Subject: Why two different box covers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vander Dlonk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

How come AA50 came in two versions of the box cover, Spring 1941 and Spring 1942? Is there any difference otherwise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was looking into finding a copy, I knew the answer.

Now it has been quite a while and do not remember 100% but I think it was they had the actual box art that was used on the game but released a different version of the box art prior to the official release. Since the image was available, it was taken and reused on the web even though in the end it was not correct.

It is further complicated since they have released multiple Deluxe Anniversary Editions of the game so finding the correct one by searches can be a challenge.

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
STYLES_DNR wrote:
Now it has been quite a while and do not remember 100% but I think it was they had the actual box art that was used on the game but released a different version of the box art prior to the official release. Since the image was available, it was taken and reused on the web even though in the end it was not correct.

This is correct. The "1942" cover was a prototype version that was used in pre-release publicity but never produced. The "1941" cover is the actual production one.

STYLES_DNR wrote:
It is further complicated since they have released multiple Deluxe Anniversary Editions of the game so finding the correct one by searches can be a challenge.

This is not so correct. There is only one Anniversary Edition. However, there have been a few different editions since then, including Axis & Allies 1941 (an "entry level" version), Axis & Allies: 1942 (the current "flagship" version), and Axis & Allies Europe 1940 and Axis & Allies Pacific 1940 ("deluxe" versions that can be combined into a monster global game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the clarification.

David.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.