Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tom tom
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all.

I'd need some advice here so please let me explain in a few words:

My girlfriend enjoys to play once in a while and since we are both huge fans of the Lord of the Rings I'm at present looking for a LoTR game (or 2, *wink* *wink*).

Here's some titles she likes to play:

- Merchants and Marauders.
- Navegador.
- Carcassonne.
- Samurai.
- Mah Jong.
- RoboRally.
- Zombicide (according to her it's more because of the atmosphere than the cooperative side of the game but I'm thinking she may enjoy a good LoTR coop even if she isn't too fond of coop games usually. For instance she doesn't dig Scotland Yard, altough it's an all time favorite of mine).

I own Riddle of the Ring but she didn't enjoy it because she didn't feel the theme was right despite the artwork.
I also own the Fellowship of the Ring but she backed at all the components and details and rules and, you know... Really I can't blame her.

I don't really know if there's a LoTR game for us out there but it would be great if I could find one (or two...).

Thanks in advance for any kind of help and advice

Cheers.

tom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Volpe
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest you check out Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation.

Easy to learn, tense game play, very thematic and plays quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maya
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game is an incredible game with vivid artwork that's very true to the spirit of Tolkien. Based on the books, not the movies. It's co-op/solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love War of the Ring, but in your case it might be too big and battley.

Lord of the Rings the Card Game is good, but only get this if you really like pre-game deck construction and collecting, which I don't.

Maybe Lord of the Rings, the co-op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring is pure epic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife wouldn't even touch most of the games you've listed so I'm not sure how compatible this is, but she really enjoys the Lord of the Rings co-op game.
I enjoy it too, my only real complaint about it is that it's *very* hard to beat with 2 players (as in we've never actually won the thing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the LotR LCG, but it's pretty heavy, strategy wise and involves deck building. Also, it can be hard. We won the first time we played the Mirkwood "intro" scenario and lost the second time.

That said, the core set isn't priced too badly and if she dislikes it you can always resell it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
Lord of the Rings the Card Game is good, but only get this if you really like pre-game deck construction and collecting

This. LOTR: LCG is my favorite LOTR game, but you really have to be willing to put up with the pseudo-CCG nature of it ("pseudo" because nothing is random, but you'll still be spending a chunk of change on collecting).

The best part about this game is how thematic it is. You can buy the two Hobbit saga expansions and take on the trolls with Bilbo, or fight in the Battle of Five Armies. Fantasy Flight has now started releasing saga expansions for the three LOTR books. the first one, The Black Riders, covers the first half of Fellowship of the Ring. There will be 6 saga expansions in all, with a campaign mode to let you play through all of them in a thematic fashion.

So yeah, if you don't mind deck construction and collecting, this is a great choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, now these are options to look into

I'm not too fond of collecting cards games but you caught my attention and I may even consider LOTR: LCG

Cheers !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The nice thing about the LotR card game is that it's not a collectable card game, per say. It's a "living" card game. So you know exactly what you're getting in each expansion. No buying packs and getting a bunch of cards you already have and don't want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:
My wife wouldn't even touch most of the games you've listed so I'm not sure how compatible this is, but she really enjoys the Lord of the Rings co-op game.
I enjoy it too, my only real complaint about it is that it's *very* hard to beat with 2 players (as in we've never actually won the thing).

I add my recommendation to those for Knizia's Lord of the Rings co-op game. The artwork is reportedly by the same guy who was art director for the films.

Our experience is that it is very hard to beat period, though we did manage to do so with 3 players once. I think the difficulty is in keeping with the theme of the books; after all, if you could win 50% of the time, wouldn't that reduce the quest to a flip of the coin? The thrill of the story was the hobbits' success against incredible odds, and so I think this game is very true to the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the recommendation for LoTR: The Confrontation. It's two player only, plays very smooth and thematically, and doesn't have a lot of complex rules or cards with text that you have to deal with. Great game for gamers or non-gamers alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShelbyB wrote:
The nice thing about the LotR card game is that it's not a collectable card game, per say. It's a "living" card game. So you know exactly what you're getting in each expansion. No buying packs and getting a bunch of cards you already have and don't want.

Now this is excellent news
I was kinda worried I'd end up broke with 10 Frodos and 17 Gimlis or these kind of things, you know...

So far, I took things in order and I've looked at Marnaudo's video review of The Confrontation. This looks good I say.
I'm already checking on availability and have my eye on a couple of 2nd hand copies
I'm just trying to refrain myself because I know I should check the other games too... And also because the mechanics of the game reminds me why I don't play Stratego with the GF anymore: she kept kicking my butt and captured my Marshal with her Spy way too often whistle

Man, at this pace you guys are gonna make me buy the whole bunch lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
I add my recommendation to those for Knizia's Lord of the Rings co-op game. The artwork is reportedly by the same guy who was art director for the films.

First edition only (OOP). The re-release contained some very disappointing 'generic' fantasy art. Apart from that it is one of my favourite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janessa Pagliaccio

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:

Try playing where you each control 2 hobbits. That made it winnable but not easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Barstow
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am a HUGE Lord of the Rings fan and have played and owned several of the games mentioned here.

War of the Ring - Yes, epic, but as others have noted, likely to much battle stuff (unless she grew up enjoying games like Risk). It does capture the feel of the books and the weight of the struggle rather well.

LOTR: The Confrontation - Much more of a "classic" feel to it, like a thematic game of checkers or chess. Not too complicated, and becomes more fun the more you play against the same opponent and both become more familiar with the game.

LOTR - This classic Knizia coop was my first ever cooperative game. Yes, it can be hard, but once you're familiar with the events, you can effectively prepare for the upcoming hazards (although the event deck can thwart even the best of plans). Expansions certainly add more complexity once you've mastered the basics. The game may be a challenge to beat, but the cooperative nature is introduced very simply here and makes for a nice "first step" into the wonderful world that is cooperative gaming.

LOTR: TCG - I'll admit, this game is hugely fun, but has a huge amount of rules. It can be overwhelming, but given time and familiarity, the basic gameplay becomes second nature. The "work" portion of the game is all about building your deck…which requires you to play the game as you experiment…which results in multiple (sometimes many) losses during the learning process. But it's an incredibly fun process, and BGG is an invaluable resource pool of deck ideas, new challenges and unexplored options. I usually play solo, but coop is a ton of fun here too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All right, you guys nailed me there

LoTR: The Confrontation has just been ordered.

War of the Ring may indeed be too epic and "battley" for her but I've been wrong before. I'll keep the title in mind for the future, you never know.
Afterall, she'd like to try and paint some of my Blood Bowl miniatures...

I'll keep my mind on LoTR: TCG because since it can be solo, maybe it'll do the trick for me anyway, and considering there's tons of stuff in the game and expansions I bet the replayability won't be an issue.

Speaking of which, I need to ask about the replayability of LoTR - (Knizia's coop).
A review said that after a couple of games the game becomes pretty quickly the same thing and the same feels so I'd like to hear your views on the matter.

I confess this is usually something I'm worried about when it comes to coop games and/or solo games, so any extra input will be welcome.

Cheers

tom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring (Second Edition) is to LotR as Merchants & Marauders is to pirate games. They have a similar length, brilliantly capture the theme, and both include their share of conflict. I would normally recommend something like The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game or Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation, but if your wife can handle M&M you should definitely try WotR. It is the definitive LotR game.

I'll also add that if she doesn't like the battles as much, she can play the Free Peoples. They are more about moving the fellowship and companions with some focus on defense. Shadow is all about offense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Barstow
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tomfromparis wrote:
...I need to ask about the replayability of LoTR - (Knizia's coop).
A review said that after a couple of games the game becomes pretty quickly the same thing and the same feels so I'd like to hear your views on the matter.

I confess this is usually something I'm worried about when it comes to coop games and/or solo games, so any extra input will be welcome.

Cheers

tom.

Hey again Tom,

I can certainly understand the concerns from others about Knizia's replayability.

YES:
It is the same walkthrough every single game. No news areas to explore or alternative paths to victory. It's always about destroying the ring and it's ONLY about destroying that accursed ring.

You'll quickly learn that when playing through board X, you need to do A,B and C in that order. So, you'll always look for ways to do A,B and then C.

Starting the Sauron character closer to your hobbits is more about increasing difficulty. That doesn't always translate into increased replayability - unless you really enjoy the game.

OPTIONS:
Several expansions are available to add to the extra complexity and paths to victory. But I'll be honest, trying to win the game by any means other than destroying the ring always feel like a cop-out.

It is, in the end, a very linear game. It's a challenging one, but can easily be taught to new players (my 5-year-old and I enjoy it together). However, I'm an avid Tolkien fan, and I never tire of this game. It's always fun to attempt the incredible quest to destroy the One Ring. You'll find yourself doing a lot of the same things the same way each time, but that event deck can really change the difficulty flow at any moment. Of course, for the linear and coop aspect of this one, it may offer enough of a change of pace from other games to warrant some table time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the feedback

Atm I've ordered The Confrontation and I may give a shot at the cards game within a few months, but I'm surely intrigued by War of the Ring and Knizia's coop.

The least I can say is that you guys offered options for the future
Cheers !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.