Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Wickson
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Huffington Post has a bad habit of running one sided Tarot articles focusing only on the use of the cards for divination. It should be understood that Tarot was really made for card games most popular in countries such as France and this is a fact that the popular media should start reporting. It is negligent for them to do otherwise.

Here's the latest example: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/30/tarot-readers-brook...

When is Huffington Post going to tell the truth about Tarot cards and how they were really made for game playing and not for fortune telling? I think HuffPo is harmful to cultural diversity by giving people the false impression that Tarot cards are only used in fortune telling. It is difficult to teach Americans about Tarot card games when mainstream media like HP continue to spread the same occult stereotypes and myths about this gaming artifact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the problem really. Obviously they're ignoring other uses for the cards, but in language Tarot is synonymous with fortune telling BS, and that's what they're talking about in the article. I find it hard to believe there's much interest in non fortune telling Tarot. People know what a standard deck of playing cards look like, and few people would have any interest in deliberately going to discover other uses for them, and those wouldn't be put off by an article involving chickens feet and crystals. It might be annoying, but it's like an IT guy like be getting angry that people don't know the difference between the internet and the web. It's just not important in reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An undeserved taboo has consequences, though. It pours cold water on the prosperity and potential popularity of a whole group of harmless games. Imagine if tea suffered from the same media perception (also used for divination).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General Snafu wrote:

When is Huffington Post going to tell the truth about Tarot cards and how they were really made for game playing and not for fortune telling? I think HuffPo is harmful to cultural diversity by giving people the false impression that Tarot cards are only used in fortune telling. It is difficult to teach Americans about Tarot card games when mainstream media like HP continue to spread the same occult stereotypes and myths about this gaming artifact.

Viaga was developed specifically to treat angina for cardiac patients. Is the media doing a disservice to the public by not reporting on how it was really made for heart aliments?

If I had more time, I am sure I could think of a million examples of "designed for x, use today for y." But the fact is, tarots are largely associated with mythical whatnot because that is how they are used. I really don't see the problem with acknowledging such association.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jez Overton
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General Snafu wrote:
It is negligent for them to do otherwise.

Is it really?

As a private sector news outlet, they can report on what they like. The Huff is well known for reporting on subjects like alternative medicine and clearly they believe that their readership will be interested in an article like this. They aren't under any obligation to report on the card games, in exactly the same way that BGG isn't obligated to report on Tarot Readers.

If they were calling for a ban on Tarot cards because of their connection with the occult, then you might have more of a point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
A little while ago we had a guy complaining that games using tarot cards (even just tarot shaped cards) were an evil influence.

This reads like a satire of that post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
A little while ago we had a guy complaining that games using tarot cards (even just tarot shaped cards) were an evil influence.

Ha, yes... funny stuff... http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/990646/mainstreaming-tarot-t...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
rshipley wrote:

Ha, yes... funny stuff... http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/990646/mainstreaming-tarot-t...

I must not have had much to do that day. Hey, the OP here made the last couple posts in that thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General Snafu wrote:
Huffington Post has a bad habit of running one sided Tarot articles focusing only on the use of the cards for divination. It should be understood that Tarot was really made for card games most popular in countries such as France and this is a fact that the popular media should start reporting. It is negligent for them to do otherwise.

Here's the latest example: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/30/tarot-readers-brook...

How is this different from Huffington Post's treatment of pretty much any topic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see really what the problem is, either. Different strokes for different folks ...reading tarot is a kind of game, just like another game-- caveat being people really believe that the predictions of the cards have some basis in reality. And you have to have fetishes and candles and chicken feet to make it all work out ok.

I had a chuckle when I read this quote:

Quote:
I wouldn’t believe in magic if I didn’t have some kind of evidence,” Stella said.
The evidence you made up in your head, you mean?

shake

This does remind me, though, that many board games feature Egyptian and Norse gods (some of the people featured in the article seem to believe these gods are real), and no one thinks twice about playing those or thinking they are magical in some way (other than magically fun, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwill2 wrote:

Quote:
I wouldn’t believe in magic if I didn’t have some kind of evidence,” Stella said.
If you actually read the article properly, you'd know what the evidence was. Coincidence. Pure, scientifically proven, set in stone... coincidence. Gah, you're so skeptical!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Kwill2 wrote:

Quote:
If you actually read the article properly, you'd know what the evidence was. Coincidence. Pure, scientifically proven, set in stone... coincidence. Gah, you're so skeptical! :D

I am reminded of teh friend who always used to tell me about some Red head or other he had seen on a bus.

He took up magic and cast a spell to help him find a red head, they kept telling me how the spell was working as he was always seeing red heads on the bus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wickson
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This in a nutshell is the problem. Tarot cards do have an undeserved taboo because of the media's one sided depiction of them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wickson
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
rshipley wrote:

I must not have had much to do that day. Hey, the OP here made the last couple posts in that thread.

Where do guys get the idea that games using Tarot or appearing like Tarot are evil? From the fact that they were given no other context in which to view these cards. I think popular media like HuffPo contributes to the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General Snafu wrote:
This in a nutshell is the problem. Tarot cards do have an undeserved taboo because of the media's one sided depiction of them
Why do you care so much about a form factor and some obscure games?

Go find someone, and say "did you know that Tarot cards were originally made for playing regular games?", and they'll say "no". then say "do you care about this at all?" and they'll say "no".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wickson
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
brattle wrote:
General Snafu wrote:
It is negligent for them to do otherwise.

Is it really?

As a private sector news outlet, they can report on what they like. The Huff is well known for reporting on subjects like alternative medicine and clearly they believe that their readership will be interested in an article like this. They aren't under any obligation to report on the card games, in exactly the same way that BGG isn't obligated to report on Tarot Readers.

If they were calling for a ban on Tarot cards because of their connection with the occult, then you might have more of a point.

HP is not calling for a ban Tarot cards. However, I have known that internet filters censoring occult content have filtered the subject of Tarot games even the website of the FFT because they were mistaken to be occult. So the perception that Tarot is only used in occultism is bad for games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wickson
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
General Snafu wrote:
Why do you care so much about a form factor and some obscure games?

Go find someone, and say "did you know that Tarot cards were originally made for playing regular games?", and they'll say "no". then say "do you care about this at all?" and they'll say "no".

Some people I've talked to have expressed interest. Some have thought Tarot games to be more interesting that Tarot card reading once they found out about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wickson
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Grinch wrote:
General Snafu wrote:

How is this different from Huffington Post's treatment of pretty much any topic?

Not much. HP is notorious for being anti science. http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4283
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
τὰ ὄντα ἰέναι τε πάντα καὶ μένειν οὐδέν
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General Snafu wrote:
I think HuffPo is harmful to cultural diversity by giving people the false impression that Tarot cards are only used in fortune telling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wickson
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
I don't see the problem really. Obviously they're ignoring other uses for the cards, but in language Tarot is synonymous with fortune telling BS, and that's what they're talking about in the article. I find it hard to believe there's much interest in non fortune telling Tarot. People know what a standard deck of playing cards look like, and few people would have any interest in deliberately going to discover other uses for them, and those wouldn't be put off by an article involving chickens feet and crystals. It might be annoying, but it's like an IT guy like be getting angry that people don't know the difference between the internet and the web. It's just not important in reality.

In case you're curious, the word "oracle" is now becoming synonymous with fortune telling and may eventually supplant "Tarot" Lenormand decks and angel cards are competing with Tarot in the card reading marketplace.

Tarot is really no more different than standard playing cards as they are used for both playing and divination.

I don't think the problem is people using Tarot for divination but that popular media is misrepresenting it by giving people the false notion that Tarot was made for fortune telling or that that is its only purpose.

I've recently stumbled across the quote:

"Tarot is not properly speaking, a divinatory practice, but a complex card game, invented in the fifteenth century, which somewhat like bridge, turns on capturing tricks."
From "Life, Sex, and Ideas: The Good Life Without God" by A. C. Grayling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wickson
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hatemachine wrote:

The fact that Tarot was intended for games is not relevant on a games website like this one? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wickson
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BaBang wrote:
General Snafu wrote:

Viaga was developed specifically to treat angina for cardiac patients. Is the media doing a disservice to the public by not reporting on how it was really made for heart aliments?

If I had more time, I am sure I could think of a million examples of "designed for x, use today for y." But the fact is, tarots are largely associated with mythical whatnot because that is how they are used. I really don't see the problem with acknowledging such association.

Tarot is largely associated with "mythical" in countries like the US because we've been given no other context in which to view them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That misconception is very prevalent in American media past and present. It certainly isn't particular to the Huffington Post.

But also so what? It's use as divination doesn't lessen it's use as a game.
E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thompson

Las Vegas
Nevada
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
General Snafu wrote:

Wait, a media outlet is overreacting and sensationalizing 1 aspect of an item in hopes of drumming up readership?
I am shocked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.