Chris Green
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mb
Greetings,

I had Rooked! looked at by many fellow BGGers here on this thread and got tremendous feedback that totally redesigned Rooked!.

Rooked! is a Chess variant that attributes points to players for completing specific achievements. Although one player might put the other in Checkmate, it is the player with the most points who wins the game.


-------

SET UP
The Chess board will be set up as normal. Shuffle all the achievement cards together, draw ten and set those aside. Now take the Checkmate card and take five more cards and shuffle them together. Take those six cards and place them underneath the ten so there are sixteen total achievement cards. Put the rest of the cards back in the box, they will not be used during this game. Place the sixteen achievement cards near the game board and then place the top three achievement cards beside the board. These are the only available achievements you can acquire.

RULES
All rules and moves are the same as in regular Chess. Each achievement reached by a player will take the achievement card and replace it with another from the draw deck. If that card cannot be obtained by both players at that time, it is discarded and the slot filled when an achievement can be accomplished by both players.

If an achievement comes up that meets the conditions of the board, but then one player loses all the pieces needed to complete that achievement, the achievement card stays. If both players lose all the pieces necessary to complete an achievement, the card is discarded and replaced by another achievement.

When the Checkmate card is reviled, no other achievement cards are replaced. Game ends when one player is in Stalemate or Checkmate.

-------

If you want to be a play-tester for Rooked! just download the PnP and leave a comment so I know who's helping us out. I appreciate all who do!

You can find Rooked! on BGG, but it has not been updated with the latest rules and card images. To download and play test Rooked!, please follow this link here.

If the rules differ here from what is on the printed copy, use the rules above for they will be the most up-to-date.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Windischer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the text on the "Warrior" cards is wrong. In the condition part you wrote "rooks" instead of "knights".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Green
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mb
MartinWin wrote:
I think the text on the "Warrior" cards is wrong. In the condition part you wrote "rooks" instead of "knights".

Thanks for catching that! I'll make sure it's fixed soon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lui
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
It's been a while since I've played chess but this looks kind of fun. I might have to pull out the old chess board and give it a try.

Good luck with this!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Green
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mb
awesome_dude316 wrote:
It's been a while since I've played chess but this looks kind of fun. I might have to pull out the old chess board and give it a try.

Good luck with this!

Thanks! Let me know what you think of it... what works, what doesn't work, but most importantly did you have fun playing it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
some quick feedback:

I like the greyscale ... but, the cards will probably be easier to recognize if the pieces depicted on the cards have a tint (like ivory and woodgrain)

the font seems too small. The title and subtitle should be large enough such that you can easily read it from 2 feet. I think the size of the current title should be what you use for the subtitle; and then make the title slightly larger.

The bottom portion of the card where the text is placed can probably be darker, and that would make the text stand out better.

The rules cards probably should not have a chessboard background. The font is already hard enough to read, the background just makes it tougher to read. As it is, I had to enlarge the cards to 2x magnification on my computer to read the rules text.

There are no stage 1 vs stage 2 labeling. I'd actually prefer to have different card backs to differentiate between the two stages.

You need to get someone to edit the rules, and improve the spelling, grammar, and phrasing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Green
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mb
Stormtower wrote:
some quick feedback:

I like the greyscale ... but, the cards will probably be easier to recognize if the pieces depicted on the cards have a tint (like ivory and woodgrain)

the font seems too small. The title and subtitle should be large enough such that you can easily read it from 2 feet. I think the size of the current title should be what you use for the subtitle; and then make the title slightly larger.

The bottom portion of the card where the text is placed can probably be darker, and that would make the text stand out better.

The rules cards probably should not have a chessboard background. The font is already hard enough to read, the background just makes it tougher to read. As it is, I had to enlarge the cards to 2x magnification on my computer to read the rules text.

There are no stage 1 vs stage 2 labeling. I'd actually prefer to have different card backs to differentiate between the two stages.

You need to get someone to edit the rules, and improve the spelling, grammar, and phrasing.

All around defiantly making the changes to the text to make everything larger and easier to read. Also I like the idea of the back of the cards depicting the "stage" type. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Green
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mb
Greetings All,

It's been about three weeks since I posted this WIP and wanted to hear from the play-testers. Let me know what you liked, didn't like, what worked well, what didn't work well. But most importantly, was it fun?

Let me know if you want me to make the Stage1/Stage2 PnP and I'll make that available for play-testing.

Best,
Chris
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin castle
United States
Windsor
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
I love chess! This looks like a lot of fun. I won't be able to play until next week, but hopefully I can sit down, play, and get you some feedback.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Green
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mb
kevbot wrote:
I love chess! This looks like a lot of fun. I won't be able to play until next week, but hopefully I can sit down, play, and get you some feedback.

Hey Kevin,

Were you able to play-test Rooked? I hope you enjoyed playing it!

Best,
Chris
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin castle
United States
Windsor
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
I didn't. I just got really busy with a lot of stuff. Sorry.

But I did look over the cards and I've played chess casually long enough (over 20 years) to know that nothing seems broken or un-fun.

It looks fun too! Brings a new challenge to an old game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.