Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it seems it needs to be tweaked...

in our experience... the the player who got it more likely wins the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Nickell
United States
Bothell
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. It is coming down to Draw 2 in the final game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
dchamp wrote:
it seems it needs to be tweaked...

in our experience... the the player who got it more likely wins the game.

I am curious as to how many times this occurred in your games? We have play-tested Yardmaster at least 30-40 times now. I can recall only a handful of instances when there was any significant swing in the game when someone played "Draw 3 Cards". It wasn't enough for us to think that the card was over powered because there is only 1 in the deck.

Often times, in our play-testing, someone will play the card and still not be able to purchase anything on the board because they drew the wrong colored cards or they don't have enough to purchase that particular cargo car.

Just wanted to give you an opposite viewpoint Patrick. From our play-testing groups, we haven't had anyone mention concern about the power level of that card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tunison
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Get your finger out of my face!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think part of the thinking behind it being overpowered is that there will be more Bonus cards in the final game -- I believe four different ones with two of each. With just one of each in the deck, it's probably not overly game-changing. As I understand, many of the Bonus cards are intended to be roughly comparable to a standard action, but they're obviously free to do. That being the case, even drawing two free cards is fairly powerful and drawing three is comparable to three full actions. Although, it's mitigated a bit by the fact that you cannot draw from the discard stack (since you just played your bonus card there) and drawing three cards at a time puts you at risk of hitting the hand limit so it's more useful when you have fewer cards.

Of course, the counter-argument is that since the Bonus card itself essentially replaces a Cargo card you would have drawn otherwise, playing it to draw two cards is really just getting 1 free blind card. So, it's certainly better than a standard draw action, but maybe upping it back to three would give it that extra "Bonus!" feeling. Basically, every Bonus card "cheats" me out of a Cargo card so the Bonus should be consistently worth more than the Cargo card I would have drawn. I guess you could guarantee that by updating each Bonus card to include drawing a free blind card first, such as "Draw 1 card, then...", that way the bonus action truly is a complete bonus and not just a deferred action. Or you could allow Bonus cards to alternately be used as wild Cargo cards, but that's not nearly as much fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeTuna wrote:
I think part of the thinking behind it being overpowered is that there will be more Bonus cards in the final game -- I believe four different ones with two of each. With just one of each in the deck, it's probably not overly game-changing. As I understand, many of the Bonus cards are intended to be roughly comparable to a standard action, but they're obviously free to do. That being the case, even drawing two free cards is fairly powerful and drawing three is comparable to three full actions. Although, it's mitigated a bit by the fact that you cannot draw from the discard stack (since you just played your bonus card there) and drawing three cards at a time puts you at risk of hitting the hand limit so it's more useful when you have fewer cards.

There isn't a hand limit in the final rules is there? It appears to say there isn't one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.