Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The melee phase is about to commence. My character has Wits of 3 & the opposing character has 5. But my character has an unrevealed melee weapon which would give him Wits of 9 "for combat purposes". Am I allowed to reveal this weapon before the Wits determination phase & thereby take the 1st blow with this same weapon? I would think this is possible because it is a "purposeful reveal" which would alter the order of battle. But I want to make sure in case my opponent disagrees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purposeful reveal. Absolutely good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, of course - you reveal an item at the time you first wish to use its powers, and the wits ability is most certainly one of its powers.

As a side note, I envy you, getting to play DOAII this early in the morning, that's definitely a set up for a good day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Denise wrote:
Yes, of course - you reveal an item at the time you first wish to use its powers, and the wits ability is most certainly one of its powers.

As a side note, I envy you, getting to play DOAII this early in the morning, that's definitely a set up for a good day

Thank you for answering my question & giving me your best wishes for a good day. Actually, I am not playing DOA2 this morning, but our massive game will continue again on Saturday morning. My friend who lives in a neighbouring city comes to play DOA with me twice a week & the game is set up on my dining room table. We always play the same way ---- 16 characters each, 12 platters; 16 regular keys & 12 adventure keys (everything random with a random ending somewhere between turn 35-50.) There are no set-up rules as such --- we are only limited by the table space & our imagination. The current game is 6 platters in length at its longest point.

Both my friend & I have played 50-100 boardgames in our 30+ years of competition ---- and we both rate DOA2 as the #1 boardgame of all time. It's that good, but I guess you know that already Denise! We played 63 games of the original DOA (exactly the same way), and now we are into Game #7 of DOA2. I keep detailed stats on each character to give additional meaning to each campaign.

Thanks again for your response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOWOWOW, that sounds SO awesome!!! And here I am wishing for just ONE friend who wanted to get together to play DOAII at least once a month for a Quad game... You are lucky, sir!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esto wrote:
Denise wrote:

Thank you for answering my question & giving me your best wishes for a good day. Actually, I am not playing DOA2 this morning, but our massive game will continue again on Saturday morning. My friend who lives in a neighbouring city comes to play DOA with me twice a week & the game is set up on my dining room table. We always play the same way ---- 16 characters each, 12 platters; 16 regular keys & 12 adventure keys (everything random with a random ending somewhere between turn 35-50.) There are no set-up rules as such --- we are only limited by the table space & our imagination. The current game is 6 platters in length at its longest point.

Both my friend & I have played 50-100 boardgames in our 30+ years of competition ---- and we both rate DOA2 as the #1 boardgame of all time. It's that good, but I guess you know that already Denise! We played 63 games of the original DOA (exactly the same way), and now we are into Game #7 of DOA2. I keep detailed stats on each character to give additional meaning to each campaign.

16 characters each on 12 platters sounds like a very low amount of characters for such a big board

How would you describe the level of interaction and conflict you get in your games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DenGad wrote:
Esto wrote:
Denise wrote:

16 characters each on 12 platters sounds like a very low amount of characters for such a big board

How would you describe the level of interaction and conflict you get in your games?

I would say there is a great deal of character interaction (especially trading) & conflict over the 15 to 25 hours it takes to complete the game. Each & every turn is loaded with excitement & tension as you plan & execute your grand strategy over this vast territory. There are hardly any turns that you would call even slightly boring because so much is going on with 32 characters running around focussing on their individual strengths. The last 2 games have ended in Valor Wins (on turns 32 & 25 respectively). It is hard to stay alive even with so much territory in the game. We do not allow Glory Wins. The 1st 5 games went the distance --- and even if 1 team has a comfortable lead, there are always more victory points to be taken (because so much of our enjoyment of the game is based on individual character stats). I even have a Bulletin Board dedicated to the top 30 characters (based on their average scores per appearance). I bought 2 sets of everything so I could do this with the extra character cards, & we use double the challenge cards, labyrinth cards, equipment etc (except henchmen).

We don't like the new reinforcement rules --- so we use the old ones. Much more strategy involved & more tension too in getting the order of appearance the way we want it. After the map is assembled (both of us take turns placing 1 platter & 1 standard key anywhere we want), we take 2 more keys each before we start placing the 12 random Adventure keys (which includes 3 experimental keys that were play-tested but never brought into production by Brett ---The Village; Galactic Council & Town Chapel). I forgot to mention we also add 1 random encounter to each of the 12 platters as we place them.

Wow, you really got me going with your question. My friend, Don, is coming over tomorrow for our next 5 hour session. It is now turn 19. There are 2 major battles going on plus tons of excitement everywhere else. I hope this answers your question.

P.S. In this Game #7, there have been 13 deaths thus far (which includes henchmen also) & 1 character is in prison. I have 12 characters still alive & Don has 10. I realize this format is not suitable for most gamers who have no interest in this kind of epic struggle or who simply don't have the table space or the time. But for us, it's just perfect!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, *I'M* jealous as hell That sounds like SO much fun!! Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are the photo battle reports?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fentum wrote:
Where are the photo battle reports?

Sorry, not available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
Not trying to derail this thread, but what stats do you keep? Im very interested in doing this myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisgmay wrote:
Not trying to derail this thread, but what stats do you keep? Im very interested in doing this myself

No problem. I think it's an excellent question & deserves a detailed response. As you can see, I'm a veteran of the game & have spent thousands of hours playing & compiling stats. My friend & I have agreed on a point system that rewards almost all facets of the game ---- although certain valuable characters such as Seveneyes & Thotus & Prince Wallard Blatt will never be fully rewarded for their contributions. Over the years, we have fine-tuned our point system & I will share the details with you shortly since you appear to be genuinely interested in doing something similar. Without maintaining lifetime stats for each character, you are just playing one meaningless game after another without fully appreciating the role-playing flavor & contributions of each character. At least that's how my friend & I see it. It does take a little bit of extra record-keeping but frankly it's now become second nature to us & doesn't slow down the gaming action --- all we do is place a # in the appropriate section of the worksheet for each character as it happens on the battlefield. Later when the game ends we just tally the numbers & come up with an overall score. Rankings are based on the average score per appearance.

I'm sure not everyone will agree with our scoring system. There are undoubtedly many valid ways of assessing performance so I'm not going to debate anyone who disagrees. I'm happy with our system but I'm open-minded enough to listen to other approaches.

Here goes:-

Combat-related:
*Hits = +1/2 (FRU) --- separate tallies for melee & ranged
*Hits Avoided = +1/2 (FRU) --- same as above
*Damage Given = +1 --- same as above
*Kills/Voluntary Imprisonment (Characters) = +5 --- same as above
*Kills (Bots/Henchmen) = +4 --- same as above
*Kills (Pets/Hunters) = +3 --- same as above
*Subdue = +2 --- same as above
*Make Character Change Sides = +2
*Damage Received = -1 --- separate tallies for melee & ranged
*Misses = -1/2 (FRU) --- same as above

Adventure-related:
*Amaze = +3
*Pass = +1
*Fail = -1
*FOPP = -2
*Stealing 1+ Cards (per successful attempt) = +1
*Getting Ally Out Of Prison = +2
*Increasing Health = +1 (up to max)
*Passing Each Encounter = +2

Game End Character Stats:
*Victory (excludes henchmen) = +5
*Survival = +2
*Death = -5
*Defeat (excludes henchmen) = -2
*Imprisonment = -3
*Henchman Leader Bonus = Average Score Of All Henchmen (Ignore if negative)

Okay, try it if you crave stats like I do. Modify it in whatever way you wish. Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.