Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that we have some tech savvy folks here that may have an answer for my dilemma. So here's the situation...I have a device that came out of the box configured for BOOTP and a co-worker has disabled the BOOTP and assigned a static IP address to the device. Said co-worker has been dismissed and is no longer a reliable source of information. The problem is, I have no idea what static IP address was assigned to the device and trial and error attempts using the "most likely" values have yielded zero results. There is no way to interface with this device except through the Ethernet port. Now, I do know the MAC address of the device, but not the IP address. Is there a non-brute force method that can be used to determine that IP address? Any assistance would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoever runs your network switches should be able to find the IP based on the MAC address.

Or you can plug it into a PC with a crossover Ethernet cable and run wireshark. Usually the IP of the device will pop up pretty quick (to be fair, it's been a long time since I've done this, but I used to have to do it all the time with label printers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
You could plug it into a stand alone switch and check the switch logs for activity.

BTW BOOTP is stupidly old tech, how old is the device?

Edit: Beaten to the punch since I had to actually lookup what BOOTP was. The crossover cable solution is good too. Connecting through a repeater hub might work as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no switches, routers, or hubs. This is a really lo-tech device (it provides connectivity for an industrial motor starter). I have a cross-over cable and an old copy of Wireshark, so I will try that route and see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.