Rajeev Nair
India
flag msg tools
I read the play report on the website patriot.net. It was really well done. However I was wondering how many of the scenarios in Great Battles of Alexander would be playable by 2 people where the Persians have a fair chance to win?

I know that would mean that they are perhaps not historically accurate but does that happen anywhere in this game, because this is a simulation?

If so could you please mention the battles that can be played by 2? I think this information would be useful to a lot of people including myself.

I was really thinking on buying this game and my decision would really depend on what my fellow geeks say. The price is quite high and though it is an incredible value I would still like to have opinions on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rumpelstilskin
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the persians win at Gaugamela and the Indians at Hydaspes.
Didn't play the small scenarios.

I REALLY enjoy zhis game and the whole series. Btw: I play solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
General Sherman says have a great day!
mbmbmbmbmb
The reprint is coming out later this year - not too expensive on the P500 if you don't mind waiting a few months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Angel Gil
Spain
Gijon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played more than half of the scenarios of the Deluxe edition and the initial setup reflect aminly the historical outcome, so there are many scenarios inclined to Alexander, BUT, here is the great point, mostly all battles have additional rules or setup with for a more balanced aproach.

Hope that this helps, it's an amazing game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobrukker
United States
flag msg tools
Check out http://results4gboh.wordpress.com/, see for yourself. Though even with some of the more uneven results doesn't mean scenarios aren't close or have tension. I think Issus is one that is closer than theses results indicate.

Personally, as long as a side has 1/3 (33%) a chance to win its a compelling game. That means for every 3 games played you should win once! And anything within 60/40 is pretty even. But I understand if you want a more equal competition against a friend. For that Alexander has Gaugemela and Hydaspes, two of his biggest and most famous battles. I'm sure the new edition coming out will mention the bidding rout points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rumpelstilskin
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Tobrukker.

The Battles of Gaugamela and Hydaspes are really even balanced if not slightly balanced towards the Persians/Indians.

At Hydaspes much lies on the success of the elephant line.

At Gaugamela I had a very memorable game, where a gap in the phalanx-line was exploited to GREAT success by a very fast attack of the Persian chariots. this led to the destruction of the whole phalanx-line (when the attack was supported by Persian cav.) and the loss of battle and life for Alex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.