What I meant is that when I want to play soccer, I don't want to bother with hockey rules. And when I want to play Power Grid I don't want to play Memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I agree! One plays with what one has, be that a good memory or a sense of fun and enjoyment

What one doesn't do is play with artificial aids that provide an advantage in contravention of the spirit of the rules of the game and the rules of fair play. Well, at least not twice with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schacht
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
My point is clearly that if all the information is known, the result has no reason to be hidden. I just view rules like this as mistakes as they don't add anything to the game except making me track more things unnecessarily.

addendum: After talking with a friend we decided my views on this likely come from playing other games competitive. Especially Magic: the Gathering, a game in which everytime you get some amount of information you write it down and track it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone pulled out a pad of paper for a traceable, hidden resources game I might or might not play with them again in the future.

But I sure as heck would get my own pad of paper. I usually don't want to go there, but if you take me there I'll make sure it stays interesting.

OT: And yeah, poker chips are definitely a better option than the paper money. Target and Walmart frequently have cheap 4-color cases of 11.5g chips here in the US, and you can add similarly styled chips in new colors from many online retailers.

Edit: not sure about the options outside of the US, but Amazon sells the cheap cases and the extra colors, so it shouldn't be too hard to find a solution. It's completely worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.